Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The 'Other' Nationally Ranked Marquette Team - 2 home games this weekend  (Read 3047 times)

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
The Marquette Women's Basketball team who is up to a program high 7th in the Coaches' Poll and 8th in the AP poll only has 4 regular season home games remaining.  There are two home games this weekend - Fri. 2/8 at 7P vs. Georgetown and Sun. 2/10 vs. Villanova at 2P.  The tickets are very cheap and there's not a bad seat in the house.  Add another Marquette game to National Marquette weekend and get out and support this great team who is having a phenomenal season.  They are 10-0 in the Big East and have a 4 game lead in the loss column over the next two teams in the standings.

But these last 4 regular season home games are not likely the last home games this season.  The top 16 seeds in the Women's Tournament get to host first and second round NCAA Tournament games and Marquette is projected to do so at this time.  This gives them great opportunity to make a trip to the Sweet 16 for the first time ever and hopefully beyond.

Go Marquette!!!

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: The 'Other' Nationally Ranked Marquette Team - 2 home games this weekend
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 08:37:57 PM »
Great to see the MU Women doing so incredibly well. Coach Kieger has them on a serious upward trend.

Go Marquette!!

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 02:44:36 PM »
If you have ever thought "I should catch a women's game someday"  That day is now, four home games to go!  Friday night and Sunday afternoon this weekend.
     This obviously the best team the women have ever had!  They have a real shot at hosting NCAA games!  I will be there Sunday with four others!  They really deserve some big crowds the rest of the way!

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 03:12:34 PM »
Do they serve beer at the AL?
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

MUEng92

• All American

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 07:04:25 PM »
And there is free admission for Friday night's game with the pep rally getting moved to inside the Al due to the cold weather:

http://nationalmarquetteday.com/pep-rally.php

I sure hope they can greatly increase the crowds for the last 4 regular season home games - they deserve a lot more fan support.

Go Marquette!!!

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 07:07:37 PM »
If you have ever thought "I should catch a women's game someday"  That day is now, four home games to go!  Friday night and Sunday afternoon this weekend.
     This obviously the best team the women have ever had!  They have a real shot at hosting NCAA games!  I will be there Sunday with four others!  They really deserve some big crowds the rest of the way!

They are doing their first announcement of the top 16 for the Women on Monday night.  I know Marquette will be included - will be interesting to see where they are.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 10:45:55 PM »
Is there a Net Rankings for the women of NCAA?
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2019, 10:52:07 PM »
Is there a Net Rankings for the women of NCAA?

They aren't using it yet for Women's Basketball.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/the-ncaa-tournament-committee-will-select-and-seed-teams-using-a-new-ranking-system-after-killing-the-rpi/

From that article:
For now, the RPI will still be the default data point for other NCAA-sanctioned sports who rely on selection committees for their respective national tournaments. Women's basketball, for instance, will not see a change for the 2018-19 season.

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 02:26:25 PM »
They are doing their first announcement of the top 16 for the Women on Monday night.  I know Marquette will be included - will be interesting to see where they are.

Televised?

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 04:08:15 PM »
Televised?

It's a UCONN theme for both announcements - halftime of UCONN-South Carolina this Monday and halftime of UCONN-South Florida on 3/4:

https://www.ncaa.com/womens-final-four/road-to-the-championship

Both nights the games are on ESPN2 and start at 7P EST.  They've been doing this announcement for a few years for Women's Basketball but I've never paid much attention to it as Marquette wasn't in the mix before for a top 16 seed.  It's kind of exciting with Marquette included in it this year :).

