[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: NCAA Top 4 Seed Release 2/9  (Read 19821 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: NCAA Top 4 Seed Release 2/9
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2019, 04:53:12 PM »
Nice. And ready to move up.

So what insight to we get from this?

By NET, MU was like what, a 5-seed? So we see that to the committee NET isn't the be-all and end-all, just part (a big part) of the equation, right?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2019, 05:10:58 PM »
If the season ended today does this mean we'd be in the East Region?
Hello Hartford.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2019, 05:12:33 PM »
The West region would be awesome to be in with that draw. Key players missing for MSU and Kansas, Louisville solid but not great, and Gonzaga the worst 1 seed.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

muguru

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2019, 06:08:53 PM »
Love the 3 seed, but...what perplexed me as MU as a 3 seed is in the East, and UW as a 4 gets the Midwest?? Total BS. That being said, I only care more about whether or not they will be in Des Moines the 1st and 2nd round then what region they are in.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2019, 06:22:35 PM »
Love the 3 seed, but...what perplexed me as MU as a 3 seed is in the East, and UW as a 4 gets the Midwest?? Total BS. That being said, I only care more about whether or not they will be in Des Moines the 1st and 2nd round then what region they are in.

I would definitely rather go to KC than DC. MUCH shorter drive for those of us in MN, and also shorter from both MKE and CHI.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2019, 07:00:32 PM »

It's seeding rules. Purdue gets placed first and can't go to the East or West because the Michigan schools are there, so they go closest to Louisville. They won't put Kansas in KC, so they go West and Houston gets the closest spot, which is that KC location. That leaves us in the East. Then Wisconsin has to go to the Midwest because none of the Big 10 schools are there.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #81 on: February 09, 2019, 07:05:56 PM »
It's seeding rules. Purdue gets placed first and can't go to the East or West because the Michigan schools are there, so they go closest to Louisville. They won't put Kansas in KC, so they go West and Houston gets the closest spot, which is that KC location. That leaves us in the East. Then Wisconsin has to go to the Midwest because none of the Big 10 schools are there.

So is it safe to assume if Houston loses tomorrow and theoretically switched spots with MU, then MU as #11 would go to the Midwest and Houston the East??

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2019, 07:07:11 PM »
So is it safe to assume if Houston loses tomorrow and theoretically switched spots with MU, then MU as #11 would go to the Midwest and Houston the East??

Most likely yes.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2019, 10:01:53 PM »
Seeing Michigan State, Kansas, and Purdue where they were, I think Q1 wins still a big factor.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2019, 12:13:42 AM »
I am delighted we are going to make the tournament and ecstatic that we are in the discussion for top seeding. In the meantime I just want to soak in each game of our regular season success .  Really happy for the young men on this team and the coaching staff.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2019, 06:08:05 AM »
I am delighted we are going to make the tournament and ecstatic that we are in the discussion for top seeding. In the meantime I just want to soak in each game of our regular season success .  Really happy for the young men on this team and the coaching staff.

You and I agree on this, 9-9-9. I've been trying real hard to enjoy the journey and not get too worked up about the possible destination.

During halftime of our NMD event yesterday, I got into a discussion about next year's team with a couple of alums. I said, "I think we'll be great next season, but we're already pretty great this season."

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2019, 06:27:04 AM »
Less concerned about where we go. Brother Herm is right, this season is special. Just enjoy the ride.

We will all find our way to watch our Warriors. Airplanes leave Milwaukee every day bound for our destination. Ditto for Chicago, MSP, and gen MCO!

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2019, 08:03:03 AM »
I've been trying real hard to enjoy the journey
One of my favorite side effects of a great MU season happened twice last night.  Random MU fans talking about a game in random locations.  Out to dinner in Waukesha last night with an MU jacket on and a woman stops on ther way out to say "Did you watch the game"? Of course my answer was "I watch all the games"

Later I saw a guy getting into his car with an MU jacket so I had to say "great game today!".  It only took 2-3 seconds for the look on his face to go from "go away freak" to "oh, yeah, great game".  Good times.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2019, 08:27:56 AM »
I have to seriously question Purdue at #9..my question is...why?? They beat exactly NO one in non conference..The good/decent teams they played, they lost to : Va Tech, Florida St, Texas, Notre Dame. Their best non conference win is against #62(Kenpom) Belmont at home. I know all the B10 teams Kenpom #'s look really good...but the reality is...Purdue's resume is built on beating Mich St(home), lost to them on the road. Beat UW @ UW, And they have beaten Iowa and Maryland at home. Big deal. As I said, though the B10 #'s all look good, I think this is a perfect example where you can't trust(or go strictly by the #'s), and have to know basketball and watch games to know what is really up...this is where I think the committee is lacking, the true eye ball test. Regardless of what the computer #'s say...here is who Purdue has beaten in the B10, BESIDES the above mentioned UW, MSU, Iowa and Maryland games.

