[Today at 09:34:36 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Nukem2
[Today at 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Restaurant Recommendations  (Read 5996 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Re: Restaurant Recommendations
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2019, 08:10:37 PM »
We are planning on Mader's on Friday night.  Solid choice......or talk me out of it.

Brother Real, my advice is go with where your heart takes you. Mader's is the last of several high quality German restaurants. John Ernst Cafe and Ratzchs both are history. The smaller German restaurants are gone. If you like German in an elegant but worn setting Mader's is the place.

Another place worth mentioning if you have a large group and looking for a casual but good place is Louise's. It's on Cathedral Square just across from Real Chili on the east side. I've taken my daughter and her friends there before Marquette games as well as some of my Nashville crowd. Traditional Italian done a traditional way but very good and reasonably priced.  NEVER MIND!!!!! It closed last August

Happy NMD and am sorry I'm missing it this year.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 08:18:38 PM by dgies9156 »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2019, 08:13:44 PM »
C'mon man, Louise's is ded two, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2019, 08:17:26 PM »
C'mon man, Louise's is ded two, hey?

Oops Brother 4Ever, my mistake. Obviously have not been there since last winter and am disappointed to see it close. As I said to Brother Real, I really enjoyed this place with a large group.

Brother Real, my apologies for being behind the times! Try Zarlettis.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2019, 11:11:53 PM »
Back in the day the best pie in Milwaukee was Palermo's.

The Falucca's are a big MU family, too.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2019, 08:57:15 AM »
Agree with the Zarletti suggestions.  And I would also suggest Stella Van Buren in the downtown Westin.  Cool space with very good Italian, steak, and seafood options.

Stella's has a nice brunch too.  I am surprised no one mentioned Char'd. We also hit the Tin Widow for some great craft cocktails this weekend.

The Swinging Door is one who deserves a mention, pre or post game. I think half the FF was at Milwaukee Brewing post-game. They did a great job with the new space including the Ice Bar.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2019, 12:38:54 PM »
As mentioned earlier, went to Mader's Friday night.  Food was good and service was great, BUT NOT WORTH THE PRICE.  I had two beers, and the War Dept had two cocktails, plus an appetizer.  With tip....$140. 

That is my last trip there.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2019, 12:48:44 PM »
As mentioned earlier, went to Mader's Friday night.  Food was good and service was great, BUT NOT WORTH THE PRICE.  I had two beers, and the War Dept had two cocktails, plus an appetizer.  With tip....$140. 

That is my last trip there.

The Knight's Bar is a better choice there.  Also, free parking for games.  $140 and only apps?  Wow

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2019, 05:24:26 PM »
The Knight's Bar is a better choice there.  Also, free parking for games.  $140 and only apps?  Wow

Sorry... we both had an entree too. Wouldn’t be fair to Maders to omit. Still, darned pricey.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2019, 07:07:40 PM »
We are planning on Mader's on Friday night.  Solid choice......or talk me out of it.

Mader's was where my parents met my future wife's parents for the first time (the 6 of us went there).

That was 37 years ago, and my wife and I have been married for 35+ years, so I'm sure there must be a plaque on the wall there commemorating the event!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2019, 07:14:33 PM »
Sorry... we both had an entree too. Wouldn’t be fair to Maders to omit. Still, darned pricey.

Did you have the litre sized steins?
Ludum habemus.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2019, 07:22:08 PM »
Did you have the litre sized steins?

No. Two Abbey Quads.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2019, 07:56:19 PM »
Mader's was where my parents met my future wife's parents for the first time (the 6 of us went there).

That was 37 years ago, and my wife and I have been married for 35+ years, so I'm sure there must be a plaque on the wall there commemorating the event!

Mader's was where Glow and I held our rehearsal dinner.  It was certainly nowhere near $70/person, even rolled back to 1987 prices.
Have some patience, FFS.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2019, 08:16:25 PM »

We did the same thing at Karl Ratzsch’s 28 years ago. I never went to Mader’s. We loved Ratzsch’s. I remember the first time my wife (then girlfriend) and I went there. I think it was about $40-$45, and was by far the most expensive meal I’d ever had. Probably 1989 or so.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2019, 11:52:44 PM »
We did the same thing at Karl Ratzsch’s 28 years ago. I never went to Mader’s. We loved Ratzsch’s. I remember the first time my wife (then girlfriend) and I went there. I think it was about $40-$45, and was by far the most expensive meal I’d ever had. Probably 1989 or so.

Back in the day, Ratzsch's was world-class. My dad was a fighter pilot who made a point of landing at Mitchell AFB if he was flying cross country. There was no question where he wanted to eat. Like many here, he met his future daughter-in-law wife for the first time at Ratzsch's.

Damn shame it's gone.   

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2019, 09:04:41 AM »
I guess Mader's is a good place for tourists to go, other than that....how often do you really go out for schnitzel?

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2019, 10:54:10 AM »
We Germans like our schnitzel!
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2019, 11:05:33 AM »
Crash
Spot on regarding Ratzsch’s. Took my bride there on her birthday while we were dating. Plenty of family meals were shared there. Was very sad to see it close. Ratzsch’s and John Ernst set the standard for German good in MKE.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2019, 11:10:02 AM »
Ate at both 30 years ago.   Both excellent.      Brunch at Piece's of 8 was pretty good, too.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2019, 12:44:59 PM »
Ate at both 30 years ago.   Both excellent.      Brunch at Piece's of 8 was pretty good, too.

WHAT???? Pieces of 8 was trash. McCormick had better food. It was low grade Alpo on good day. Last time there was a Mother's Day Brunch and half us didn't even the food when it arrived since it was disgusting.

The city did that great location a service when they didn't renew the lease for them and turned it over to the Bartolotta's.

But I like to throw handfuls...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2019, 12:54:18 PM »
WHAT???? Pieces of 8 was trash. McCormick had better food. It was low grade Alpo on good day. Last time there was a Mother's Day Brunch and half us didn't even the food when it arrived since it was disgusting.

The city did that great location a service when they didn't renew the lease for them and turned it over to the Bartolotta's.
I last ate there in the 80's.    It was good then. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2019, 01:06:59 PM »
Mader's was where Glow and I held our rehearsal dinner.  It was certainly nowhere near $70/person, even rolled back to 1987 prices.

You guys were high rollers.

I had my rehearsal dinner at Turner's. After that the evening was a blur but I do remember Big Red at Rickey's.

When Fr Corbett Walsh asked me the next day what we lads had gotten up to after the Rehearsal Dinner I didn't mention Big Red. Or Rickey's.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2019, 01:14:57 PM »
I last ate there in the 80's.    It was good then.

I had brunch there once in the late 80's.  It was good.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2019, 01:16:19 PM »
Crash
Big Red, Rickey’s and Fr. Corbett Walsh in same post brings back some real memories. A very nice trifecta.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2019, 10:57:43 PM »

Oh yeah ... Ratzsch's ... couldn't remember the name of that place.

Yes, I thought it was superior to Mader's the couple of times I ate there.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson