[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: AAF Football  (Read 2727 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
AAF Football
« on: February 09, 2019, 09:22:54 PM »
Impressed so far. The 30 second commercial breaks and 35 second play clock make the game pace so much better than the NFL. The access to the replay official...fantastic.

It’s not supposed to be the NFL from a quality of play perspective, but give Charlie Ebersol and his crew credit, the NFL hopefully catches on to some of this.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 10:27:35 AM by mu_hilltopper »

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
Re: AAF
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 01:02:23 PM »
2.9 million viewers on CBS.
Today, there is a game on CBSSN at 3pm and tonight on the NFL Network.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 07:38:04 PM »
I thought it was great. They did an incredible job in placing the right veteran coaches and also in acquiring top quality referees. The games were highly watchable... They were designed from square 1 to be watchable.

The QB play in the games I saw was pretty fair, and might be an issue for the average fan. I also think that the average fan will watch and feel strange that they don't have an emotional connection towards any team winning. I actually started out rooting for San Diego and ended up enjoying watching a different team entirely (Birmingham).

IMO, they are selling themselves to the NFL. The NFL is telling them to compete with and beat the XFL first.

With the NFL likely to downsize offseason rosters from a pretty ludicrous number (90) alongside cutting down the amount of preseason games, I think there will be a natural opening in the future for even better players participating in the AAF during the NFL offseason. Surely the NFL will want to wet their beak in any rule changes they effect that prop up another business. I'm convinced that the NFL intends on partnering with or buying the AAF.

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 08:12:02 PM »
I'm convinced that the NFL intends on partnering with or buying the AAF.

Well considering that the NFL Network is one of the broadcast partners, I think the partnership has already begun.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 08:15:17 PM »
Well considering that the NFL Network is one of the broadcast partners, I think the partnership has already begun.

Ok. I meant in taking a financial stake in the business.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 10:04:17 AM »
I watched yesterday.

I like the no kickoff rule. The game flows much better without it. Now I didn't see this, but an onside kick has been replaced with a 4th and 12 from the kicking team's 28 yard line.  I like the idea and I hope the NFL considers it.

No extra points so teams have to go for two. I would rather make a TD seven points with a team risking one point with the potential to gain two instead. 

The pass rushing rules are strange. Only a certain number of defenders can rush the passer and they must come from a box that is just a few yards back from the line of scrimmage and a yard or so outside the offensive tackles.  So no corner blitzes or anything like that. Super Bowl notwithstanding, I think that would just neuter defenses even more in the NFL, which I think has gone too far anyway.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
Re: AAF Football
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 09:00:01 AM »
I can't think the TV dollar is that much for the AAF. If this league needs attendance dollar, those crowds in Birmingham and really the case for Memphis as it was the home opener, was very bad.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 10:01:27 AM »
I can't think the TV dollar is that much for the AAF. If this league needs attendance dollar, those crowds in Birmingham and really the case for Memphis as it was the home opener, was very bad.

The dollars are small, but they are getting some exposure.  I see it more as a Petri dish for the NFL to try ideas indirectly through AAF.  You will see NFL make some big announcements in the coming weeks on a number of things that include on field and off field.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2019, 01:44:07 PM »

It is a startup with no brand loyalty. People have lived their entire lives being attached to their sports teams and couldn't imagine life without them.

Look at the "LA" Chargers and how much they struggled to fill a tiny stadium.

Eventually, people in these areas will come around. Right now it is about putting a quality product on the field and building that loyalty. You can't force people to obsess over a new team they are supposed to love... Especially when we have been told for decades, time and again, that another professional league could never possibly work. It will take a while for people to change their already made-up minds and then to also start truly following a team. Another few years of quality football, growth, classic games etc and that loyalty will come.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2019, 11:43:59 AM »
So much for the AAF.  Suspending operations today and may end up folding by the end of the week.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2019, 12:27:12 PM »
Maybe Sabre Printers will come in and save them.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2019, 12:31:13 PM »
This is not particularly surprising.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2019, 05:02:56 PM »
A national football league with little appeal and almost no financial support is folding? Rip.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2019, 05:21:42 PM »
Thoughts and prayers.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback