[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: NCAA Top 4 Seed Release 2/9  (Read 19823 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: NCAA Top 4 Seed Release 2/9
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2019, 07:37:24 PM »
There resume yes, is probably better then MU's, but in no way shape or form are they better using the eye test..numbers can and do lie, always trust the eyes.

The opposite is actually true. The eyes are far more likely to lie. Especially when you had blue & gold LASIK surgery.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2019, 08:10:08 PM »
The opposite is actually true. The eyes are far more likely to lie. Especially when you had blue & gold LASIK surgery.

So you don't think MU is a better basketball team then UW?? C'mon man, you know your ball.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2019, 08:26:48 PM »
So you don't think MU is a better basketball team then UW?? C'mon man, you know your ball.

I have MU ahead of UW-M. I think we have the better resume. But if the top-16 comes out and they are a 3 and we're a 4, I'll understand. It just depends on which aspects of the resume the Selection Committee puts emphasis on.

I try to be as objective as possible, which is admittedly tough when I'm paying attention to Marquette basketball literally every day of the year. I have a high opinion of our team, but how much of that is based on watching every minute of Marquette basketball (I can't say the same for any other team) and having a partisan bias?
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2019, 08:33:21 PM »
Anyone looking it objectively would know that MU and UW are very close. Computer numbers mostly favor UW.....they played head to head and MU won but it was in OT on our court. UW has the best win and the worst loss.

Cases can easily be made for both teams being on the same seed line or one slightly ahead of the other.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2019, 09:20:55 PM »
You wanna see guru flip a gasket, literally??

That literally would be literally fun.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2019, 09:29:42 PM »

I think these teams are about as equal as you can get. If i had to actually put money down i would say Marquette and Wisconsin will both be on the 4 line come saturdays release.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2019, 09:54:51 PM »
This is why my hope is one day the committee is made up of "basketball" people. Guys that know the game, can look at a team and make an accurate judgement of their abilities and how good they really are. Then, and ONLY then do i think we would get proper seeds, the correct teams in the tournament etc. Computers only tell you so much..the system can be gamed, and we have seen it plenty. UW for example, Pomeroy himself has said that they are always rated higher in his system then they should be. I honestly think most of their always seemingly good computer #'s are because they play so slow...for things like that, that matters a lot..If you study these things, slow paced teams are always seemingly high in Pomeroy's system.

Houston is a great example of computers not telling the whole story...look at their computer #'s...they all are pretty good, and that is mostly because they have only one loss...but they haven't played anyone. This is a perfect case of why basketball people should be on the committee...they would see through Houston's computer #'s and trust their eyes. The computers tell one story about them, but anyone that watches them knows, although a good team, definitely not a great team, or one worthy of a high seed.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2019, 10:08:51 PM »
This is why my hope is one day the committee is made up of "basketball" people. Guys that know the game, can look at a team and make an accurate judgement of their abilities and how good they really are. Then, and ONLY then do i think we would get proper seeds, the correct teams in the tournament etc. Computers only tell you so much..the system can be gamed, and we have seen it plenty. UW for example, Pomeroy himself has said that they are always rated higher in his system then they should be. I honestly think most of their always seemingly good computer #'s are because they play so slow...for things like that, that matters a lot..If you study these things, slow paced teams are always seemingly high in Pomeroy's system.

Houston is a great example of computers not telling the whole story...look at their computer #'s...they all are pretty good, and that is mostly because they have only one loss...but they haven't played anyone. This is a perfect case of why basketball people should be on the committee...they would see through Houston's computer #'s and trust their eyes. The computers tell one story about them, but anyone that watches them knows, although a good team, definitely not a great team, or one worthy of a high seed.

I know its a given that Wisconsin is the example used because 1) they are our biggest rival and 2) they fit perfectly into the kenpom narrative but honestly when was the last time that Wisconsin was actually overseeded as you are suggesting they are with Kenpom. If anything I would argue they are underseeded each year, prime example was when they were given a 8 seed a few years back and knocked off Villanova.

I get what you are saying with the computer part but that is why there is a human element to the selection as well and its not just striaght net ranking = seeds on a S curve.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2019, 10:34:03 PM »
Numbers only lie if you take them at face value and don't look at why the numbers are the way they are.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2019, 10:45:44 PM »

The committee is made up of ADs and conference commissioners. The Big East got screwed this year with no rep.
http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/mens-basketball-selections-101-committee

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2019, 06:46:12 AM »
Released before or after our game against nova?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2019, 06:51:53 AM »
Before.  11:30 am central,  5:30 pm Galway time.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2019, 01:53:59 PM »
Just remember all...that the show tomorrow has been proven to be a VERY accurate predictor of where these teams are seeded on Selection Sunday..yes, there are exceptions, but I read somewhere(I will look for it), that what you see tomm, is what you have usually gotten on SS as well.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2019, 02:49:05 PM »
Just remember all...that the show tomorrow has been proven to be a VERY accurate predictor of where these teams are seeded on Selection Sunday..yes, there are exceptions, but I read somewhere(I will look for it), that what you see tomm, is what you have usually gotten on SS as well.

Haven't they only done this show once?

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2019, 03:25:50 PM »
Haven't they only done this show once?

This is the 3rd time they will be doing this.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2019, 03:27:52 PM »
Ah thanks.

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2019, 03:32:50 PM »
Last year for the top 4 reveal the had the seeds as followed;

South (Atlanta): (1) Virginia, (2) Cincinnati, (3) Michigan St., (4) Tennessee
East (Boston): (1) Villanova, (2) Duke, (3) Texas Tech, (4) Ohio State
Midwest (Omaha): (1) Xavier, (2) Auburn, (3) Clemson, (4) Oklahoma
West (Los Angeles): (1) Purdue, (2) Kansas, (3) North Carolina, (4) Arizona

Final seeding was :

1 Seeds: Virginia Villanova Kansas Xavier
2 Seeds: North Carolina Duke Purdue Cincinnati
3 Seeds:Michigan State Tennessee Michigan Texas Tech
4 Seeds:Auburn Wichita State Gonzaga Arizona

Green = Nailed exact seed
Blue = Overseeded
Red = Mistake
Orange = Underseeded.

Clemson and Ohio St fell to a 5 seed in the final selections
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 03:40:49 PM by HowardsWorld »

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2019, 03:33:55 PM »
double post....
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 03:36:09 PM by HowardsWorld »

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2019, 03:35:24 PM »
If you look at the thing I put together above they almost hit it 100% accurate with the exception of Oklahoma which as some may remember lost like 8 of there last 9 or something crazy. Ohio St, Clemson, Purdue and Auburn. were all 1 seed below what the initial release said.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2019, 03:37:01 PM »

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2019-02-06/ncaa-top-16-time-tv-channel-and-what-you-need-know

muguru

• All American
!
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2019, 04:04:01 PM »
https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2019-02-06/ncaa-top-16-time-tv-channel-and-what-you-need-know

Thanks mark! That's exactly what i had read...what they reveal tomorrow is usually very close to actual seeds come selection Sunday...so...let's hope MU is a 3!

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2019, 12:50:33 PM »
12. Last 3 seed. Below Purdue, Kansas. Ahead of Louisville, Wisconsin

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2019, 01:13:26 PM »
Does that include Tuesday’s L?  If so, I’d say that’s a pretty decent spot to be in.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2019, 01:15:29 PM »
Does that include Tuesday’s L?  If so, I’d say that’s a pretty decent spot to be in.

Yes. Through all games prior to today

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2019, 02:42:36 PM »
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

feedback