'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Its about to get a lot tougher  (Read 10835 times)

MomofMUltiples

• All American
Re: Its about to get a lot tougher
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2019, 03:59:21 PM »
If this year is the year we've crossed the threshold of being at the top of the conference rather than the middle/bubble, then the next key to becoming Nova-like is consistency.  We should have high expectations with all the key players returning next year, but what happens after that?  Can Wojo, showing what he's done with Markus and Sam, attract big-time shooters who are able to step up and replace them right away? I think he can, as the team wins more and gains more recognition.  That will be a big key to continued success.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 04:01:33 PM by MomofMUltiples »
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2019, 04:00:35 PM »
Seems a bit peculiar to complain that our 17-3 record and no. 12 ranking haven't included enough blow outs.  As many have pointed out the schedule gets tougher, but we have more time to prepare for games.  Our defense has been very consistent, and that always puts in a position to win with the offensive potential we have.  Rather than worry about where and when our next loss will happen, enjoy the longest conference winning streak in 7 years.
I remember being really optimistic going into the game against Cincy (1992-93) when we were 17-2. We lost and finished the season 20-8 with a first round losses in conference tournament and NCCA tournament (Oklahoma St). However, the biggest disappointment was beating Jacksonville to go to 22-0 and then waking up the next morning to find out Chones went pro. We finished 25-4.
I am still really optimistic about going undefeated at home this year. I want to go 2-0 on this road trip, but will be satisfied with a split. I am hoping to go at least 25-6 in regular season. However, as you can see from above 17-3 does not guarantee end of season success.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2019, 04:04:32 PM »
I remember being really optimistic going into the game against Cincy (1992-93) when we were 17-2. We lost and finished the season 20-8 with a first round losses in conference tournament and NCCA tournament (Oklahoma St). However, the biggest disappointment was beating Jacksonville to go to 22-0 and then waking up the next morning to find out Chones went pro. We finished 25-4.
I am still really optimistic about going undefeated at home this year. I want to go 2-0 on this road trip, but will be satisfied with a split. I am hoping to go at least 25-6 in regular season. However, as you can see from above 17-3 does not guarantee end of season success.

While there are no guarantees in basketball, I think it's safe to say that Markus wont go pro between now and Saturday.  If a great start to the season only makes you think about disappointments 20+ years ago you gotta start living more in the moment.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2019, 04:59:36 PM »
Tower
The mental toughness and the shorter bench has surprised me. I did not think we had nine deep talent, but was worried he would go that deep. I expected 20-21 wins and bubble team. Again, the weakness of BE has even surprised me. I thought it would be down, but not this bad.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2019, 05:17:32 PM »
I felt, and still feel, in a normal year that this a bubble team.

We've overachieved, and maybe we should be 14-6, but even if Wisconsin, Creighton, and Georgetown had been losses, we're still comfortably a tourney team.

I think your definition of "normal year" is something you could reevaluate. Between more players going pro early and 68 teams in the field, what constitutes a bubble team is dramatically different. 2-3 good non-conference wins and a .500 or better record in a top-5 league is a virtual lock.

Our resume is way ahead of anyone on the bubble, but even at 14-6 with the losses above, there's a significant difference between us and teams like Florida, Cincinnati, Temple, Arizona, and other bubble teams.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2019, 05:25:22 PM »
Brew
I really hope this is not the new normal of college ball. The drop off from last year to this year is big time. I do not ever remember a year that such a small margin between 10-40 in the country.

Also, I am curious for those that were very high on this year’s squad and what they think, record aside. To me, they look almost exactly as I expected. Record wise they have blown me out of the water, overall talent, not so much.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2019, 05:29:28 PM »
We've overachieved, and maybe we should be 14-6, but even if Wisconsin, Creighton, and Georgetown had been losses, we're still comfortably a tourney team.

I think your definition of "normal year" is something you could reevaluate. Between more players going pro early and 68 teams in the field, what constitutes a bubble team is dramatically different. 2-3 good non-conference wins and a .500 or better record in a top-5 league is a virtual lock.

