[Today at 04:11:02 PM]

More conference realignment talk by brewcity77
[Today at 02:56:46 PM]

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:29:07 PM]

NM by 4everwarriors
[Today at 10:37:41 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Joey H  (Read 7441 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
Joey H
« on: January 25, 2019, 03:11:36 PM »
He is due for an SOTG game. Only starter not in the tally!

tower912

• All American
Re: Joey H
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 03:12:52 PM »
A lot of solid games, no transcendent games.    And, it always seems he makes enough freshman plays to hurt his chances. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 07:27:01 PM »
Brings up a great question.

Will we see any new names on the SOTG list?

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 07:52:55 PM »
Thrilled with Joey’s playing - needs to clean up some pssses and dribbling to the hoop so he can reduce his turnovers.  Otherwise wow what a freshman!

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 08:27:00 PM »
Joey is one of the best freshman we've ever had at Marquette. Although he hasn't won sotg he has made a difference in most of our games.  I have no doubt he could score 30+ in any given game like he did in high school, if we needed him to.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 09:20:47 PM »
Brings up a great question.

Will we see any new names on the SOTG list?

Dunks belongs on that list.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 09:37:14 PM »
Dunks belongs on that list.

Salsa Of The Game?
Have some patience, FFS.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 09:44:55 PM »
Joey is one of the best freshman we've ever had at Marquette. Although he hasn't won sotg he has made a difference in most of our games.  I have no doubt he could score 30+ in any given game like he did in high school, if we needed him to.

Joey is certainly one of the best (10?) freshmen to play at MU in the last 40 years. Love his feel for the game. But he's playing on a really good, really experienced team. SOTG nods are hard to come by.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2019, 03:16:23 PM »
Finally a SOTG?

DUNKS45

• All American
  • never too old
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2019, 03:19:58 PM »
Yes it's Joey time, I sent him a habanero salsa!

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2019, 03:23:04 PM »
Markus

30+ on the road.  Shot well n didnt have turnovers.

Markus all day.  This doesnt dimish tge others, just Markus was really good today
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2019, 03:39:16 PM »
Markus

30+ on the road.  Shot well n didnt have turnovers.

Markus all day.  This doesnt dimish tge others, just Markus was really good today

Do you not believe in proofreading your own posts?
Have some patience, FFS.

WarriorHal

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2019, 03:49:37 PM »
Is Joey Hauser really that far off from Ellenson as a freshman talent-wise? 

Joey is on a much, much better team and doesn't have to contribute nearly as much -- doesn't have the opportunity to do so because there are so many other really good players.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2019, 04:27:58 PM »
I would pick Joey over Ellenson every time because he is a much better shooter, defender, passer and team player than H.  Joey is a dominant winner.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2019, 05:24:52 PM »

Joey is on a much, much better team and doesn't have to contribute nearly as much -- doesn't have the opportunity to do so because there are so many other really good players.

I was gonna start a thread on this, but figured it would turn into an argument.

They are pretty close as I see it.

Joey is the better shooter and has a little better court awareness. Henry was a better rebounder and a slightly better defender. Both are solid ball handlers and passers.

We can't use numbers when comparing these two cuz Henry played on a crap team and was always the #1 option. Joey is the 3rd option on this team.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2019, 05:34:32 PM »
Jockey

If Joey was #1 option I think he would be putting up very big numbers. Hard to compare the two, but Joey has some big time talent. He makes some NBA type moves look easy. He is better than I expected, and I expected him to be really good.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2019, 05:43:36 PM »
Jockey

If Joey was #1 option I think he would be putting up very big numbers. Hard to compare the two, but Joey has some big time talent. He makes some NBA type moves look easy. He is better than I expected, and I expected him to be really good.

Agreed. I expected Joey to be good, but had no idea what to expect from him as a freshman. We heard so much about Bailey, and expected to have Morrow, Cain, and to an extent Elliott competing for those minutes, so I wasn't sure if Joey would be a 15 mpg guy or 22 mpg guy. I certainly didn't expect him to grow into the third cog in a new Big Three by January while averaging close to 30 mpg.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2019, 05:48:01 PM »
Brew
Biggest surprise to me this year is the guys not making an impact. My moderate optimism going into the season was based off who I was afraid was going to get big minutes. Honestly, Theo has completely shocked me and Wojo not playing guys I expected him to play has shocked me. I give Wojo a ton of credit of playing the right guys.
Back to Joey, I figured he would be a starter and contributor. I did not know exactly how polished and advanced of a player he really is. This kid is the real deal and in a big way.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2019, 05:52:20 PM »

Joey has been a much better shooter than Ellenson was as a freshman. Ellenson has him beat just about everywhere else.

Biggest difference between the two is that Ellenson was head and shoulders the best guy on a bad team whereas Joey is the 3rd best guy on a very good team.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2019, 06:59:28 PM »
Just as Markus benefited from all the good offensive players we had in 2016-17, and Sam benefited from having Rowsey and Markus on the court last season, I believe Joey is helped significantly by being on the court with Sam and Markus.

He doesn't have to carry the load, and that's good. Early in the season, he was scoring more on post moves but he's been scouted, plus he's going against better competition, and those moves have been less successful in the conference season. Conversely, he is getting a lot of wide-open perimeter looks due to the attention being paid to Markus and Sam.

And that's not to take anything away from Joey -- who is adroitly moving to the open spots to receive passes and who is making the shots.

Plus, it's not often that a freshman goes to the FT line in the final minute of a 1-possession game and I'm like, "No sweat, this'll be 2 points." He is what us oldsters would call "a cool customer."

I said a few weeks back that I think Joey will be a successful NBA player who very well might leave MU before his eligibility is up. But I'm not sure I'm quite ready to anoint him as a guy who can carry a BEast contender game-in and game-out, as some others have.

Put it this way: I'm glad we don't have to find out!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2019, 07:17:53 PM »

And that's not to take anything away from Joey -- who is adroitly moving to the open spots to receive passes and who is making the shots.

First time seeing someone use adroitly in a sentence on a message board. Well done.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2019, 07:26:52 PM »
MU82
Joey making the open shots is great and he has gotten some looks because of Sam and Howard being in the court. It is everything else he does that impresses me. Hitting 25 footers is great, but his intangibles are very advanced for a kid his age. Bo was the smartest, and probably best, freshmen ever to play at MU and Joey might be on same level of ball IQ as Bo.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2019, 07:34:05 PM »
He is due for an SOTG game. Only starter not in the tally!
It is a pretty big award. He needs to get some honorable mention and also get robbed a couple of times and then he will start to get one. I think that is the pecking order the selection committee works through.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2019, 07:39:52 PM »
I remember about a month ago when  reporters questioned Wojo about Joey talent and  he began to say he's  a good player.  The reporter started to ask another But Wojo said I'm not finished Joey is a Really, Really good player.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2019, 07:41:51 PM »
First time seeing someone use adroitly in a sentence on a message board. Well done.

And he did it very adroitly to boot
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."