Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Odds of playing UW@Madison  (Read 3847 times)

Warrior of Law

• All American
Odds of playing UW@Madison
« on: March 04, 2019, 03:35:35 PM »
The thought of playing UWMadison in the tourney in a 4/5 game seems very possible.  Unfortunately, I think their game plan of playing in the 40s and 50s would not be positive for MU. A season-ending L to them would be brutal. Of course, a 20 point blowout would be awfully nice. I’d rather avoid the scenario, so what needs to happen?
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

BrewCity83

• All American
Re: Odds of playing UW@Madison
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 03:40:06 PM »
We need to get a 4-seed and they need to get a 5-seed, then we both need to be placed in the same region and both win our first round games.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 03:40:14 PM »
As discussed elsewhere, the committee generally tries to avoid rematches. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 03:41:15 PM »
I'd love to play them again. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 03:42:00 PM »
On my list of worries, this ranks somewhere below locusts swarming the neighborhood and carrying away my dog.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 03:42:25 PM »
WI would be the typical 5 seed losing to a 12 seed.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 05:18:47 PM »
1000%. Give me a rematch any day. I pray we face teams like that in the tourney
No Finish Line

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 06:22:04 PM »

Yep.

Bring 'em on.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 06:24:43 PM »
WI would be the typical 5 seed losing to a 12 seed.

I don’t know, it seems like UW always gets favorable matchups for the tourney be it where they were placed or higher seeds in their path falling to lesser teams.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2019, 06:40:54 PM »
I don’t know, it seems like UW always gets favorable matchups for the tourney be it where they were placed or higher seeds in their path falling to lesser teams.

I think we're biased.

Sure that's been the case at times. But in 2017 UW was underseeded as an 8 and beat Nova in round 2. Lost to a good Florida team in the S16.

2016 - Played underseeded (based on Kenpom) Pittsburgh then a good Xavier team. Lost to 6 seed ND in S16. Got a bit of a break when WVU lost to SFA in round 1.

2015 - Made National Title game and played excellent teams throughout.

2014 - Made final four. Beat #2 overall Kenpom in E8. Got "favorable" draw in F4 against UK but lost.

2013 - lost to Ole Miss round 1

2012 - Lost to 1 seed Syracuse in the S16.

I don't see much in the way of being lucky besides some normal variance. Seems pretty standard to me.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 06:55:18 PM »
I think we're biased.

Sure that's been the case at times. But in 2017 UW was underseeded as an 8 and beat Nova in round 2. Lost to a good Florida team in the S16.

2016 - Played underseeded (based on Kenpom) Pittsburgh then a good Xavier team. Lost to 6 seed ND in S16. Got a bit of a break when WVU lost to SFA in round 1.

2014 - Made final four. Beat #2 overall Kenpom in E8. Got "favorable" draw in F4 against UK but lost.

I don't see much in the way of being lucky besides some normal variance. Seems pretty standard to me.

I guess I was wrong on that one. Thought they had easier paths than that.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2019, 07:26:27 PM »
Crapshoot, hey?
Goal is National Championship

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2019, 08:33:58 PM »
I think we're biased.

Wisconsin has also lost in Sweet 16 against 8 seed Butler and 10 seed Davidson.  So being "lucky" didn't work out for them twice.

Now, they did have an easy path to the Elite 8 in 2008, IIRC.  UW was a 6 seed and played seeds 11, 14, 10 before #1 UNC ended the Badgers season.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2019, 08:53:03 PM »
It would be great to play the Badgers in the tournament. It would be an incredibly fun game day atmosphere. I am pretty confident we would beat them again. We won the first time around when Markus had a terrible game. It he is any where near his normal effectiveness we will win easily.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2019, 07:11:46 AM »
I think as a fan board a lot of people say things that they know wont happen. Its very unlikely that we would be in the same region let alone the same 4/5.  Having people say they pray to have this match up and if it were to happen I think this board would crap their pants. I personally don't want to play them because of the style of play and anyone who things thats an easy win is just fooling themselves.

Anyways pretty much a moot  point as I see MU getting a 3 seed and the Badgers a 4 seed.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 07:30:30 AM by HowardsWorld »

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2019, 08:49:13 AM »
odds of playing UW about the same as us winning  a national championship this year....

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2019, 08:59:30 AM »
We could also play Buzzy??

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2019, 09:26:24 AM »
I say we put Marotta in just to grab Dickless McDouchey's nutsack!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2019, 09:41:49 AM »
I would give a 0.05% chance of an MU/UW 4-5 match-up happening.

Historically, when the committee has bracketed a potential "second-round rematches," at least one team advanced to the second round as an upset... look at MU's recent (actual and potential) rematches that violated the committee guidelines:

2011 - MU was bracketed with Syracuse in a 2nd round rematch... MU advanced as an 11-seed
2012 - MU was bracketed with Norfolk State in a potential Sweet 16 match-up between teams that had already met twice in the regular season... Norfolk State was the 15 seed.

So if the committee is going to violate the rematch guidelines, they're probably only going to let it happen by virtue of at least one upset.

In other words, the committee might bracket a 2nd round rematch between a 4- and 12-seed (or a 13- and 5-seed), but they wouldn't bracket a re-match between the 4- and 5-seed.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2019, 09:43:57 AM »
Knot sure ya kan sey "nutsack" hear. Could bee offensive ta all Dicks, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2019, 09:44:44 AM »
I would give a 0.05% chance of an MU/UW 4-5 match-up happening.

Historically, when the committee has bracketed a potential "second-round rematches," at least one team advanced to the second round as an upset... look at MU's recent (actual and potential) rematches that violated the committee guidelines:

2011 - MU was bracketed with Syracuse in a 2nd round rematch... MU advanced as an 11-seed
2012 - MU was bracketed with Norfolk State in a potential Sweet 16 match-up between teams that had already met twice in the regular season... Norfolk State was the 15 seed.

So if the committee is going to violate the rematch guidelines, they're probably only going to let it happen by virtue of at least one upset.

In other words, the committee might bracket a 2nd round rematch between a 4- and 12-seed (or a 13- and 5-seed), but they wouldn't bracket a re-match between the 4- and 5-seed.

2013 rematch with Butler in the 6-3 R32 game.  No upsets there.  They'll try to avoid it yes, but I think you might be reading the tea leaves a little bit too much.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

Pops Sims

• Walk-On
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2019, 10:21:11 AM »
Always wanted to see a UW/MU tournament game. As others have stated, committee probably makes sure that doesn't happen but it would be a "must see" game if it did.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2019, 10:24:20 AM »
odds of playing UW about the same as us winning  a national championship this year....
...or same odds of us dropping completely out of the top 25 after the Creighton loss, hey?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2019, 11:40:31 AM »
2013 rematch with Butler in the 6-3 R32 game.  No upsets there.  They'll try to avoid it yes, but I think you might be reading the tea leaves a little bit too much.

My bad... that regular season game vs. Butler is still blocked from my memory, apparently.

I also overlooked that MU-NFSU in the Sweet 16 isn't a violation, since the rematch rules only apply in the first round for non-conference opponents... so I'm going to recant and say that MU vs. UW is definitely a possibility as a 4-5 match-up considering the recent emphasis on not moving teams out of their natural regions an inordinate amount of times... it's been over a decade since UW was in the Midwest Regional (and 2003 since MU was), so the stars could align.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2019, 11:45:22 AM »
My bad... that regular season game vs. Butler is still blocked from my memory, apparently.

I also overlooked that MU-NFSU in the Sweet 16 isn't a violation, since the rematch rules only apply in the first round for non-conference opponents... so I'm going to recant and say that MU vs. UW is definitely a possibility as a 4-5 match-up considering the recent emphasis on not moving teams out of their natural regions an inordinate amount of times... it's been over a decade since UW was in the Midwest Regional (and 2003 since MU was), so the stars could align.

Could happen sure, but I still think that the committee will do whatever it can to avoid some match-ups regardless.  For all the tourney appearances and success that their respective programs have had, there has never been a Duke UNC match-up.  I don't think that's entirely coincidental either.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.