'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Sacar - Last 5  (Read 6850 times)

We R Final Four

• All American
Re: Sacar - Last 5
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2019, 09:12:00 PM »
Sacar uses this one move/play a couple of times a game:  he gets the ball on the extended left elbow and then dribbles hard with his right hand in a curl move around at least two screens in the lane, driving all the way to the basket on the right, usually putting it in off the glass.
I was just saying how surprised I am on the success of this play. I think SA is at least 9 of 10 on this drive. It’s great. I can’t believe the opposing team’s 5 doesn’t see this coming and get on the other side of Theo/Ed.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2019, 09:55:29 PM »
Don't forget Dexter.

Feel like it is pretty likely he’ll redshirt, or see very limited minutes if not.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2019, 10:07:40 PM »
Just imagine how good Sacar would be if he wasn't the worst!

BY FAR!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2019, 10:14:49 PM »
Feel like it is pretty likely he’ll redshirt, or see very limited minutes if not.
[/quote.

I do not think any recruit comes in with the idea of redshirting, Dexter is no different, they expect to come in and play!  Then maybe...

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2019, 11:00:57 PM »
I was just saying how surprised I am on the success of this play. I think SA is at least 9 of 10 on this drive. It’s great. I can’t believe the opposing team’s 5 doesn’t see this coming and get on the other side of Theo/Ed.

We do run a lot of similar action where Sacar doesnt turn the corner and does a DHO with Markus or the Hausers. Probably just lulls the opponent to sleep and they are more focused on other guys.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2019, 11:27:04 PM »

I'm not going there, until I see him on the court at MU.  Really not concerned with his current ranking, he has nice size 6-4 and sturdy at 200lb with a wingspan of 6-8 and playing at a very good BB school.  Although he is a good tough defender he feels his offense is just as good.

In California last year Steve Nash selected Dexter to video a training film with him.

I just like to see if Dexter was under the Radar for many of the recruiting gurus.  I'm not rushing to judgement on this guy.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2019, 11:38:39 PM »
Buzz offered, Buzz knows talent

tower912

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2019, 05:08:00 AM »
Sacar uses this one move/play a couple of times a game:  he gets the ball on the extended left elbow and then dribbles hard with his right hand in a curl move around at least two screens in the lane, driving all the way to the basket on the right, usually putting it in off the glass.
JjJ scored a lot of points off this play.  Haanif got buckets starting from the right elbow.  Apparently a staple.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2019, 07:11:41 AM »
Buzz offered, Buzz knows talent

Wojo doesn't?

Also, there's a long list of busts from Buzz's high school recruiting, so might want to rethink your position

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2019, 09:33:08 AM »
Even before Sacar scored more, he was a very good fit for this team.

I've given Sand-Knit some crap (and deservedly so) for his dopey (and inaccurate) diatribe against Sacar, but I almost don't blame him. Lots of casual fans look at points, and when they don't see enough of them they assume a player isn't contributing enough.

Building a successful team is like putting together a puzzle. You don't need -- or even want -- every player to be an offensive machine. We had that in Rowsey, and the team result wasn't great because we couldn't play D. It wasn't Rowsey's "fault," he was who he was and we all knew that going in.

We have the best scorer in the Big East playing PG, so we needed a bigger, defensive-minded player at the 2. One could argue that an even bigger need was a true pass-first PG who could also play D so Markus wouldn't have to have the ball so much, but the Markus/Sacar pairing is working pretty darn well. Add in that we have a good (and sometimes great) scorer at the wing in Sam and another wing who can score (even if he's a freshman who might have hit the wall a bit), and again, it's perfect having a defense-first guy like Sacar.

That Sacar has stepped up his offense just as Joey has struggled ... that's been fantastic for the team. If you would have told Scoop before Nova that we'd get 4 points combined from the Hausers, many of us would have wondered if we'd lose by 25 or maybe only 15. But Sacar came through, outplaying Booth most of the game, Markus went off, and our defense did its job.

We won a BEast title (when the conference was much better) and went to the Elite Eight with a lineup that included Junior and Lockett; the former was far from a great PG and the latter was the subject of much Scoop ridicule for a couple months. But those guys fit well into how that team was built. By the time Ron Harper was in the backcourt alongside Jordan, he was a shell of the offensive player he had been before his knees got bad. Those threepeat Bulls started 3 guys who contributed little on offense.

I like the way our team is built -- a dynamic scorer who can take over any game, an outstanding all-around player who is capable of scoring 20-30, a wing with length who can hit 3s and do a little of everything, a rim-protector, a defense-first guard who also can slash to the basket and hit an open 3, a tough backup 5, a couple of other good role players on the bench. Few teams in the country have "puzzles" as well-put-together as that ... which is why we are one of the top 10.

