[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette First Major Conference School to Add Varsity Esports  (Read 7880 times)

oldwarrior81

• All American
Re: Marquette First Major Conference School to Add Varsity Esports
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2019, 10:55:20 AM »
My beef is with the name.  These are not sports.  They are games, they are competitions, etc... but they are not sports.

What else is not a sport:
- anything you can do while holding a beer
- anything where the horse/dog/bull/other animal does most of the work
- anything that simulates a real sport

and as the AD at Clemson once said, when asked about adding crew as a potential varsity sport, "We aren't going to have a "sport" where you sit down and go backwards"

McCormick Survivor

• Walk-On
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2019, 11:05:31 AM »
We have to careful to avoid recruiting violations.  Instead of a situation where coaches used real sex workers to entice recruits, Marquette must now avoid providing links to on-line chat rooms. And don't get me started on the potential for a large bribery and corruption scheme over courting athletic company Addidas to provide apparel sponsorships. What esport kid wouldn't want new pocket protectors for himself and his family with three stripes on them?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2019, 11:27:13 AM »
Well, they might not act like one but they are.

Not sure how our press release got that wrong.

Hell, the ESPN link someone posted up-thread (dated March 2018) lists Ohio State among the varsity esports programs.  However one feels about them, it's pretty hard to argue that The BigTen and/or OSU aren't "major conference."  I can't believe that Marquette would have it so wrong in the release.  There must be a distinction that they're pointing to that makes it different from the others.  I'm guessing the "run by an athletics program," but I have no idea how OSU (or others) handle things.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2019, 11:37:41 AM »
My beef is with the name.  These are not sports.  They are games, they are competitions, etc... but they are not sports.

What else is not a sport:
- anything you can do while holding a beer
- anything where the horse/dog/bull/other animal does most of the work
- anything that simulates a real sport

What are your thoughts on Slamball?
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Warrior3211

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2019, 04:57:25 PM »
Hell, the ESPN link someone posted up-thread (dated March 2018) lists Ohio State among the varsity esports programs.  However one feels about them, it's pretty hard to argue that The BigTen and/or OSU aren't "major conference."  I can't believe that Marquette would have it so wrong in the release.  There must be a distinction that they're pointing to that makes it different from the others.  I'm guessing the "run by an athletics program," but I have no idea how OSU (or others) handle things.

you're spot on... it's that Marquette's team will be overseen by the athletics department.  That's why they are claiming the "first" title.

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2019, 07:56:10 PM »
"Being named after an explorer means it's in Marquette's DNA to define the opportunities of tomorrow and ensure we're anticipating what future students will expect," said President Michael R. Lovell. "Marquette embraces new methods of teaching and areas of study, and esports and gaming in general have the potential to impact both, while also helping to strengthen our student recruitment prospects in an increasingly competitive environment."

Seems like a stretch.

Osiris

• Starter
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2019, 08:50:42 PM »
"Being named after an explorer means it's in Marquette's DNA to define the opportunities of tomorrow and ensure we're anticipating what future students will expect," said President Michael R. Lovell. "Marquette embraces new methods of teaching and areas of study, and esports and gaming in general have the potential to impact both, while also helping to strengthen our student recruitment prospects in an increasingly competitive environment."

Seems like a stretch.

Oh, I doubt they stretch.
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. Winston Churchill

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Osiris

• Starter
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. Winston Churchill

feedback