[Today at 09:45:23 PM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[Today at 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[Today at 08:47:22 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by Goose
[Today at 07:54:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: MU Women  (Read 2552 times)

muguru

• All American
MU Women
« on: February 11, 2019, 08:49:14 PM »
Saw the women's committee released their top 16 seeds as well tonight..MU women are #9, the top 3 seed
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
Re: MU Women
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 09:01:11 PM »
And in Chicago at the Wintrust Arena which would be awesome!  NC State is just above them at #8 and are very likely to drop before the end of the season (the ACC is very tough and they had the easier part of their conference schedule the first part of the season).  But I'm not sure how likely Marquette is to move up to a 2 seed.  I'm very happy they're in the picture to host first and second round NCAA Tourney games at the Al and if they can end up in the Chicago regional, all the better.

Go Marquette!

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 09:02:44 PM »
Marquette has to win out. They drop one game and they will plummet.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 09:07:18 PM »
And in Chicago at the Wintrust Arena which would be awesome!  NC State is just above them at #8 and are very likely to drop before the end of the season (the ACC is very tough and they had the easier part of their conference schedule the first part of the season).  But I'm not sure how likely Marquette is to move up to a 2 seed.  I'm very happy they're in the picture to host first and second round NCAA Tourney games at the Al and if they can end up in the Chicago regional, all the better.

Go Marquette!

This is an honest question because I don't know..is the AL big enough to host games?? Does the NCAA have a requirement for seating capacity??
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 09:08:03 PM »
This is an honest question because I don't know..is the AL big enough to host games?? Does the NCAA have a requirement for seating capacity??
We played the NIT in the Al
No Finish Line

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 09:18:30 PM »

I see what you're saying but I don't know that they are going to win out.  They are the top 3 seed now and I think that gives them a cushion to lose one game and still be a 4 seed at the worst.  Sure a 3 or even 2 seed would be great but getting the 4 seed and being able to host first and second round tournament games is the biggest thing in my opinion.

I personally am worried about the game at St. John's this Friday - MU tends to struggle against them and had a close game at home against them.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 09:37:42 PM »

This

Big East not so great in women’s hoops so they need to keep it going with no stubbed toe. 

The top 4 teams and the rest of the country is a huge drop off
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 09:48:30 PM »

That's a valid question.  I googled it tonight but cannot find the answer.  It's been a realistic shot for them to host for quite awhile now so I thought I would have heard if the Al wouldn't work to host.  The Al was used for NCAA volleyball games in the fall but I realize that's a different sport and could have different seating requirements.

Edited to add - they can apparently host at the Al based on what Marquette tweeted out tonight about hosting first and second round games at the Al:
https://twitter.com/MarquetteWBB/status/1095127720529444864
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 09:58:53 PM by Marquette Fan »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 11:42:22 PM »
Pretty sure there isn't a capacity requirement to host the first two rounds. The NCAA website simply says "campus sites." I guess they figure that if you're a good enough program to earn a top 4 seed, you play in (or would have access to) an arena that would be suitable.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 06:13:19 AM »
Pretty sure there isn't a capacity requirement to host the first two rounds. The NCAA website simply says "campus sites." I guess they figure that if you're a good enough program to earn a top 4 seed, you play in (or would have access to) an arena that would be suitable.

There used to be a capacity requirement but I think the rules for hosting are different now. 

Tulane was a 4 seed in 1997 and had to play at 5 seed George Washington because Fogelman Arena wasn't large enough.  A google search reveals capacity was 3,500 then so right around the Al's capacity (Fogelman has since been expanded).  They tried out pre-determined first and second round sites for awhile before going back to the top 16 seeds host no matter what.  So the rules about seating capacity may have changed then.

A google search and a post on another message board only found a document about bid requirements for potential host schools and a hosting operations manual.  Neither say anything about a specific seating requirement.

And in any case, Marquette would have had to put in a bid to host by now so they would know if they can play at the Al or not :).  I'm taking their tweet about games at the Al as confirmation that they can host there.

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2019, 07:53:36 AM »
Most of these teams are all going to get another loss.  Even say ND and Louisville, well only one can win the ACC tourney