Our resume is way ahead of anyone on the bubble, but even at 14-6 with the losses above, there's a significant difference between us and teams like Florida, Cincinnati, Temple, Arizona, and other bubble teams.

Agree. Bubbles are super soft as a rule now.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2019, 05:32:02 PM »
Brew
I really hope this is not the new normal of college ball. The drop off from last year to this year is big time. I do not ever remember a year that such a small margin between 10-40 in the country.

Also, I am curious for those that were very high on this year’s squad and what they think, record aside. To me, they look almost exactly as I expected. Record wise they have blown me out of the water, overall talent, not so much.

Biggest noticeable improvement is the defense. I thought we'd improve from awful to mediocre, but we've been a legitimately good defensive team.

Offensively, they look pretty much as I expected.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2019, 05:36:00 PM »
Eagle

The D is definitely better, especially against mid level talent opponents. Fortunately, until NCAA most of the opponents will fall into that camp. Would like to see them shutdown St. John’s and ‘Nova over next couple of weeks. That will be measuring stick to me.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2019, 06:19:29 PM »
I for one, do not think they are playing above their talent level at all...I have been beating the drum for awhile that this team is VERY talented. To be honest(and yes losses happen), looking back at how they got their doors blown off at IU and at SJU and with the way those two teams have performed since, makes me even more angry than I was originally. I get maybe losing one of those games, but they should have never lost both. All in all, there isn't much to complain about with being 17-3 and not(yet...hopefully not this year) having one of those WTF games where MU loses to someone they have no business losing too in conference.

Cut down on the turnover's...and this teams potential is limitless.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2019, 06:32:42 PM »
Brew

Markus:  Better
Sacar:  Equal
Theo:  Better
Joey:  Equal
Sam:  Equal
Ed:  Equal
Joe:  Worse
Cain: Worse
Bailey:  Equal
Wojo:  Better
Defense:   I expected better, but it has been better than I expected. 
Offense:   Turnovers are an issue.   When MU doesn't turn the ball over, about what I expected.
Rebounding:  Better.   Until recently

Issues I see:   Wearing Markus out.     The bench is not contributing enough.    Theo's recent run of attempting to block or alter every shot near the rim has led to poor rotations, him out of position, and a lot of offensive rebounds for opponents.   He is going to need to find a balance.    Joey is playing too many minutes for a freshman.   Hopefully, he is able to get some rest next month.   Chartouny has to contribute consistently.    Matt Heldt is going to have to get some minutes when MU is getting beat up on the defensive boards.   

The individual players are about what I expected.   Due to the improved defense and the mental toughness, the TEAM is slightly better than I expected.    There is still 11 games to go and so much that I have enjoyed can easily go astray.  We have already seen that with Markus's back.   I am not kidding myself that this team can win it all.      I believe that the poll rankings more accurately reflect this team's accomplishments than do the NET rankings.   Because, as you say, the gap between 10 and 40 is not that great.     

But I now see proof of concept with Wojo.   Theoretically, next year's team is going to be even better.       
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2019, 09:06:35 PM »
The polls have us as a top 12 team. The computers have us a team in the mid-30s. I think the truth of the matter is somewhere in the middle. But we have put together a top 12 resume to this point. And if we are a mid-30s team that can put together the resume of a top 12 team...I'd much rather have that than the reverse.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2019, 12:26:47 AM »
While there are no guarantees in basketball, I think it's safe to say that Markus wont go pro between now and Saturday.  If a great start to the season only makes you think about disappointments 20+ years ago you gotta start living more in the moment.
This topic made me think about disappointments. I was not thinking about it before this. Markus will not go pro, but a season ending injury to him or either Hauser might have a similar effect. As the coaches say the focus is always on the next game.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2019, 05:41:45 AM »
This 6 game winning streak has been fun but I can’t help but be concerned that things are going to get a lot tougher from this point out.

First we have yet to play Nova or Butler.  Nova looks much improved from the team that lost 4 times in the non-con.  They handled Butler at Butler rather easily Tuesday night.  Marquette’s 2 road wins have gone down to the last possession with the “Miracle in Omaha” being a game that MU really should have lost.  And keep in mind that both wins are against teams at the bottom of the BE standings.  MU’s only convincing W has been the 18 point beat down of X. 

We’ll see Saturday if MU is really that much better than X or that was just a case of a young team with a new coach letting a road game get out of control.  Someone mentioned that MU must learn to play with a “target on their back”.   I don’t think we’ve even begun to see the pressure that will put on us.  Carrying a ranking on the road is far more difficult than facing the same situation at home.

As it gets later in the season MU (and Nova) are going to be the only chances the rest of the BE teams are going to have for a signature win so I’d expect the road crowds to be extremely fired up when we play.  These mental lapses, turn overs and scoring droughts that still seem to dog this team are going to result in momentum for the other team that we won’t be able to recover from. 

Wojo has to find a way to keep our guys focused for 40 minutes.  Ten minutes of the sloppy play we saw in the second half of last night’s game and the first half of Providence will doom this team to losses based on who we’re playing and where we’re playing for the rest of the season

I don’t know how you get a team to make that leap but it better happen soon or the second half of the season could be not nearly as much fun as the first.

Edit: Paragraphs are your friend.
Does Wojo call a to when we get sloppy? Rarely
Does Wojo bench Markus or Joey for tos? No
 The only guys he benched for that are Cain and Bailey. The sloppy play we all are concerned about are the responsibility of the coach
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2019, 05:52:55 AM »
I'm not worried about the margins of victory, especially on the road. It seems in recent years there are a lot more close conference games and upsets. Look at #1 Tennessee's last two games; 3 point home win against mid table Alabama and 5 point away win against last place Vanderbilt.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2019, 08:24:23 AM »
Does Wojo call a to when we get sloppy? Rarely
Does Wojo bench Markus or Joey for tos? No
 The only guys he benched for that are Cain and Bailey. The sloppy play we all are concerned about are the responsibility of the coach

Wojo gets 4 timeouts to use.  Have you not been watching?  When the team has started slow in the second half he's always used a very quick timeout, and they usually respond.  You can't take a timeout every time the team goes 3 possessions without scoring.  You'll be out of timeouts at halftime.

Wojo doesn't bench Markus or Joey for the same turnovers he does for Cain and Bailey because Markus and Joey provide a lot more for the team than Cain and Bailey do right now.  If Bailey turned the ball over in the Georgetown game well into when he was playing effective basketball Wojo would not have benched him.  If Cain comes in, doesn't shoot open looks (or misses open shots), gets lost on defense, and then turns the ball over guess what?  He's going to the bench.

Every coach at every level of basketball will give his better players longer leashes than his worse players.  It's simple common sense.  DJ Wilson is not going to be given the same opportunity to perform as Giannis is.  Kevon Looney is not going to be given the same leash as Steph Curry or Kevin Durant.  Alex O'Connell is not going to be given the same opportunity as Zion Williamson.  It's absolutely insane to suggest that a coach who doesn't give every single player the same treatment for the same mistake is the cause of any team sloppiness.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 08:27:08 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2019, 08:26:44 AM »
The polls have us as a top 12 team. The computers have us a team in the mid-30s. I think the truth of the matter is somewhere in the middle. But we have put together a top 12 resume to this point. And if we are a mid-30s team that can put together the resume of a top 12 team...I'd much rather have that than the reverse.

With a gap like that, the truth is always somewhere in between. That said, I think we have some intangibles the put us closer to 12 than the mid-30s: experienced leadership, multiple shooters. And we have lots of experience playing - and winning - close games (UL, UW@M, Creighton, GTown). Confidence heading into the final minutes is huge when there are so many close games these days.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2019, 08:37:55 AM »
Sound logic, wades.  Consider who you are debating with.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2019, 08:44:15 AM »
Wojo gets 4 timeouts to use.  Have you not been watching?  When the team has started slow in the second half he's always used a very quick timeout, and they usually respond.  You can't take a timeout every time the team goes 3 possessions without scoring.  You'll be out of timeouts at halftime.

