[Today at 12:10:26 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by We R Final Four
[Today at 11:50:43 AM]

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Jockey
[June 15, 2024, 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: St. John's Game  (Read 17949 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: St. John's Game
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2019, 12:14:53 PM »
If we lose tonight, we are still comfortably in second place in the BE standings. How does that make this game so important?

Looking at it another way, if you have to split the two games, which do you pick to win? That's a no brainer. (obviously we want to win all the games we play, but to think through which game means more, this is a simple little hypothetical)

And yeah, I can see the team getting hyped up for this game. But it only became that important to the team in January. The Nova game was circled in October.

We're obviously not going to agree on this, but I just think the whole PR view from fans is unneeded. Trying to explain how a game against a mediocre-ish St. John's team is more important than a game against the team we're chasing for a BE title who also happens to be the defending national champ... that's some mental gymnastics I'm just not flexible enough for.

I would choose to win our next game. Which is tonight against St. John’s.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2019, 12:19:07 PM »
Biggest game of the year so far for sure but its all mental mastering anyways. 

We should be looking for blood against this team that made us look like a mid major the first time around.  The nova game will be that much more huge if we win.  Cant wait to hopefully come out swinging and the 3's start falling right away. 

My biggest wish is they let us bump and bang a bit not like the X game. 

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2019, 12:28:34 PM »

I'm surprised you even acknowledge games past the next one.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2019, 12:52:57 PM »
typical scoop thread, some of you will argue about everything

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2019, 01:01:13 PM »

So you'd prefer to lose to Nova and beat St. John's? Weird take. But I guess not every opinion has to make sense to me.

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2019, 01:08:31 PM »
I'm very nervous about this game.  St. John's always seems to play over their heads against Marquette and MU has a huge game on Saturday so team might be looking ahead.   Hopefully they show up focused and ready to play.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #81 on: February 05, 2019, 01:44:51 PM »
So now we have a pre-game thread, then at 8/7 EST/CST will have the game thread; and then of course after the game we have Tower's post game thread analysis. Anyone up for a halftime thread?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #82 on: February 05, 2019, 01:48:49 PM »
So you'd prefer to lose to Nova and beat St. John's? Weird take. But I guess not every opinion has to make sense to me.

He is only willing to look at and acknowledge the game right in front of him - much like Wojo.  He can't get caught looking too far ahead!!
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #83 on: February 05, 2019, 01:50:46 PM »
You really think a win over St. John's is equal to a win over Nova? Like for serious?
I really think it won't matter a bit to our seeding if we split which one we lose to.  We need them both if we want to win the Big East regular season.  That is why I think they're equally important.  In the end your schedule is what it is and you're record is what it is.  How you got there may not be as important as you think.  We have enough skins on the wall against good teams (Louisville, KSU, UW, etc.) that we are OK.

My point, as always, is that the NCAA tournament is not the only important thing.  If that's all you care about, you're not going to be too happy.  I think a Big East regular season title would be great, and that is what is in front of us.  We have to keep winning against everybody to make that happen, because I doubt Villanova is going to slip up more than once in games not against us the rest of the way.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #84 on: February 05, 2019, 01:57:15 PM »
I really think it won't matter a bit to our seeding if we split which one we lose to.  We need them both if we want to win the Big East regular season.  That is why I think they're equally important.  In the end your schedule is what it is and you're record is what it is.  How you got there may not be as important as you think.  We have enough skins on the wall against good teams (Louisville, KSU, UW, etc.) that we are OK.

My point, as always, is that the NCAA tournament is not the only important thing.  If that's all you care about, you're not going to be too happy.  I think a Big East regular season title would be great, and that is what is in front of us.  We have to keep winning against everybody to make that happen, because I doubt Villanova is going to slip up more than once in games not against us the rest of the way.

Beating Nova is the only way we win the conference. Wouldn't you agree? So doesn't that make the games against Nova a little more important than the others?

We have the ability to hand Nova 2 losses. Which means we can still lose 1 more game to someone other than Villanova and still win the conference. Can we all agree on that? If so, how could any other games be as important or more important than the games against Nova?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 01:59:36 PM by skianth16 »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #85 on: February 05, 2019, 02:05:51 PM »
typical scoop thread, some of you will argue about everything

Hey - I disagree with that!!

