[Today at 09:48:00 PM]

MU all-time defensive team? by NCMUFan
[Today at 09:02:10 PM]

Marquette NBA Thread by MU82
[Today at 08:33:32 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 08:02:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jalen Johnson  (Read 11449 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Jalen Johnson
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2019, 04:58:41 PM »
Weird hill to die on Cheeks.

Tired of the fauxrage victimhood complex that people have, especially those that immediately scream the worst only to find out later that’s not what happened at all.  Disgusting.  Those kids weren’t  doing anything racist, but of course we have a bunch of know it alls here and society that insisted they were and calling for their expulsion without any facts or any evidence. Disgusting.  It totally weakens actual fights against racism and other social blights when people don’t gather the information all in their joy ride to try and take others down.  Disgusting
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 05:02:02 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2019, 04:59:24 PM »
I'm going to suggest to folks that no good can come from any additional dialog.

If I'm a recruit, I'm not sure I'd want to read what's in this thread, valid or not.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2019, 05:03:41 PM »
No alteration to his face at all.  None. 

Your last paragraph, we shut down society because someone, somewhere, is going to be offended somehow by something.  It is impossible to please everyone and with so many on the prowl looking for injustices real or imagined, you might as well just stop it all.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2019, 05:03:49 PM »
PS:

Cheeks...its an Old Fashioned, not Old Fashion.  I take my cocktails seriously!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Fashioned

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2019, 05:09:39 PM »
Racial or not and 5 star recruit or not, this is still a high schooler we’re talking about here, one who probably likes to hang with his friends and play video games and act like a normal kid when he’s not being scrutinized for what he can do on a basketball court.  He doesn’t deserve the kind of heckling and negative attention he received in Port Washington.  No high school kid does.

Shame on the poster here who’s calling it fauxrage.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2019, 05:15:37 PM »
Our society is horribly divided, but blame belongs on both sides.

On one side, we have racism, MeToo and other allegations that sometimes get taken too far. On the other, we have people condoning outright sexism, racism and xenophobia. And the sentiment comes straight from the top ("very fine people on both sides"; "grab 'em by the pu$$y", etc).

We need some common sense to narrow the gap. Regrettably, I don't sense it coming anytime soon.

Unfortunate.

+Bigly

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2019, 05:16:50 PM »
No

People falsely accusing others of sexual abuse is, and it happens way too much with no evidence to support claims.  That is a bad thing.

You could have just said "false accusations are bad" without demonizing legitimate social movements.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2019, 05:20:47 PM »
Is there significance of the blue mask?  Marquette blue, or Duke blue?   :)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2019, 05:25:30 PM »
Hyperbole maybe, but innocent people’s lives ruined because of false accusations and no corroboration is troubling at the least, and has long standing societal implications at the worst.  If one can make a charge with no evidence to destroy someone, that is a huge societal problem.

If a kid is making a choice based on the actions of other 16 and 17!year olds, well that’s just life.  Kentucky hasn’t had the best racial history nor has Alabama, and yet lands great athletes all the time.  I think overthinking what a crowd doing with a picture of him that he posted and was not doctored in any way will influence his decision is a stretch.  Most are predicting he is leaving the state, regardless of yesterday’s actions. 

Looks like a giant nothing burger.

this is absolutely true!!  people have had to move, death threats, etc  and then, in the situations when all the facts come in and prove the original story to be untrue?  too late.  they could do an hour long segment on 60 minutes to exonerate someone-no matta...damage is done.  unless one is in that "club"
don't...don't don't don't don't

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2019, 05:25:43 PM »

On one side, we have racism, MeToo and other allegations that sometimes get taken too far. On the other, we have people condoning outright sexism, racism and xenophobia. And the sentiment comes straight from the top ("very fine people on both sides"; "grab 'em by the pu$$y", etc).

We need some common sense to narrow the gap. Regrettably, I don't sense it coming anytime soon.

Unfortunate.

Simple, concise, eloquently and accurately spoken.

Greeks always say “a fish smells from the head on down.” Sounds better in Greek but the point stands- at the very least RESPECT and PROFESSIONALISM needs to come out of our highest offices. That shouldn’t be too much to ask for, should it??

It’s always nice to have sports imbedded deep in my life/passions because then I can ignore much of that other nonsense and concentrate on wonderful thing like Marquette basketball

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2019, 05:26:15 PM »
No alteration to his face at all.  None. 

I never said there was alteration to his face.  I said the photo was cropped.

That opened the door for interpretation.   One way to interpret the headshot is that it looks like edited blackface.

I've seen the original photo.  Pretty easy to figure out what is going on.  But before I saw the original, I had to figure out what the headshot meant without that context.

Your last paragraph, we shut down society because someone, somewhere, is going to be offended somehow by something.  It is impossible to please everyone and with so many on the prowl looking for injustices real or imagined, you might as well just stop it all.

Umm, not sure why society needs to be shutdown.   Learn from mistakes.   Maybe next time someone says, "Guys, it kinda looks like someone in blackface.  Let's not do this."

Mistakes will still happen but keep learning from them.  Try to make society better.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2019, 05:35:41 PM »
  "you might as well just stop it all."

bingo bongo boingo ding ding ding beep honk hey hey hey winner winner chicken dinner!

because this is what "they" want!  BUT,  ya know gotta know the secret handshake, eyn'a?  ;) ;) ;)

just stay inbounds baby
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2019, 05:42:42 PM »

Unfortunate.

