collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Boating  (Read 2679 times)

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
Boating
« on: February 07, 2019, 12:26:49 PM »
Since so many MU grads live on or very near large bodies of water I am curious where people are at in terms of boating.

Personally, I have always been a sailor and have never considered a stinkpot but we are looking at boats and theBabyDavid's mother has assured me that her role in life is not to grind sails for me. We are therefore considering no more than 36' of sail boat or, shudder, getting a stinkpot.

Any thoughts on sail vs power and, for power, any recommendations?

Power is likely where we will end up because of larger cabins and the imperfect winds of Puget Sound.

I would like to hear what Scoopers like about their boats.

For Chili - as much as I might welcome a Boston Whaler for whacking salmon I already know that theBabyDavid's mother would not consider that a legitimate option.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Re: Boating
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 12:54:49 PM »
To quote someone whose opinion I respect:

"Some people find joy in Christmas at home with extended family gathered round while others prefer the solitude of a Christmas sunset on the Andaman Sea with the spinnaker out on your 36' Yamaha."
Ludum habemus.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 04:16:28 PM »
Where I am in terms of boating: my wife gets motion sickness just by looking at a boat.

Sigh....

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 04:17:43 PM »
I thought boats were just giant holes people threw money into.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 07:16:13 PM »
I thought boats were just giant holes people threw money into.

No, that's something else, @ina?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 08:46:21 PM »
No, that's something else, @ina?

Well, hopefully not giant holes....

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 08:58:23 PM »
She'd like a 45' center console Grady White.

Quad 425 Yamadogs, port and starboard rod holders, 400+ gallon live well, and tons o' teak.

Comes with an optional child seat too.

https://www.gradywhite.com/models/center-consoles/canyon-456/
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 09:06:06 PM by real chili 83 »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 09:04:40 PM »
When my boat goes fast, it’s fast.  When my boat goes slow, it goes on autopilot.  I can launch and retrieve it by myself, it always knows exactly where to go, and stays exactly where it’s supposed to be.  Once the sun hits noon, it converts from fishing rig to runabout in less than 10 minutes.  The wash down pump makes for a great counterattack against townies who arm themselves with water balloons and super soakers.  And when I really want to mess with people, I can kick out 1000 watts of bass at 1 ohm.

Sailboats are like the Prius of the water... people like to talk about how great they are, but what they really want is for people to talk about how great they are.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mudeltaforcegurl

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2019, 09:54:01 PM »
Unless you live on a lake or are an avid fisherman or woman owning a boat isn’t really worth the cost and maintenance.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 12:27:21 AM »
Since so many MU grads live on or very near large bodies of water I am curious where people are at in terms of boating.

Personally, I have always been a sailor and have never considered a stinkpot but we are looking at boats and theBabyDavid's mother has assured me that her role in life is not to grind sails for me. We are therefore considering no more than 36' of sail boat or, shudder, getting a stinkpot.

Any thoughts on sail vs power and, for power, any recommendations?

Power is likely where we will end up because of larger cabins and the imperfect winds of Puget Sound.

I would like to hear what Scoopers like about their boats.

For Chili - as much as I might welcome a Boston Whaler for whacking salmon I already know that theBabyDavid's mother would not consider that a legitimate option.

Keefe,

Was actually kinda surprised by this question.  I figured being an aviator, you’d have the need for speed?

I own a 2017 24’ Crownline open bow boat.  I absolutely love it, and probably use it about 15-20 times in a season.  It’s like a miniature vacation without being on “vacation”

The boat is big enough to go out on Lake Michigan (staying close to shore of course) yet small enough to go on inland lakes of smaller size and enjoy watersport activities

With the new advances mercury and other engine platforms have come up with, gas usage is not even a thought.  It’s amazing how efficient these mercruiser engines are.  I don’t have kids, but hopefully when I do, I can show them the thrills of boating, swimming, and becoming closer as a family.

I used to own a crotchrocket, and decided to sell it (which tore me up).  I instead bought my boat, and have absolutely zero regrets.  I did think about going the used route but the more I looked at them, the more nervous I became.  I didn’t want to end up with someone’s junk and be stuck with an expensive paper weight.  The thought of the lifetime hull warranty, and knowing I would know the entire history of the boat was piece of mind for me.

In regards to sailing, I personally think it’s way too much work and boring, but I get why people may enjoy it.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 12:38:24 AM by MUpilot »

mudeltaforcegurl

• Walk-On
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 05:25:48 AM »
If I’m going out on a boat in Wisconsin I’d rather be lounging and enjoying the tranquility of nature, along with cocktails and conversation with friends and family.