Wojo doesn't bench Markus or Joey for the same turnovers he does for Cain and Bailey because Markus and Joey provide a lot more for the team than Cain and Bailey do right now.  If Bailey turned the ball over in the Georgetown game well into when he was playing effective basketball Wojo would not have benched him.  If Cain comes in, doesn't shoot open looks (or misses open shots), gets lost on defense, and then turns the ball over guess what?  He's going to the bench.

Every coach at every level of basketball will give his better players longer leashes than his worse players.  It's simple common sense.  DJ Wilson is not going to be given the same opportunity to perform as Giannis is.  Kevon Looney is not going to be given the same leash as Steph Curry or Kevin Durant.  Alex O'Connell is not going to be given the same opportunity as Zion Williamson.  It's absolutely insane to suggest that a coach who doesn't give every single player the same treatment for the same mistake is the cause of any team sloppiness.
Disagree. Team sloppiness is the coach's responsibility to correct
Whether it be by time outs  substitutions etc.
Yes I have been watching. Your example of a time out in the second half is not a good one. Many of the slop occurs early in the gsme.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2019, 08:46:40 AM »
Disagree. Team sloppiness is the coach's responsibility to correct
Whether it be by time outs  substitutions etc.
Yes I have been watching. Your example of a time out in the second half is not a good one. Many of the slop occurs early in the gsme.

So your suggestion is he uses all 4 timeouts he has for the entire game early on in the first half?

I, for one, am glad he had a timeout remaining at the end of the Creighton game.  And has had ones left when we've started the second half poorly against Seton Hall and DePaul.  Etc.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2019, 08:48:56 AM »
Sound logic, wades.  Consider who you are debating with.
Spoken like a true worshiper of all things Wojo. I should know better than to offer any criticism of the architect of Duke of the midwest
After all, groupthink is sacred

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2019, 08:51:16 AM »
Spoken like a true worshiper of all things Wojo. I should know better than to offer any criticism of the architect of Duke of the midwest

So all the pollsters that put us #12 in the nation have groupthink as well?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2019, 08:59:49 AM »
So your suggestion is he uses all 4 timeouts he has for the entire game early on in the first half?

"What's wrong with that?"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2019, 09:03:23 AM »
Seems a bit peculiar to complain that our 17-3 record and no. 12 ranking haven't included enough blow outs.  As many have pointed out the schedule gets tougher, but we have more time to prepare for games.  Our defense has been very consistent, and that always puts in a position to win with the offensive potential we have.  Rather than worry about where and when our next loss will happen, enjoy the longest conference winning streak in 7 years.

Of all who have commented so far, this aligns most with my thinking. (Though I also agree with what TAMU, wades, tower and others have said, too.)

It doesn't mean we have no flaws or weaknesses, or that we are guaranteed anything, but it has been a very enjoyable season so far, and I'm not sure why some folks are so worried about what could have happened or what might happen ... except that we're fans - fanatics - and that's how we roll.

So much talk about games we "should have lost." There was 1 game that one could argue we "should" have lost - Creighton - and I thought it took nuggets the size of grapefruit that, when they gave us an opening, we took it. (Even if Wojo's play wasn't as good as Ners' would have been.) Creighton made the mistake of giving a very good team a second chance, we tied it up, and we totally controlled the OT.

Otherwise, the close games weren't anything different than what is happening to ranked teams all around the country ... except for the fact that, unlike other ranked teams, haven't lost any of them. I would think that would be cause for celebration, not consternation. That's a tough-minded attitude, talent, playmaking ability at winning time, and good coaching. I want all of those things in March.

Thanks for explaining how coaching works to a joyless mope who, rather than celebrate a national title, would complain that Wojo should have won the championship game by 8 instead of 6.

Just let a game end with Wojo having no time-outs available because he burned them all in the first half, and hear the whining from the likes of joyless willie.

Joylessness ... what a lousy way to go through life.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2019, 09:06:25 AM »
17-3.   Complaining.  Sure, there are things that can be tightened up.  But you are consistent.  S16-S16-E8, and you were complaining.  You be you, Willie.

feedback