[Today at 06:01:46 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by willie warrior
[Today at 05:36:43 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Twin Cities Sports = Loserville?  (Read 2036 times)

MU82

• All American
Twin Cities Sports = Loserville?
« on: February 04, 2019, 09:24:34 AM »
A friend of mine who lives in Minny posted this yesterday on his Facebook page:

As I sit down to watch another Super Bowl that doesn't feature the Vikings, I looked up some amazing statistics. Since the Twins won the '91 World Series, 26 different cities have won a title in the four major sports. Another 14 have played for a title. That's 40 cities in North America that have played for a title more recently than the Twin Cities. There is no metro area that has 3 or more major pro teams that come close to going that long without at least playing for a title. Cincinnati comes close with nothing since the '90 World Series, but they only have two pro franchises. Ugh.

I am far too lazy to look up the stats to see if he got it right, but as a guy who was there for both Twins titles, as well as the North Stars' run to the 1991 SC Finals and several not-quite-good-enough Vikings teams, I found this to be interesting.

Charlotte, BTW, has NEVER won a title in its 3-decade history as a pro sports town, and has had teams make it to only 2 championship games (Panthers 2004 and 2016). But we don't fit the 3-sport profile my friend mentioned.

Unrelated ...

Sad to read over the weekend that former Vikings QB Wade Wilson died.

http://www.startribune.com/former-vikings-quarterback-wade-wilson-dies-at-60/505213922/

Really good guy, great family man, tough competitor, decent QB. He turned 60 the day he died.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Twin Cities Sports = Loserville?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 09:28:50 AM »
A friend of mine who lives in Minny posted this yesterday on his Facebook page:

As I sit down to watch another Super Bowl that doesn't feature the Vikings, I looked up some amazing statistics. Since the Twins won the '91 World Series, 26 different cities have won a title in the four major sports. Another 14 have played for a title. That's 40 cities in North America that have played for a title more recently than the Twin Cities. There is no metro area that has 3 or more major pro teams that come close to going that long without at least playing for a title. Cincinnati comes close with nothing since the '90 World Series, but they only have two pro franchises. Ugh.

I am far too lazy to look up the stats to see if he got it right, but as a guy who was there for both Twins titles, as well as the North Stars' run to the 1991 SC Finals and several not-quite-good-enough Vikings teams, I found this to be interesting.

He must be including Milwaukee with the Packers because the last time a pro-sports team from Milwaukee played for a title was the 1982 World Series and the last time they won one was the 1971 Bucks.  (It only has two teams like the Cincinnati example.)
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 09:30:39 AM »
Why did they use so much glass for the Vikings new stadium?

Because they don't need it for a trophy case.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 09:35:06 AM »

He must be including Milwaukee with the Packers because the last time a pro-sports team from Milwaukee played for a title was the 1982 World Series and the last time they won one was the 1971 Bucks.  (It only has two teams like the Cincinnati example.)

Without the Packers, Milwaukee doesn't have 3 big-league sports teams. With the Packers, they have had a champion just in the past decade.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 10:20:28 AM »
Only losers call it “Minny”, a1na.

The Workd Series wins were incredible. 87 can probably only be matched for me by another Marquette national championship.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 10:47:22 AM »
Toronto also hasn't played for a major sports championship since the Jays went back-to-back in 92-93.  And in metric years, I'm pretty sure Toronto's 26 years converts to more than the 28 that Minnesota has been waiting.

Tell your "buddy" that Toronto hasn't won the cup since '67... not even a compilation of missed Viking FG's in a continuous 10-hour loop could come close to matching the kind of drought-inspired agony that resonates throughout the Second City from April - June each year.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 10:50:20 AM »
Toronto also hasn't played for a major sports championship since the Jays went back-to-back in 92-93.  And in metric years, I'm pretty sure Toronto's 26 years converts to more than the 28 that Minnesota has been waiting.

Tell your "buddy" that Toronto hasn't won the cup since '67... not even a compilation of missed Viking FG's in a continuous 10-hour loop could come close to matching the kind of drought-inspired agony that resonates throughout the Second City from April - June each year.