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 09:01:13 PM »
The senior group of ladies are putting up some nice career scoring totals
Not only five over 1000, but all five over 1200

2054  Blockton
1704  Hiedeman
1447  Davenport
1271  King
1264  Wilborn

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2019, 10:01:57 PM »
The senior group of ladies are putting up some nice career scoring totals
Not only five over 1000, but all five over 1200

2054  Blockton
1704  Hiedeman
1447  Davenport
1271  King
1264  Wilborn

The stat of the night for me was Georgetown had 26 rebounds as a team and Erika Davenport had 23 rebounds herself in 34 minutes of action.  She also became the 4th ever player in MU Women's Bball history to have 1,000 career points and 1,000 career rebounds.  I don't think she gets enough credit for what she's done as an undersized center.

King and Wilborn keep switching spots with each other on the career scoring lists.  And King and Wilborn are both closing in on passing their coach Carolyn Kieger on the all-time scoring list as she had 1,277 points.  Kieger remains the only player in MU Women's Bball history with at least 1,200 points, 600 rebounds and 400 assists and is also still the all-time assists leader.  The 5 seniors spread their assists out pretty well so Kieger's assist record is safe :).

Tonight was a frustrating and ugly game but the important thing is they found a way to win.  They move to 20-3 on the season and 11-0 in the Big East.  They host Villanova at 2P Sunday.

Go Marquette!!!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 11:01:54 PM by Marquette Fan »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2019, 10:38:44 PM »
Watched some of the game tonight .. having the coaches mic'd up, sidelines, huddle, in the locker room.  That was really awesome.  Great insight into what goes into being a coach and player.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2019, 10:57:01 PM »
Watched Gtown have post-loss delivery at the Hilton. Seems Nova ladies are also here. Sunday is big given #7 Oregon State lost tonight.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2019, 11:05:59 PM »
Watched Gtown have post-loss delivery at the Hilton. Seems Nova ladies are also here. Sunday is big given #7 Oregon State lost tonight.

Villanova lost at DePaul tonight - didn't think they'd be in Milwaukee already but maybe they made a quick trip up here right after their loss in Chicago.

Great tidbit in the MU game recap - Marquette can already clinch a first round bye in the BET with a win over Villanova on Sunday.  I'm glad Butler had their rivalry game this weekend as after Sunday they will have played the same amount of games as Marquette (Butler is in 2nd now and DePaul 1/2 game behind them).

They haven't looked the greatest the last two games - hope they can bounce back a bit on Sunday.  And the top 16 announcement on Monday night will be interesting.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2019, 11:44:59 PM »
Villanova lost at DePaul tonight - didn't think they'd be in Milwaukee already but maybe they made a quick trip up here right after their loss in Chicago.

Great tidbit in the MU game recap - Marquette can already clinch a first round bye in the BET with a win over Villanova on Sunday.  I'm glad Butler had their rivalry game this weekend as after Sunday they will have played the same amount of games as Marquette (Butler is in 2nd now and DePaul 1/2 game behind them).

They haven't looked the greatest the last two games - hope they can bounce back a bit on Sunday.  And the top 16 announcement on Monday night will be interesting.

Assumed Nova was here given they had a ballroom booked. Lville LAX ladies just checked in too. Apparently this is the spot
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2019, 06:18:37 PM »
I just tried getting tickets online, no luck.  This game tomorrow isn't sold out is it?  Thanks

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2019, 06:34:48 PM »
I just tried getting tickets online, no luck.  This game tomorrow isn't sold out is it?  Thanks
I wouldn't think it's a sell out. Friday's crowd was 2,061.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 06:36:27 PM by Mr. Nielsen »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2019, 06:56:53 PM »
They are a fun team to watch. For any sport.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2019, 09:55:45 PM »
I wouldn't think it's a sell out. Friday's crowd was 2,061.

Yeah I thought the same thing about a sellout after Friday's disappointing crowd.  But I saw a couple comments about a sellout on a Facebook post by MU Women's Bball.  It would be awesome if it's a sellout.  I'd really like to see the rest of the regular season home games sellout and the when/if they host NCAA Tourney games at the Al, those better sell out.  I guess I better make sure my kids can still get in with my kids club memberships if they are going to get larger crowds the rest of the regular season and I sure hope they do.

Go Marquette!

feedback