Class71

• All American
« Reply #86 on: February 05, 2019, 05:20:48 PM »
a friend and I had a conversation with Dickie at his breakfast place on Siesta Key, mentioned we were MU alums and he had to remind us that he (Detroit) beat us at the Arena in '77.  I then told him I was at the game, watched him dance at middle court after the win and that it was probably the biggest win of his college coaching career.
He became an imitator of Al, using funny expressions for players, etc, but not nearly as clever.  I never could tolerate his screaming to be noticed and have looked forward to games without him.

Was wondering if "Another Broken Egg Cafe" was any good? Please let me know.

The only similarity between Dickie V. and Al was that they were both from NYC. Al was more than just a basketball coach. He talked about life and told it like it was. He was not theatrical. He was who you saw. When he said he was the worst player in the NBA he meant it and we loved him for his honesty. Al was the person he wanted to be. Rather uncommon today as many dance in the shadows of others.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #87 on: February 05, 2019, 06:19:08 PM »
Was wondering if "Another Broken Egg Cafe" was any good? Please let me know.

The only similarity between Dickie V. and Al was that they were both from NYC. Al was more than just a basketball coach. He talked about life and told it like it was. He was not theatrical. He was who you saw. When he said he was the worst player in the NBA he meant it and we loved him for his honesty. Al was the person he wanted to be. Rather uncommon today as many dance in the shadows of others.

Maybe what you say is true, but Don't sell Dickie V Humanitarian efforts Short.

" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #88 on: February 05, 2019, 07:28:57 PM »
Are we still wanting to overlook a team that beat us by 20 a month ago or...?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #89 on: February 05, 2019, 07:37:32 PM »
Are we still wanting to overlook a team that beat us by 20 a month ago or...?

Who wanted to overlook them?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2019, 07:41:28 PM »
Who wanted to overlook them?

People starting threads talking about how not worried they were about the St. John’s or Nova games they were but how worried about DePaul they were.

Or people picking which game between St. John’s and Nova they’d win. That’s not how it works. Two BE teams show up to a gym and start at 0-0 with 40 minutes to play. Get up for the game in front of you or you very well might end up 0-2.

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2019, 07:42:30 PM »
People starting threads talking about how not worried they were about the St. John’s or Nova games they were but how worried about DePaul they were.

Or people picking which game between St. John’s and Nova they’d win. That’s not how it works. Two BE teams show up to a gym and start at 0-0 with 40 minutes to play. Get up for the game in front of you or you very well might end up 0-2.

You realize we’re fans and not the players right?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #92 on: February 05, 2019, 07:51:26 PM »
You realize we’re fans and not the players right?

Yes. And you do realize us fans do not get to choose one of the next two games to win right?

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2019, 08:05:38 PM »
Yes. And you do realize us fans do not get to choose one of the next two games to win right?

Duh. It’s a hypothetical question on a message board.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2019, 09:22:37 PM »
Duh. It’s a hypothetical question on a message board.

Good luck man. Logic wont get you very far.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 09:25:08 PM by skianth16 »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2019, 10:19:48 PM »
Good luck man. Logic wont get you very far.

Logic is not overlooking teams.  I'm glad the fanbase got excited for our chance to tie Nova in the BE on Saturday.  Unfortunately there was a game we needed to win to set that up, and we didn't take care of business.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2019, 10:28:40 PM »
Logic is not overlooking teams.  I'm glad the fanbase got excited for our chance to tie Nova in the BE on Saturday.  Unfortunately there was a game we needed to win to set that up, and we didn't take care of business.

No one in an MU uniform overlooked St John's. There are a number of reasons we lost tonight, and not a single one of them has anything to do with fans on a message board.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2019, 10:44:26 PM »
Almost stole it. But then someone in the crowd started talking about the mimosa special before Saturday's game and it all went to hell in a handbasket.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #98 on: February 05, 2019, 10:58:21 PM »

Still somewhat concerned about DePaul.

Some guy on the interwebs expressing that concern had 0.00% to do with us losing tonight to St. John's.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #99 on: February 06, 2019, 09:37:54 AM »
No idea why MU did not double Ponds on last possession.They had a chance.Theo could have doubled him and left Simon alone at top of key.Simon can't shoot a lick.