[Today at 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[Today at 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: For Those Of You Who Still Think...  (Read 5636 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
For Those Of You Who Still Think...
« on: November 29, 2006, 09:53:22 PM »
college basketball is a guard's game, check out the damage Tyler Hansbrough laid on OSU tonight.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: For Those Of You Who Still Think...
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 10:18:11 PM »
#6UNC wins over #1OSU (89-98)

#20Georgetown is the only other top 25 upset (lost to unranked Oregon 57-50).
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

MUFanInGreenBay

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 11:01:31 PM »
The powerhouse teams are great in the froncourt and backcourt. North Carolina is very talented in both areas and Ohio State when they get Oden back will be the same way. That's why they are both national championship caliber teams that have a good chance of making the Final Four along with the likes of Kansas, Florida, and UCLA. As good as Hansbrough was the two guards frrom UNC in Wayne Ellington and Ty Lawson were awesome in the 2nd half as well.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 11:27:10 PM »
college basketball is a guard's game, check out the damage Tyler Hansbrough laid on OSU tonight.

Yes, because UNC's and OSU's guards are horrible.

::)

Meanwhile Butler and their big man lineup won again tonight by crushing Valpo at Valpo.   :-*

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 11:28:35 PM »
#6UNC wins over #1OSU (89-98)

#20Georgetown is the only other top 25 upset (lost to unranked Oregon 57-50).

And Georgetown is a classic example of a team with quality big men but is struggling because of guard play right now.

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 11:41:00 PM »

Gonzaga shut Hansbrough down limiting him to 2 for 5 from the field.

SqueallyDRyan

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 11:55:09 PM »
hopefully our bigs continue to develop. i will take a double double from ooze every night
It's not the size of your Diener; its how you use it

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 07:00:42 AM »
I hate to say it, but I thought both OSU and UNC were clearly more talented and balanced than we are.   OSU with Oden will be truly frightening.   I just don't thing MU matches up well with them.   On an un-related topic, either Butler is ridiculously good, or Valpo shot their whole wad at us, or we are overrated.     Damn.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 08:35:27 AM »
I'm convinced.  How did i not see it earlier: Yes, it would be better to have fantastic everything.  If i had to pick between a team with 5 star guards and 3 star big men or a team with 5 star everything i WOULD pick the team with talent at every position.  Wow, give me a minute to bask in your insight.

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 09:21:42 AM »
I hate to say it, but I thought both OSU and UNC were clearly more talented and balanced than we are.   

I agree, I found myself multiplying the number of big men we have by five fouls to see if we'd be able to finish the game with any of them on the floor.

That being said, it's a long season, and come March anything can happen.  If we keep improving I think it would be an exciting game vs. OSU or UNC. (down in Atlanta) ;)

tonyreeder

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2006, 12:14:36 PM »
didn't see the OSU-NC game but felt the same way watching Kansas-Florida.   I realize Kansas dropped one early but that team is talented.   I don't see how Marquette could match up on the interior against either of those teams. Julian Wright  and Rush were impressive for Kansas but that freshman big guy impressed me even more.   Darrell Arthur-stud.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2006, 01:25:37 PM »
One guy in one game? Well, I'm convinced. Then again, I guess if you look at the damage Dominic James did to Valpo, it is a guards' game after all.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2006, 03:53:25 PM »
On an un-related topic, either Butler is ridiculously good, or Valpo shot their whole wad at us, or we are overrated.     Damn.
Yes, Valpo shot their whole wad at us. 

1) They couldn't miss in the second half. 
2) We didn't play our starters together very much in that game due to the rediculous officiating.  Remember - James didn't play the last 8 minutes of the first half when they started their come back due to foul trouble (I think).  He wasn't all that effective to start the second either, after sitting for so long.  Thankfully he finished strong.
2) Also due to refs - we weren't able to play the transition game or drive to the basket effectively (something our guards do often and well) because they called double digit charges in the first half alone.
4) We didn't shoot all that well, and - it can't be over-stated - they couldn't miss a 3 pointer in the second half.  Not all teams are going to shoot 80% from 3 point land on us.

It was a bad game by Marquette and they need to learn from it and do a better job of adjusting to the game situation and playing according to the conditions of the day, but you can't take away from that game any true feeling for how our team is because it wasn't a normal game.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 03:55:04 PM by TJ »

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2006, 04:05:56 PM »
Agreed, but we should have a better contingency plan in over-officiated games than counting on James to score the last 18 points.  I'd go with running inside out and having Matthews, Fitz, and Cubillan spotting up for 3s.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2006, 04:37:30 PM »
Agreed, but we should have a better contingency plan in over-officiated games than counting on James to score the last 18 points.  I'd go with running inside out and having Matthews, Fitz, and Cubillan spotting up for 3s.
I know - it was a bad effort all around, and Marquette very much needs to do a better job reacting to the current game situation rather than falling apart because of foul trouble.  I was just saying that you can't necessarily take our Valpo game, compare it to Butler's Valpo game, and then make sweeping conclusions about us being over-rated or Butler being really good, or anything else for that matter.

feedback