And I love the way the puzzle piece named Sacar has embraced his role (and improved on it) to help make us legit contenders.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2019, 09:10:40 AM »

I've given Sand-Knit some crap (and deservedly so) for his dopey (and inaccurate) diatribe against Sacar, but I almost don't blame him. Lots of casual fans look at points, and when they don't see enough of them they assume a player isn't contributing enough.

Building a successful team is like putting together a puzzle. You don't need -- or even want -- every player to be an offensive machine. We had that in Rowsey, and the team result wasn't great because we couldn't play D. It wasn't Rowsey's "fault," he was who he was and we all knew that going in.

We have the best scorer in the Big East playing PG, so we needed a bigger, defensive-minded player at the 2. One could argue that an even bigger need was a true pass-first PG who could also play D so Markus wouldn't have to have the ball so much, but the Markus/Sacar pairing is working pretty darn well. Add in that we have a good (and sometimes great) scorer at the wing in Sam and another wing who can score (even if he's a freshman who might have hit the wall a bit), and again, it's perfect having a defense-first guy like Sacar.

That Sacar has stepped up his offense just as Joey has struggled ... that's been fantastic for the team. If you would have told Scoop before Nova that we'd get 4 points combined from the Hausers, many of us would have wondered if we'd lose by 25 or maybe only 15. But Sacar came through, outplaying Booth most of the game, Markus went off, and our defense did its job.

We won a BEast title (when the conference was much better) and went to the Elite Eight with a lineup that included Junior and Lockett; the former was far from a great PG and the latter was the subject of much Scoop ridicule for a couple months. But those guys fit well into how that team was built. By the time Ron Harper was in the backcourt alongside Jordan, he was a shell of the offensive player he had been before his knees got bad. Those threepeat Bulls started 3 guys who contributed little on offense.

I like the way our team is built -- a dynamic scorer who can take over any game, an outstanding all-around player who is capable of scoring 20-30, a wing with length who can hit 3s and do a little of everything, a rim-protector, a defense-first guard who also can slash to the basket and hit an open 3, a tough backup 5, a couple of other good role players on the bench. Few teams in the country have "puzzles" as well-put-together as that ... which is why we are one of the top 10.

And I love the way the puzzle piece named Sacar has embraced his role (and improved on it) to help make us legit contenders.

Great post.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2019, 09:41:55 AM »

Very well written 82.  And let me add that the 9th and 10th men on the roster have embraced their role and have contributed mightily when called upon in limited opportunities, even as recently as Tuesday night when both were integral to our success.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2019, 09:45:18 AM »

You really nailed it with this post. I've long felt Sacar's role on the team was vastly underrated and the criticism of his weaknesses ridiculously exaggerated. I can't say I foresaw the play we have seen lately, and who knows if it will continue to this level, but either way he is a key contributor to this team's success. He has truly proven to be a Swiss Army knife type player who displays a new tool you didn't know he had until we needed it. Couldn't be happier for him.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2019, 09:47:33 AM »
Props to Sacar for all the work he's put in - it's starting to pay off.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2019, 09:52:08 AM »
You really nailed it with this post. I've long felt Sacar's role on the team was vastly underrated and the criticism of his weaknesses ridiculously exaggerated. I can't say I foresaw the play we have seen lately, and who knows if it will continue to this level, but either way he is a key contributor to this team's success. He has truly proven to be a Swiss Army knife type player who displays a new tool you didn't know he had until we needed it. Couldn't be happier for him.

Here's my next hope.  That some underclassman someday learns from the Sacar model.  Don't quit and slink off to some downtrodden A-10 team.  Work your arse off during a redshirt year and turn yourself into a 25-30 minute guy on a powerhouse.  Honestly, that door might be open for Jamal.  He literally could not ask for two better role models than Matty (for this year) and Sacar.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2019, 11:14:16 AM »
Here's my next hope.  That some underclassman someday learns from the Sacar model.  Don't quit and slink off to some downtrodden A-10 team.  Work your arse off during a redshirt year and turn yourself into a 25-30 minute guy on a powerhouse.  Honestly, that door might be open for Jamal.  He literally could not ask for two better role models than Matty (for this year) and Sacar.
It all depends on the kid and what they want.  I never blame a kid for wanting to play, even if that means transferring to a mid major.  They've worked really hard to get to D1 basketball and using up 1 or 2 years of eligibility riding bench has to be tough.  If they're fine playing a smaller role for a better team, more power to them.

feedback