collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Best Real Chili recipe?  (Read 5304 times)

MUfan12

• All American
Best Real Chili recipe?
« on: January 22, 2008, 12:24:28 AM »
http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/bars/real_chili?s=real%20chili

For those who have tried making Real Chili- I want to try my hand at it, and I was wondering which recipe ended up being closest to the real, glorious thing. Also, if you made any adjustments what were they? Thanks!

🏀

• All American
Re: Best Real Chili recipe?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 08:54:16 AM »
I'm also interested in this, but I have heard that none of them have come close to the real deal.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 09:10:11 AM »
I'm also interested in this, but I have heard that none of them have come close to the real deal.

Yeah, they're not great. I'v eplayed with them,, adjusted ingredients/quantities, etc. Once you add the spaghetti, cheese, sour cream, vinegar, etc. I suppose you can kinda fool yourself and others, but they are still pretty far from the real thing.

For the record, definitley work with recipe #2.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 09:11:56 AM by NavinRJohnson »

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 09:53:15 AM »
I use #2 as well. I cut down on the amount of chocolate in it. About in half. I cook a lot by taste. Not the same thing but can give a fix if you can't get the real thing.
But I like to throw handfuls...

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 11:33:16 AM »
This came up before .. there's a longer discussion here:

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=1784.0

Make sure if you cook something, post back your results, how it taste, what you would do different.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 05:57:52 PM »
Make sure if you cook something, post back your results, how it taste, what you would do different.

Made it tonight for dinner... I read the recipes and the comments, made some adjustments, and came up with something that my Dad and I thought came very close to the real thing. Here's the recipe I used:

2 lb. Ground beef
2 tbsp. Chili powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp chipotle pepper
1/2 tsp. Allspice
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tbsp paprika
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 oz bakers chocolate
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 cup water
1 can beef broth
1 tsp. vinegar
Small amount of ketchup or tomato paste

I threw everything in with the meat instead of browning it first, which was the right move, IMO. I didn't drain it either, which helped keep the flavor and texture. As far as adjustments go, I used ground chipotle pepper, which added a nice smoky flavor to it, without a ton of heat. Also, I would not use more than a 1/2 tsp of allspice, it's pretty strong and can make it more Skyline-ish if used too much. I left out the nutmeg/cinnamon that I saw in some recipes.

To help it thicken, I used a few squirts of ketchup which worked out nicely. Tomato paste could also do the trick. I had it on medium-high heat while breaking the meat up, mixing everything until it came to almost a boil. I let it simmer on low heat for about 90 minutes, stirring it occaisionally. The meat came out nice and fine.

I did make the mistake of buying the chili beans (with sauce) as opposed to the light kidney beans. It wasn't that noticable, but the chili beans had a weird taste. All things considered though it ended up very close to the real thing.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 12:34:51 AM »

Made it tonight for dinner... I read the recipes and the comments, made some adjustments, and came up with something that my Dad and I thought came very close to the real thing. Here's the recipe I used:

2 lb. Ground beef
2 tbsp. Chili powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp chipotle pepper
1/2 tsp. Allspice
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tbsp paprika
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 oz bakers chocolate
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 cup water
1 can beef broth
1 tsp. vinegar
Small amount of ketchup or tomato paste

I threw everything in with the meat instead of browning it first, which was the right move, IMO. I didn't drain it either, which helped keep the flavor and texture. As far as adjustments go, I used ground chipotle pepper, which added a nice smoky flavor to it, without a ton of heat. Also, I would not use more than a 1/2 tsp of allspice, it's pretty strong and can make it more Skyline-ish if used too much. I left out the nutmeg/cinnamon that I saw in some recipes.

To help it thicken, I used a few squirts of ketchup which worked out nicely. Tomato paste could also do the trick. I had it on medium-high heat while breaking the meat up, mixing everything until it came to almost a boil. I let it simmer on low heat for about 90 minutes, stirring it occaisionally. The meat came out nice and fine.

I did make the mistake of buying the chili beans (with sauce) as opposed to the light kidney beans. It wasn't that noticable, but the chili beans had a weird taste. All things considered though it ended up very close to the real thing.

how many did this serve/ size of proportions...

looking for something to feed my house, granted our situation is a lil different, since we eat a whole lot.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 01:48:10 AM »
If you have enough beans and noodles, the meat should be able to serve 4-6 pretty easily.

feedback