What you're saying, Benny, is that my buddy is correct unless one applies metric years, dog years or some other kind of measurement. Thanks!

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 10:59:03 AM »
What you're saying, Benny, is that my buddy is correct unless one applies metric years, dog years or some other kind of measurement. Thanks!

You tell me... you're the math expert!  Or are you trying to change the results by measuring them?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 09:56:04 PM »
You tell me... you're the math expert!  Or are you trying to change the results by measuring them?

maths no matta

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2019, 11:46:56 PM »
Why did they use so much glass for the Vikings new stadium?

Because they don't need it for a trophy case.

Funny thing about the Vikings is that they typically have a pretty competitive team - sometimes even a really good one - but even in the best of seasons they figure out some improbable way to blow it.

Morton Anderson's missed 39-yard FG after his perfect season then Denny Green's boneheaded decision to take a knee with the best offense in NFL History in '98; Favre tossing an INT instead of just sliding in '09 - both of which cost likely SB appearances.

Every team loses an improbable one every now and then (the Packers' monumental collapse vs Seattle)...but the Vikings manage it every time they get near a trophy....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 08:23:55 AM »
Funny thing about the Vikings is that they typically have a pretty competitive team - sometimes even a really good one - but even in the best of seasons they figure out some improbable way to blow it.

Morton Anderson's missed 39-yard FG after his perfect season then Denny Green's boneheaded decision to take a knee with the best offense in NFL History in '98; Favre tossing an INT instead of just sliding in '09 - both of which cost likely SB appearances.

Every team loses an improbable one every now and then (the Packers' monumental collapse vs Seattle)...but the Vikings manage it every time they get near a trophy....

Yep ... that's the Minny way.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 08:41:14 AM »
It's been a rough go for ALL of the midwest/middle America since the Cavs and Cubs snapped their long droughts in 2016.  Every championship since then has been between East Coast, West Coast, or Texas teams.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2019, 09:27:08 AM »
Twin Cities sports desert? Uh, that's kinda like saying the Atlantic Ocean is a land desert.

Probably has more to do with the management of the local sports teams.

Twins -- Are you kidding me. have not been relevant (really) since Kirby and the boys retired back in the 1990s. Don't know where they are spending their money or why, but I know they have not developed the infrastructure to make the team a real contender. Might have been nice to do with your stadium what Milwaukee did! That way you could draw fans in April!

Vikings -- Put too much faith in washed up quarterbacks. Favre? Cousins? Lots of money. Nothing to show. Probably suffering from the curse of Bud Grant. Could get to the threshold but never past it. Role model for the Buffalo Bills.

TWolves -- By now they should be good. But aren't.

Hockey -- Given the fan support for hockey in Minnesota, the Wild/North Stars should have been the Yankees of professional hockey. That state eats, sleeps and breaths hockey. And yet, N-O-T-H-I-N-G!!!!!

Golden Gophers -- Not in my lifetime. Or my children's!

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2019, 10:05:28 AM »
Twins -- Are you kidding me. have not been relevant (really) since Kirby and the boys retired back in the 1990s. Don't know where they are spending their money or why, but I know they have not developed the infrastructure to make the team a real contender. Might have been nice to do with your stadium what Milwaukee did! That way you could draw fans in April!
Twins won the AL Central 2002 2003 2004 2006 2009 2010
I think they were relevant in the 'aughts.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2019, 01:35:55 PM »
Golden Gophers -- Not in my lifetime. Or my children's!

I know this thread was originally about pro sports, but many Minnesotans consider Gopher hockey as the only sport worth following, besides high school hockey.

Gophers have had several frozen fours and a couple of nattys this century.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

murara1994

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2019, 03:17:03 PM »

GARY ANDERSON.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2019, 03:31:53 PM »
Yeah Morten kicked the game winner for the Falcons that day.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2019, 04:33:01 PM »
I know this thread was originally about pro sports, but many Minnesotans consider Gopher hockey as the only sport worth following, besides high school hockey.

Gophers have had several frozen fours and a couple of nattys this century.

Your second statement kinda explains your first.

feedback