Perfectly said. 

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2019, 05:45:19 PM »
My take is this-
If it bothered the kid and the family then it definitely bothered me.

If nothing else it’s in complete poor taste. I get trying to get into another star athletes head, we did it when I was a kid and it’ll be done til the end of time.

However, you’ve gotta be cognizant of the times and in tune with the emotions of the current era you are living in. Even if you don’t agree with the rules of what is sensitive and what isn’t, you have to always be respectful. The black face thing has been all over the news and to do something like this- even if you “mask” (pun intended) it under the guise of “I’m just making fun of the kid for getting facials” is completely foolish and jackass-ish. I mean how are you gonna live in the world where blackface has been all over the news and do something like that without realizing the repercussions? You’re either completely disconnected with current reality, or in my opinion you think it’s appropriate and/or funny due to the current reality. Terribly poor taste at the very least.

That said, I hope Wojo gives Jalen a call tonight just to shoot the crap for a while and tell him and his brother that he fully supports them and agrees that there’s no place for that type of nonsense in the game. I think the kids would really appreciate it
I’m totally confused by all of this and ready to be educated. Assuming, and I stress assuming, the coordinated stunt by the students was simply to ride JJ for getting a facial, what is the big deal? And I may be really ignorant here, but doesn’t the term black face mean a white person altering his or her facial appearance to look like they’re black, which is bizarre and rightfully subject to criticism. In this case, given JJ’s race and lack of intention to appear as another race, none of the criteria are met here. The logic on this board seems to be that any willful change to your face now gets lumped into black face. Weird. Anyway, like I said, I am open to any counter points.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 05:48:06 PM by Windyplayer »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2019, 05:45:56 PM »
I'm just glad we've got so many people here willing to help out this young man by telling him shouldn't be offensive to him.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2019, 05:49:26 PM »
I'm just glad we've got so many people here willing to help out this young man by telling him shouldn't be offensive to him.
I guess that’s my question. I genuinely want to know how the stunt is offensive from a racial standpoint - and it obviously was for JJ. I respect that and want to better understand why so I can avoid asking the question again.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 05:51:23 PM by Windyplayer »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2019, 05:52:36 PM »
I guess that’s my question. I genuinely want to know how the stunt is offensive from a racial standpoint - and it obviously was for JJ. I respect that and want to better understand why so I can avoid asking the question again.

Why does it have to be a racial for it to be offensive to him?

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2019, 05:53:38 PM »

If I'm a recruit, I'm not sure I'd want to read what's in this thread, valid or not.

Plus Tax.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2019, 05:54:20 PM »
Why does it have to be a racial for it to be offensive to him?

Seriously. He doesn't have to justify his feelings to us or anyone else.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2019, 05:55:46 PM »
Hyperbole maybe, but innocent people’s lives ruined because of false accusations and no corroboration is troubling at the least, and has long standing societal implications at the worst.  If one can make a charge with no evidence to destroy someone, that is a huge societal problem.

I believe there are far less false accusations than legitimate accusations and it is absolutely a good thing for our society to see people having the courage to come forward, whereas in the past they might not have. Are there some false accusations?  Absolutely and that is horrible for anyone to have to endure a false accusation.  Some situations like Brett Kavanaugh we will probably never know the truth, although pretty much everyone will have their opinion on what they believe.    Someone like Bill Cosby got away with what he was doing for decades because people were afraid to speak about it, but now more people are willing to  come forward with rape allegations, racial profiling, hate crimes, etc. and by far the majority of them are legitimate claims that should be investigated.  It is just very unfortunate that a few people will put forth false accusations for political or personal gain and it does undermine the efforts of those accusations that are legit. 

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2019, 05:56:20 PM »

Repetition...

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2019, 05:57:46 PM »
Seriously. He doesn't have to justify his feelings to us or anyone else.
Oh geez. I figured the act was so incendiary because race was implicated and JJ’s retweet seemed to indicate as much. If race is not involved, then WTH are we talking about? A kid that got his panty’s in a bunch for students giving him a hard time for getting a facial? Don’t think that’s the case.

panda

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2019, 06:01:29 PM »
He's wearing a facial mask....If you jump to racism, I think you're the true racist.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2019, 06:02:20 PM »
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2019, 06:02:31 PM »
I’m totally confused by all of this and ready to be educated. Assuming, and I stress assuming, the coordinated stunt by the students was simply to ride JJ for getting a facial, what is the big deal? And I may be really ignorant here, but doesn’t the term black face mean a white person altering his or her facial appearance to look like they’re black, which is bizarre and rightfully subject to criticism. In this case, given JJ’s race and lack of intention to appear as another race, none of the criteria are met here. The logic on this board seems to be that any willful change to your face now gets lumped into black face. Weird. Anyway, like I said, I am open to any counter points.

Solid question windy.
I’ll start off with saying I’m no expert here, and I doubt anyone is. All I know is that the student athlete found it offensive and called it unacceptable and that the school has already taken measures to denounce it.

I know that I’ve seen blackface photos all over the media lately and when I first saw that this morning I thought to myself “well that’s just completely foolish and inappropriate” and my mind went to blackface.

That alone is enough to tell me that it wasn’t a good idea. Someone should’ve stopped and said well yea this might not be smart- unless of course it was done as a rouse using the face mask excuse. My guess is that if the school is issuing suspensions there was some wrong doing involved

feedback