Rutgers(home)
Indiana(home)
@ Ohio St
@ Penn St
Minn(home)
Nebraska(home)

No one on that list is really that good...watching them play will tell you that.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2019, 08:39:51 AM »
I have to seriously question Purdue at #9..my question is...why?? They beat exactly NO one in non conference..The good/decent teams they played, they lost to : Va Tech, Florida St, Texas, Notre Dame. Their best non conference win is against #62(Kenpom) Belmont at home. I know all the B10 teams Kenpom #'s look really good...but the reality is...Purdue's resume is built on beating Mich St(home), lost to them on the road. Beat UW @ UW, And they have beaten Iowa and Maryland at home. Big deal. As I said, though the B10 #'s all look good, I think this is a perfect example where you can't trust(or go strictly by the #'s), and have to know basketball and watch games to know what is really up...this is where I think the committee is lacking, the true eye ball test. Regardless of what the computer #'s say...here is who Purdue has beaten in the B10, BESIDES the above mentioned UW, MSU, Iowa and Maryland games.

Rutgers(home)
Indiana(home)
@ Ohio St
@ Penn St
Minn(home)
Nebraska(home)

No one on that list is really that good...watching them play will tell you that.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you. So my question back is that Marquette clearly has superior out of conference wins that continue to look better. Getting the win yesterday was huge. But couldn't people say the same about many of our other conference wins? Granted, there are more really bad teams in the Big 10 than the Big East.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #90 on: February 10, 2019, 10:05:03 AM »
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you. So my question back is that Marquette clearly has superior out of conference wins that continue to look better. Getting the win yesterday was huge. But couldn't people say the same about many of our other conference wins? Granted, there are more really bad teams in the Big 10 than the Big East.

Vander, yes, the case could be made that MU hasn't really beaten anyone in the BE either..That being said, one of the most talked about things we hear every year as it gets closer to tourney time is who did you beat in the non conference...the portion of the schedule that you control(unless it's a tourney or something). Your conference schedule, is your conference schedule, you can't control that. For me, MU fan or not..It's always been who have you beaten in the non conference?? Show me something...anything..the bottom line is, Purdue hasn't. They beat no one in the non conference. Not too mention they have six overall losses, which is too many to be a three seed, let alone the TOP 3 seed.

This guy from the USA today thinks so too : 2. Purdue (No. 3) was over-seeded. The Boilermakers have too many losses (six) to be the top No. 3 seed -- even if that seeding line is correct.

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2019, 09:33:16 AM »
I think one thing to look further into is what exactly did the Committee like in Marquette that gave them the difference of a 3 seed vs Net ranking of 6 seed (21 Net Ranking) vs Virgina Tech who was not seeded most likely a 5 seed but had a Net Ranking of 10 prior to the loss Saturday which would have been a 3 seed.  Almost everything else was chalk when looking at NR vs seed. Of the top 16 VT was left out of the top 4 seeding as was Texas Tech and Kansas the only one outside of the top 16 @ 18 that received a top 4 seed other than Marquette.

As many recall there were some members here saying there numbers were heavily inflated by killing non conference opponents.

Texas Tech  NR= 16 , Not Seeded
Kansas        NR = 19 Seeded 3
Virgina Text NR = 10, Not Seeded
Marqutte      NR = 21, Seeded 3
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 09:39:31 AM by HowardsWorld »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2019, 10:07:11 AM »
One of my favorite side effects of a great MU season happened twice last night.  Random MU fans talking about a game in random locations.  Out to dinner in Waukesha last night with an MU jacket on and a woman stops on ther way out to say "Did you watch the game"? Of course my answer was "I watch all the games"

Later I saw a guy getting into his car with an MU jacket so I had to say "great game today!".  It only took 2-3 seconds for the look on his face to go from "go away freak" to "oh, yeah, great game".  Good times.

Agree 100%, MUE.

I am always proud to be a Warrior and I wear gear even when our team struggles. But I must admit that my chest is puffed out a little more during seasons like this, and I look for any excuse to spread the word.

For example, I will be wearing a Marquette shirt at my high school team's practice today, and a few people (either players or fellow coaches) will ask: "Did y'all win again, Coach?" And I'll love saying, "Why yes we did! Just beat the defending national champs on national TV!!"

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #93 on: February 11, 2019, 10:29:42 AM »
Agree 100%, MUE.

I am always proud to be a Warrior and I wear gear even when our team struggles. But I must admit that my chest is puffed out a little more during seasons like this, and I look for any excuse to spread the word.

