'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Grimes  (Read 10825 times)

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
Re: Grimes
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2019, 10:42:20 PM »
BigDaddy was another user on scoop who had really good inside information. Wojo and Co. are very tight lipped. But bigdaddy had good intel. Then a few users jumped down his throat because something he said didn’t happen and he hasn’t been back.

RealChili has over 7000 posts on Scoop. I’m pretty sure he knows who “BigDaddy” refers to.
Tongue-in-Cheek. Does RC=BD? Is Finkel Einhorn? This is no crying game.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2019, 10:53:12 PM »
They’re talking on the HolyLandofHoops sight right now about why a couple MU-fan posters can’t just be happy to be ranked #10. This is all I was getting at. Who the F cares about Grimes?  You just made my point for me...who the F cares about Wisconsin? Ok, look, I probably hate UW more than you. If you can’t see the relevance of that statement about focusing on us, right now...there’s no help for you. I’ve quoted Al McGuire to friends, family, co-workers probably 5000 times. I quote the Grinch once and I’m persona non-grata. Here...I’ll fix it for you.....

“Congratulate the temporary!”
                           ~Al

Point taken.  I am ecstatic that the season is playing out just as I envisioned it would!  We have the best talent in the Big East, and I am happy to see us competing for a Big East title.  Who cares about Grimes, who cares about The Grinch.  Go MU!   

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2019, 11:00:49 PM »
Don't need no stinkin' Grimes or Hagans.

We are Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2019, 11:02:43 PM »
Point taken.  I am ecstatic that the season is playing out just as I envisioned it would!  We have the best talent in the Big East, and I am happy to see us competing for a Big East title.  Who cares about Grimes, who cares about The Grinch.  Go MU!

Word
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2019, 11:06:16 PM »
Don't need no stinkin' Grimes or Hagans.

We are Marquette!

Brilliant, you even subtly worked in an anti-Badger reference!

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2019, 11:55:48 PM »
I miss BD.

Also, I have no idea if there is any relation, but he once recommended that I go to Big Daddy's in Fairhope, AL. Would recommend the crab claws. Some of the best I've had.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2019, 02:19:10 AM »
BigDaddy was another user on scoop who had really good inside information. Wojo and Co. are very tight lipped. But bigdaddy had good intel. Then a few users jumped down his throat because something he said didn’t happen and he hasn’t been back.

The jumping down his throat happened in May, he stopped posting in August.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2019, 11:22:35 AM »
Did anybody "jump down his throat"? Or did a few posters point out that not every single thing he says is gospel (as is the case with all of us)? I honestly don't remember the tone.

FWIW, I neither criticized him nor kissed his ring. I was glad he posted here. If he no longer wants to post here, that's up to him and we'll somehow survive.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2019, 11:55:53 AM »
Was he the one that said Shaka was a done deal?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2019, 12:21:23 PM »
Heise wouldn’t let a single BigDaddy post go without bringing up his “error.” Now we have Heise back and no BigDaddy. What a trade.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2019, 12:23:50 PM »

No.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2019, 12:27:05 PM »
Heise wouldn’t let a single BigDaddy post go without bringing up his “error.” Now we have Heise back and no BigDaddy. What a trade.

Yessir. Kind of like Brock for Broglio. And Smuggles ain't no base-stealer.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2019, 12:50:15 PM »
IIRC, it wasn't even an error. I think BD posted that the coaches felt good about Damien Lee and thought Marquette would get a visit. Instead, Lee committed during his Louisville on campus. One poster took this as proof that BD was a sham and brought it up just about every time BD posted. I suppose it was possible that BD was making things up...but it was also possible that the coaches did feel good about Lee but he fell in love with Louisville's strippe...er....recruiting pitch.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2019, 01:34:05 PM »

No, that was IWB (Jim), who runs the BrewCityBall website. the whole #DoneDeal thing got blown way out of proportion. Shaka gave a verbal while in Milwaukee, and then his wife made him go to Texas for "family"reasons. It's yet another great example of how our fellow scoopers never let people forget when they misspoke.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2019, 01:37:58 PM »
No, that was IWB (Jim), who runs the BrewCityBall website. the whole #DoneDeal thing got blown way out of proportion. Shaka gave a verbal while in Milwaukee, and then his wife made him go to Texas for "family"reasons. It's yet another great example of how our fellow scoopers never let people forget when they misspoke.

Yeah...that's an oversimplification. IWB got bad info and jumped the gun, it's ok, it happens. Also, Shaka didn't go to Texas that year, he stayed at VCU and ended up at Texas the following year, not for family reasons.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 01:41:41 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2019, 01:44:06 PM »
IIRC, it wasn't even an error. I think BD posted that the coaches felt good about Damien Lee and thought Marquette would get a visit. Instead, Lee committed during his Louisville on campus. One poster took this as proof that BD was a sham and brought it up just about every time BD posted. I suppose it was possible that BD was making things up...but it was also possible that the coaches did feel good about Lee but he fell in love with Louisville's strippe...er....recruiting pitch.

This is what I recall. Some people sure know how to spoil a good thing. The "well, actually" twitter-ization of people constantly attempting to "a ha!" someone sucks. 
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2019, 01:45:16 PM »
Yeah...that's an oversimplification. IWB got bad info and jumped the gun, it's ok, it happens. Also, Shaka didn't go to Texas that year, he stayed at VCU and ended up at Texas the following year, not for family reasons.

I know he didn't go to Texas that year, but didn't his wife want him to hold out until that job opened up?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2019, 01:53:00 PM »
I know he didn't go to Texas that year, but didn't his wife want him to hold out until that job opened up?

No. The Mrs. Smart part of the story has been overexaggerated. As far as I am aware, she was not holding out for the Texas job (or any job for that matter). There might be truth that she didn't like the Marquette job, but I believe that had more to do with not knowing who the AD was going to be at the time.
TAMU

Osiris

• Starter
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2019, 01:59:51 PM »

I thought the story was Shaka gave MU a verbal but insisted on returning home to tell his players in person.  Then when a certain interim AD spilled the beans early Shaka got upset and pulled the plug. 
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. Winston Churchill

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2019, 02:03:35 PM »
Grimes took a visit to Marquette, but basically spent the whole time telling the team that he was going to Kansas.

Thanks for the intel. I hadn't heard that. Doesn't strike me as some kind of deep insult to the program, just a 17-year-old kid who doesn't know much about professionalism yet.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2019, 02:05:05 PM »
Also, I appreciate that this thread has somehow turned into an airing of grievances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JR6xt9S02o

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2019, 02:28:36 PM »
Did someone say Grimes?

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2019, 03:46:48 PM »
+1

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2019, 07:03:52 PM »

From what I've heard, it's a bit of both. Shaka gave the verbal while meeting with Doc. Then whether it was his wife or just thinking more about leaving VCU, he changed his mind. IWB did jump the gun, and it didn't go over well that the verbal commitment got out ahead of the official announcement with either camp.

You're right that Texas was the next year and I don't think had anything to do with us.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2019, 08:12:23 PM »
IWB’s board was really interesting during the buzz tenure and into the Shaka drama, but I felt it got really dull after that settled when he obviously had no connections with wojo. It began to feel like here without a few annoying posters. Is it back to a quality “insider” board or pretty much the same as here still?

Edit: Dang I just went over there and checked out the Depaul game thread. It had 8 posts and 6 of them were from IWB.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 08:16:07 PM by AirPunch »

feedback