The few times I’ve been on a speed boat there was a lot of water spraying all over. It’s fun for a while, but there comes a point where the speed and spray is enough. You can’t really swim in most lakes in Wisconsin either because of the weeds and it’s just too damn cold.

I was lucky enough to be able to go out on a yacht in Grand Cayman a few times. That is a lot fun however.  You can jump off and go for a swim in warm clear water, and not have weeds wrapping around your ankles.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 05:28:16 AM by mudeltaforcegurl »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 08:15:22 AM »

When my boat goes fast, it’s fast.  When my boat goes slow, it goes on autopilot.  I can launch and retrieve it by myself, it always knows exactly where to go, and stays exactly where it’s supposed to be.  Once the sun hits noon, it converts from fishing rig to runabout in less than 10 minutes.  The wash down pump makes for a great counterattack against townies who arm themselves with water balloons and super soakers.  And when I really want to mess with people, I can kick out 1000 watts of bass at 1 ohm.

Miami Vice-style cigarette boat?

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2019, 09:57:08 AM »
Rent.

I don't think i need to share the full proverb.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2019, 11:31:48 AM »
I definitely need a friend with a boat.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2019, 11:40:23 AM »
Miami Vice-style cigarette boat?

Oh God, no.  Never understood why someone would drop upwards of six figures just to put glasspacks on a boat.

Mine's a 20' open-bow.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2019, 05:02:33 PM »
come on jon, surely/shirley you must be referring to "motor boating" eyn'a?  then yes, all of the above ;D
don't...don't don't don't don't

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2019, 07:59:45 PM »
They're now also in wisconsin and Illinois but not much presence... but last summer in Minnesota, this was a great membership...

https://yourboatclub.com/

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2019, 08:05:05 AM »

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2019, 08:54:54 AM »

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2019, 10:07:02 PM »
I live adjacent to the Indian River in Florida for 7 months of the year and when I want a boat, I go up to Captain Hiram's and rent one for the day. About $250.00 for a six person pontoon boat that allows me to gracefully cruise the estuary. A case of beer, maybe some munchies and a chance to cavort with dolphins and manatees.

Best part is at the end of the day, I give it back to Captain Hiram and go home!!!

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2019, 02:06:43 AM »
She'd like a 45' center console Grady White.

Quad 425 Yamadogs, port and starboard rod holders, 400+ gallon live well, and tons o' teak.

Comes with an optional child seat too.

https://www.gradywhite.com/models/center-consoles/canyon-456/

Beautiful but one problem: Outboard

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2019, 02:48:44 AM »
To quote someone whose opinion I respect:

"Some people find joy in Christmas at home with extended family gathered round while others prefer the solitude of a Christmas sunset on the Andaman Sea with the spinnaker out on your 36' Yamaha."

Lord Larry

I penned that and still stand by it. But living in SE Asia there was a lot more opportunity for world-class blue water sailing. Frankly, I don't see us heading through the Strait and plowing through NorPac Japanese Current rollers.

Another complication is theBabyDavid who is not yet two. If I know anything it is that sailing and infants are not the best mix.

These days a boat is mainly for genteel cruising for long weekends in the San Juans. I know a cruiser is more practical but I really do prefer sail.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2019, 03:11:40 AM »
Keefe,

Was actually kinda surprised by this question.  I figured being an aviator, you’d have the need for speed?

I own a 2017 24’ Crownline open bow boat.  I absolutely love it, and probably use it about 15-20 times in a season.  It’s like a miniature vacation without being on “vacation”

The boat is big enough to go out on Lake Michigan (staying close to shore of course) yet small enough to go on inland lakes of smaller size and enjoy watersport activities

With the new advances mercury and other engine platforms have come up with, gas usage is not even a thought.  It’s amazing how efficient these mercruiser engines are.  I don’t have kids, but hopefully when I do, I can show them the thrills of boating, swimming, and becoming closer as a family.

I used to own a crotchrocket, and decided to sell it (which tore me up).  I instead bought my boat, and have absolutely zero regrets.  I did think about going the used route but the more I looked at them, the more nervous I became.  I didn’t want to end up with someone’s junk and be stuck with an expensive paper weight.  The thought of the lifetime hull warranty, and knowing I would know the entire history of the boat was piece of mind for me.

In regards to sailing, I personally think it’s way too much work and boring, but I get why people may enjoy it.

Sailing is a lot of work. And so is fly fishing. Or getting a beautiful woman to want you. But the effort is always worth it.

One of my boats was actually used - a 36' Yamaha. She was beautifully maintained and I had enough confidence in her to take her for up to two weeks through blue water.

feedback