[Today at 02:48:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Net Ranking  (Read 27033 times)

muguru

• All American
Re: Net Ranking
« Reply #125 on: February 12, 2019, 12:29:35 PM »
When it comes to Marquette basketball, guru, you are NOT competitive. Until you take the court, you are just an observer. That is not a competitive role. You may be so in pickup basketball, Monopoly, or Fortnite, but you are not competitive in regards to Marquette basketball. Period.

Alright, you see it however you want it. Tell you what then, let's make a deal..I will stop posting here altogether if one simple thing occurs : PEOPLE STOP SAYING "WE" when it comes to MU BB. Please, as much as I am not part of the team(according to you), then nor is anyone else here, so DO NOT say WE. Huge pet peeve of mine. WE implies you play on the team.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #126 on: February 12, 2019, 12:56:37 PM »
When it comes to Marquette basketball, guru, you are NOT competitive. Until you take the court, you are just an observer. That is not a competitive role. You may be so in pickup basketball, Monopoly, or Fortnite, but you are not competitive in regards to Marquette basketball. Period.

You are speculating. You do not know a thing about what goes on or why I consider myself "competitive" as a "fan". If you don't deal with Badger fans on a regular basis then you wouldn't understand...but that is only part of it. I will leave it at that.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #127 on: February 12, 2019, 12:58:39 PM »
PEOPLE STOP SAYING "WE" when it comes to MU BB. Please, as much as I am not part of the team(according to you), then nor is anyone else here, so DO NOT say WE. Huge pet peeve of mine. WE implies you play on the team.

Disagree. "We" refers to members of the Marquette community. It includes the alums, boosters, students, and season ticket holders.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #128 on: February 12, 2019, 12:59:48 PM »
My only pet peeve with we is when people say "we" when the team wins and "them" when the team loses.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #129 on: February 12, 2019, 01:10:12 PM »
You are speculating. You do not know a thing about what goes on or why I consider myself "competitive" as a "fan". If you don't deal with Badger fans on a regular basis then you wouldn't understand...but that is only part of it. I will leave it at that.
Nor exactly true.  When I asked you this, you stated that you were "competing" by being in the stands cheering.  I would hazard that no one, other than you, would define sitting in the stands as "competing".
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #130 on: February 12, 2019, 01:12:32 PM »
My only pet peeve with we is when people say "we" when the team wins and "them" when the team loses.

This is a funny thought.
I can relate. "They" need to get their act together  :(
  ...  "We" are a 3-seed!  :)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #131 on: February 12, 2019, 01:33:31 PM »
Alright, you see it however you want it. Tell you what then, let's make a deal..I will stop posting here altogether if one simple thing occurs : PEOPLE STOP SAYING "WE" when it comes to MU BB. Please, as much as I am not part of the team(according to you), then nor is anyone else here, so DO NOT say WE. Huge pet peeve of mine. WE implies you play on the team.

First, I don't want you to stop posting on Scoop. When you're not acting crazy and/or boasting about your superiority, you add value to the board.

Second, what do you chant? "They are (clap, clap) Mar-quette!"?

I attended Marquette. I am a part of Marquette and it is a part of me. I still say "we" when I talk about the school, period, not even just the basketball team.

And even those who didn't go to Marquette, they can feel a part of the overall community or the basketball community. I didn't play for the Carolina Panthers, but I still often say "we" ... and it's a pet peeve of mine that some yahoos are so easily outraged that they have that as a pet peeve of theirs.

It's what fans do. Except, I guess, superior ones such as yourself. Don't take it out on us that you don't feel like you are part of the community.

So I won't stop calling MU "we." But from now on, though, I do promise to chant:

"We are (clap, clap) Mar-quette! Except guru! We are (clap, clap) Mar-quette! Except guru!"

OK? Feel better?

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #132 on: February 12, 2019, 01:51:17 PM »

We are all part of the environment, we cheer, we buy tickets, we help create a winning atmosphere.

WE ARE MARQUETTE
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

muguru

• All American
« Reply #133 on: February 12, 2019, 02:20:18 PM »
First, I don't want you to stop posting on Scoop. When you're not acting crazy and/or boasting about your superiority, you add value to the board.

Second, what do you chant? "They are (clap, clap) Mar-quette!"?

I attended Marquette. I am a part of Marquette and it is a part of me. I still say "we" when I talk about the school, period, not even just the basketball team.

And even those who didn't go to Marquette, they can feel a part of the overall community or the basketball community. I didn't play for the Carolina Panthers, but I still often say "we" ... and it's a pet peeve of mine that some yahoos are so easily outraged that they have that as a pet peeve of theirs.

It's what fans do. Except, I guess, superior ones such as yourself. Don't take it out on us that you don't feel like you are part of the community.

So I won't stop calling MU "we." But from now on, though, I do promise to chant:

"We are (clap, clap) Mar-quette! Except guru! We are (clap, clap) Mar-quette! Except guru!"

OK? Feel better?

From having ties to the University..I get that, saying "we"..you attended school there..in saying "we" in reference to the basketball team..unless you play on the team, or..wait for it somehow affect the outcome(which can't be possible as so many here say) then I don't like the word "we". Maybe if I was an alum i'd understand it more..but that doesn't excuse the one's that do it for pro sports.

I mean if the term "we" is acceptable..that implies we are part of the team in some way..but I have been told repeatedly..I'm not. I'm a season ticket holder..does that count? Im so confused.  8-)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #134 on: February 12, 2019, 02:22:16 PM »
I mean if the term "we" is acceptable..that implies we are part of the team in some way..but I have been told repeatedly..I'm not. I'm a season ticket holder..does that count? Im so confused.  8-)
No, it implies we are part of the university.

There, hopefully you are no longer confused.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #135 on: February 12, 2019, 02:38:02 PM »
No, it implies we are part of the university.

There, hopefully you are no longer confused.

And so the thinking goes, the basketball team is part of the University, therefore "we" is acceptable in reference to the basketball team?? Just trying to understand.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #136 on: February 12, 2019, 03:03:53 PM »

Very random, but, ...few coaches do a better job of saying we and our than Jay Wright. It is always our team with him and not my team. It’s a small thing that I wish more coaches did.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #137 on: February 12, 2019, 03:53:18 PM »
From having ties to the University..I get that, saying "we"..you attended school there..in saying "we" in reference to the basketball team..unless you play on the team, or..wait for it somehow affect the outcome(which can't be possible as so many here say) then I don't like the word "we". Maybe if I was an alum i'd understand it more..but that doesn't excuse the one's that do it for pro sports.

You didn't even go to Marquette??

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #138 on: February 12, 2019, 03:57:39 PM »

That’s just fine. Plenty of room for him.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 03:59:31 PM by TinyTimsLittleBrother »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #139 on: February 12, 2019, 05:19:35 PM »

That’s just fine. Plenty of room for him.

Amen. Always more room on the bandwagon. As long as you don't pull the Bucky special and claim you're an alum when you went to UW Directional School
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #140 on: February 12, 2019, 05:28:22 PM »
+1.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #141 on: February 12, 2019, 05:33:19 PM »
Amen. Always more room on the bandwagon. As long as you don't pull the Bucky special and claim you're an alum when you went to UW Directional School

Absolutely. I have been a Marquette fan since childhood but did not attend Marquette until graduate school.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #142 on: February 12, 2019, 05:40:34 PM »

Nope, been a HUGE fan since i was a kid.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #143 on: February 12, 2019, 06:10:38 PM »
Nope, been a HUGE fan since i was a kid.
Mr. Guru:
Please always continue to refer to MU as We. You are a huge fan and love the team. That is " We Worthy" in my book.   
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #144 on: February 12, 2019, 06:18:08 PM »
And so the thinking goes, the basketball team is part of the University, therefore "we" is acceptable in reference to the basketball team?? Just trying to understand.
Eh, I don't necessarily disagree with your basic point that "we" aren't in the basketball program.  I tend to shy away from using "we" but do admittedly sometimes use it, as it just flows easier than always saying "MU" or "Marquette"

"We need to get a stop here" is a little easier than "Marquette needs to get a stop here."

YMMV, but doesn't seem like something to get your knickers in a twist about.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #145 on: February 12, 2019, 08:12:00 PM »
BTT

Let's review shall we?? Pomeroy had it 66-65 UW. A 1 point WISCONSIN win. Guru Had it...72-64 MSU. An 8 point MSU win. The ACTUAL score was...67-59 MSU WIN. Huh, Imagine that. DEAD on. I think we are now done here...I  won this thread, yes?? My point has been made..game, set, match...Guru.

I will say something like 72-64 MSU.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #146 on: February 12, 2019, 08:19:05 PM »
BTT

Let's review shall we?? Pomeroy had it 66-65 UW. A 1 point WISCONSIN win. Guru Had it...72-64 MSU. An 8 point MSU win. The ACTUAL score was...67-59 MSU WIN. Huh, Imagine that. DEAD on. I think we are now done here...I  won this thread, yes?? My point has been made..game, set, match...Guru.

Did you expect LSU to beat Kentucky?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #147 on: February 12, 2019, 09:24:16 PM »
BTT

Where'd you have Louisville and Duke?

Purdue Maryland?

Michigan Penn State?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 09:40:57 PM by jesmu84 »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #148 on: February 12, 2019, 09:43:03 PM »
Where'd you have Louisville and Duke?

Purdue Maryland?

Michigan Penn State?

+1, +2, +3
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #149 on: February 12, 2019, 09:44:48 PM »
This is so pointless to keep arguing with him. He only picks the game that fits his narrative.

feedback