[June 15, 2024, 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[June 15, 2024, 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[June 15, 2024, 04:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Majerus just can't stay out of the limelight right now  (Read 5775 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: Majerus just can't stay out of the limelight right now
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 10:03:15 PM »
sad to see

reminds me of this:

Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 11:07:52 PM »
thats silly, why can't people realize that everyone has their own opinion on issues, and that the abortion issue has nothing to do with coaching.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 11:22:08 PM »
thats silly, why can't people realize that everyone has their own opinion on issues, and that the abortion issue has nothing to do with coaching.

So if Majerus said Hitler is great and the Jews deserved to be gassed that would be ok because it's his own opinion and has nothing to do with coaching?

I honestly don't disagree with your premise, but I don't think it's as simple as you state it either.  Companies and organizations often require employees, etc to tow the company line...in this case, the employer is the church and their line wasn't towed as it were.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 09:41:59 AM »
I saw the video clip .. it was like a local news interview, just him and a newsperson, where the topic came and went in about 2 seconds as he said "I'm pro choice." .. not like he was making an argument on the subject, trying to sway people (as if that'd work).  He just stated his preference. 

I guess my problem with this is .. will they sweep through all the SLU employees and ask them their position then discipline or fire them for impurity?  Or is it .. don't ask, don't tell?  Can you attend SLU if you're pro-choice?  At the end of that road, can you be catholic and pro-choice?  Can you vote for a democrat and be Catholic?

Catholics are only slightly more pro-life than the rest of the US, which pegs in somewhere in the mid-50% range. 

I realize one argument is that Majerus is a well-known employee, but I think it's a stretch to imagine he's a thought-leader on issues of faith.

.. This is the same arch/bishop who was going to decline communion to Kerry for  the same pro-choice position.  I assume few (none?) other high-level clergy supported that because they know half their flock wouldn't qualify either.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 10:45:27 AM »
I did some research on this topic when I was in school, and here is my understanding of the situation.

I'm gonna be up front, I like Archbishop Burke. I think he is a good defender of the faith, and he's very mindful of Church teaching. In this instance, he's in the wrong. Burke is being too literal with the interpretation.

Dioceses are able to make faculty at Catholic Universities under their jurisdiction sign a document called a Mandatum. This basically says that they will uphold the teachings of the Church while teaching there. Dan Maguire, for instance, refuses to sign one, but neither MU or the Archbishop will make him. In reality, these are very, very rarely used or enforced. Because of this, Majerus should not face any disciplinary action. Same goes for any other employee/student. Also, I know this will come up, so I'll say it now- just because the institution is affiliated with the Society of Jesus does not mean that it is above the power of the Archbishop.

As far as denying Communion to pro-choice politicians, that is very much justified by Church teaching. The teaching is that if a person participates directly in the political process and favors abortion, they are in a state of grave sin and should not recieve the Eucharist. Some have tried to expand that to people who vote pro-choice, but that has not been accepted. Catholics are called to treat the Eucharist with reverence, and should not seek to recieve it under a state of grave/mortal sin. That goes for anyone, but ultimately only the person and God know what's on their heart, so if they go up for Communion, there is no way to deny that person.

However, public offcials are different cases. Their policy preferences have a direct effect on the political process, and if they favor abortion everyone knows it, including the priest/diocese. In this case it is more justifiable to not allow them to recieve the Eucharist. Not many clergy have taken this route, as it is obviously controversial. But when going by the book it is the correct course of action.

I don't want to start a holy war like the other board had, but after a lot of research/thought on this subject that is what I came up with.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 12:54:29 PM »
One of my favorite things about MUScoop is that the moderators don't tolerate four page threads on subjects like politics or abortion...

If I may quote

"In general, political threads are banned from this board unless pertinent to Marquette. In the past those topics have dominated the conversation and we'd like this board be home to friendly water-cooler type discussions that relate to Marquette, and the Milwaukee area.

If you find yourself wondering where to discuss politics on the internet, just ask any MUScoop moderator, we'd be happy to help."
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 01:02:59 PM »
HEY!  Don't confuse us with facts here.

SoCalEagle

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 01:14:40 PM »
Can you vote for a democrat and be Catholic?

Who does more for the poor and disenfranchised other than Catholics?  Who supports that mission more in the US, Dems or Reps?  Seems like a no brainer (althoguh I realize your question was just for effect). 

I guess we're back to discussing politics on this board.  Probably a good thing!!