For example, I will be wearing a Marquette shirt at my high school team's practice today, and a few people (either players or fellow coaches) will ask: "Did y'all win again, Coach?" And I'll love saying, "Why yes we did! Just beat the defending national champs on national TV!!"

My coworkers can almost always tell if Marquette is playing/won or lost depending on my productivity and mood.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #94 on: February 11, 2019, 10:39:51 AM »
Am I correct in thinking its seriously improbable we end up in California region? Only if the others on the same line (2 or 3 or 4) violated matchup rules and we're the low man on our seed line.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2019, 10:59:33 AM »
I didn't realize this until today, but while we may not have moved up on Saturday, the gap behind us certainly got bigger.

12. Marquette beat Villanova at home
13. Iowa State loses at home to TCU
14. Nevada beat New Mexico at home
15. Louisville loses at Florida State
16. Wisconsin loses at Michigan
17. Villanova loses at Marquette
18-20. Virginia Tech loses at Clemson
18-20. LSU beat Auburn at home
18-20. Texas Tech beat Oklahoma on the road

So Marquette gets a big win and 4/5 of the teams right behind them lose with the team right behind them taking the worst loss of the group. The 5th team gets a meaningless Q4 win at home. Virginia Tech also one of the considered teams loses a game they were favored to win.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #96 on: February 11, 2019, 11:03:04 AM »
Am I correct in thinking its seriously improbable we end up in California region? Only if the others on the same line (2 or 3 or 4) violated matchup rules and we're the low man on our seed line.

Hard to say right now, but generally yes.

Also need to consider that the committee is not beyond taking someone who would be a 3 or 4 in the East and shipping them to the West as a 2. 

Nevertheless, with only two natural top 4 seeds physically in the West right now, at least two of the remaining 14 are getting shipped, likely a 2 and a 3.  Ideally (geographically), Kansas and Houston would round out the West, but not sure the committee would show those kind of KU-friendly optics.

IOW, right or wrong, I don’t think - of the top 16 - we’ll see the three non-P6 teams together with a single blue blood. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #97 on: February 11, 2019, 02:05:13 PM »
I think one thing to look further into is what exactly did the Committee like in Marquette that gave them the difference of a 3 seed vs Net ranking of 6 seed (21 Net Ranking) vs Virgina Tech who was not seeded most likely a 5 seed but had a Net Ranking of 10 prior to the loss Saturday which would have been a 3 seed.  Almost everything else was chalk when looking at NR vs seed. Of the top 16 VT was left out of the top 4 seeding as was Texas Tech and Kansas the only one outside of the top 16 @ 18 that received a top 4 seed other than Marquette.

As many recall there were some members here saying there numbers were heavily inflated by killing non conference opponents.

Texas Tech  NR= 16 , Not Seeded
Kansas        NR = 19 Seeded 3
Virgina Text NR = 10, Not Seeded
Marqutte      NR = 21, Seeded 3

This is a good point. One thing I noted while evaluating the teams that made the top-16, no one had a sub-200 non-conference SOS and only Nevada had a sub-100 overall SOS. Teams like Va Tech and Texas Tech that really had weak non-cons were punished despite the beatdowns they put on buy game opponents that artificially inflated their NET rankings.

Nevada's overall SOS was notable at 108, but I think the committee gave them a little leeway because of the Pac-12. They did play ASU on a neutral and road games at Utah and USC. Their NCSOS was 43 (7th best on the top-16) , so they tried to play tough teams, but the Pac-12 sucking so bad dragged them down. BYU and Loyola Chicago didn't help them out either; both games that looked better in October than February.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #98 on: February 11, 2019, 07:06:25 PM »
Marquette women also a 3-seed in today's release.  They're the first #3 though, so they might be able to move up to the 2 line

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #99 on: February 11, 2019, 07:15:09 PM »
This is a good point. One thing I noted while evaluating the teams that made the top-16, no one had a sub-200 non-conference SOS and only Nevada had a sub-100 overall SOS. Teams like Va Tech and Texas Tech that really had weak non-cons were punished despite the beatdowns they put on buy game opponents that artificially inflated their NET rankings.

Nevada's overall SOS was notable at 108, but I think the committee gave them a little leeway because of the Pac-12. They did play ASU on a neutral and road games at Utah and USC. Their NCSOS was 43 (7th best on the top-16) , so they tried to play tough teams, but the Pac-12 sucking so bad dragged them down. BYU and Loyola Chicago didn't help them out either; both games that looked better in October than February.

The Nevada note is interesting. Really what that means to me is that if they lose 1 more game they will drop off the 4 line and that the committee is not valuing them as a top team due to there schedule. I would also say that Houston although on the 3 line is not that secure either. 1 loss could drop them down as well to a 4 or even further.

feedback