collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Al McGuire passed away on this date. Today Warriors played like Warriors  (Read 2258 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Loved both announcers say they still want to call us Warriors.

RIP Al McGuire
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Goose

• All American
Re: Al McGuire passed away on this date. Today Warriors played like Warriors
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 06:14:24 PM »
Cheeks
I remember it like it was yesterday. Sad day, but one that brought a lot MU family together to celebrate a truly unbelievable life.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 07:30:48 PM »
Cheeks
I remember it like it was yesterday. Sad day, but one that brought a lot MU family together to celebrate a truly unbelievable life.

Indeed.  Had the pleasure to work with him for a few years...one of my most treasured keepsakes below.  When today's generation asks about MU hoops I like to talk about the man. I wasn't old enough to go through what you did with him, but I was fortunate enough to work with him in the 90's and hear the stories he and others told.  Pretty magical for a young man to share some time with him as he was our color analyst on MUBB TV games, as well as the retirement ceremony.  Fond memories for me.

We made up this piece which every fan received.  He took the time to sign it and sent me a short letter which I framed up.  Happened to be one of the first dates for my future wife and I, too.  She flew out from California for the game and the festivities.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 07:39:26 PM »
I've said it before and it continues to be true. Al was the best mouth I've ever heard. No matter how your day was heading, if you had an opportunity to spend a few moments listening to Al, he'd bring a smile to your face. Al always felt it was important to "touch" people. To me, that's says it all.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 07:46:03 PM »
Cheeks
The best part about Al was, he was always Al. From when I met him as very little boy in the ‘60’s until you worked with him in the ‘90’s, he was the same guy. He had deeper pockets, which he loved, but was the same guy. Very cool that you and your future wife had one of your first dates that night.
It is funny, but the best part of winning back then, was all of the wonderful family memories created.
For your eyes only, I have been to most of the games this year and watched every minute(except Kansas and IU) this season. I have enjoyed this season and this team. Even went to the Wojo show a couple weeks ago😀
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 07:57:01 PM by Goose »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 10:32:13 PM »
Loved both announcers say they still want to call us Warriors.

RIP Al McGuire

Agree, Chico.

My daughter (MU class of 2000) was living in Milwaukee working for a sports agency when Al passed. I drove up from Chicago and we attended Al's funeral together. Afterwards the Marquette Union hosted a reception. As replays of the 1977 semi final and final games on the TVs served as a back drop, she had the chance to meet some the the legends from my era - Jackie Burke (who flew in from New Jersey), Brian Brunkhorst, Rick Majerus, George Thompson and many, many more. Stories told that made you laugh, maybe one or two that made you cry but all that reminded everyone how lucky you were to be touched (even tangentially) by the magic that Al brought to Milwaukee and Marquette. I know that some here grow weary of Scoop's senior citizens waxing poetic about those halcyon days - I'm sure we sound like a broken record. I wish every Scooper could hop in a time machine and experience a week or a month or a season of that crazy, exhilarating run.

We had a brief peek under Crean and a slightly longer look under Buzz. This year under Wojo has the chance to be the start of something bigger and better than anything MU has seen in more than 40 years. Here's hoping.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 10:35:51 PM »
Lenny Man, you got it. But, I doubt the mold of Al McGuire will ever be cast again, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 10:36:51 PM »
Marquette would not be Marquette without Al McGuire.

The "McGuire Money," or money raised indirectly from alumni and friends of Marquette due to the visibility of our basketball program around the country made a profound difference in what Marquette is today.

Coach McGuire was the living, breathing personification of Marquette University. Smart, scrappy, hard-working, more than a bit irreverent and successful. How many folks went to Marquette because their first vision of the place was the basketball team, which encouraged a deeper look, I do not know. But I do know it made Marquette a much better place because of his presence.

I never knew Coach McGuire, but the people I knew who did all shared the same admiration up close that I did from afar. Only thing I wished he never would have done was retire after 1977.

Thanks Coach!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2019, 10:43:53 PM »
Lenny Man, you got it. But, I doubt the mold of Al McGuire will ever be cast again, hey?

Dead right on that, Doc.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 01:36:16 AM »
Al spoke at my high school athletic banquet in 1975...never forget the butter man story-abbreviated-

Al: hey butterman, 2 butters
Butterman: sorry sir, 1 butter person
Al: hey, do you know that I am al McGuire, head coach of the marquette warriors?
Butterman: Do you know that I am the butterman, 1 butter
don't...don't don't don't don't

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 01:52:37 AM »
Al Mc Guire, the personification of leadership, wearing life like a lose garment, sea shells and baloons.  I was there, don't make me cry.  Let me laugh at his humor, insights and profound wisdom.  Sometimes, don't we all take ourselves way too seriously?  Al never let that happen to himself. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2019, 03:05:48 AM »
Lenny

The reception after Al’s funeral was what Al was about. Your post really is spot on, especially for the young folks being able to go back in time.

Vogue
Great post.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2019, 10:07:53 AM »
Cheeks
The best part about Al was, he was always Al. From when I met him as very little boy in the ‘60’s until you worked with him in the ‘90’s, he was the same guy. He had deeper pockets, which he loved, but was the same guy. Very cool that you and your future wife had one of your first dates that night.
It is funny, but the best part of winning back then, was all of the wonderful family memories created.
For your eyes only, I have been to most of the games this year and watched every minute(except Kansas and IU) this season. I have enjoyed this season and this team. Even went to the Wojo show a couple weeks ago😀

Thumbs up

I will periodically watch or listen to old McGuire interviews.  Great stuff.  Way ahead of his time.  I'm glad to have been personally touched by the man in my life for those several years.  Tried to explain it to my son, he gets it to a degree but when you don't live it is hard.  In college basketball I got to work with Bob Knight, Al McGuire....that's a pretty good thing.  Add in Mike Deane, Crean, etc, and it's been pretty cool just to hear the stories.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2019, 03:10:55 PM »
Cheeks
I had the chance to meet Bob Knight one time and big thrill. As much as I hated Indiana, always had great respect for RMK.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2019, 03:52:49 PM »
Eye met John Wooden at da FF in ATL. Only paper I could find wuz a dollar bill in my wallet. He signed it. Still got it sumwhere, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2019, 08:18:25 PM »
Doc
I really wish we had played the Bruins a few times in the ‘70’s. The Wizard would have been fun to beat.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2019, 09:17:17 PM »
We were on track to meet up when tOSU and the refs got in the way in Athens. We'll never know, but I still feel the Warriors win vs Bruins
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2019, 09:19:58 PM »
Cheeks
I had the chance to meet Bob Knight one time and big thrill. As much as I hated Indiana, always had great respect for RMK.

I was glad I was at IU when he was there.  Even though they were starting their decline, it was clear that there was a great icon in the building each night roaming the sidelines.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2019, 10:02:55 PM »
We were on track to meet up when tOSU and the refs got in the way in Athens. We'll never know, but I still feel the Warriors win vs Bruins

Agree 100%. Should have been Al's first championship.