[Today at 07:04:13 PM]

Where is Marquette? by NickelDimer
[Today at 07:02:50 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Ranking Wojo's Outgoing Transfers  (Read 4079 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Ranking Wojo's Outgoing Transfers
« on: January 21, 2019, 03:44:14 PM »
During the Wojo era, he has eight players transfer to other D1 schools.  So for the purposes of this exercise, I am not counting Harry Froling or Wally Ellenson since they left for opportunities outside of college ball.  These rankings are based on their play after they left MU.

1. Deonte Burton - leading scorer for a top 25 ISU team and is now on an NBA roster
2. Gabe Levin - pretty much started all games when he was healthy over three seasons for Long Beach
3. Sandy Cohen - starter and 30+ minute guy for a Horizon League program
4. Steve Taylor, Jr. - only one year at Toledo but very solid statistically
5. John Dawson - ditto to Sandy, but doesn't have the same level of statistical accomplishment
6. Duane Wilson - if he had been healthy for his entire season at A&M, likely would be higher on this list
7. Traci Carter - starter on a very poor LaSalle team
8. Haanif Cheatham - played a total of ten games for FGCU

EDIT:  Forgot Steve Taylor, Jr. in my original post.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 04:09:15 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MUBigDance

• All American
Re: Ranking Wojo's Outgoing Transfers
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 03:55:15 PM »
I think we have to expect players good enough to scholarship at MU to be decent at other places....so no surprises here.

Note: Haanif was the leading scorer "I think" for FGCU somewhere at 13ppg in those 10...recurring shoulder injury did him in. Not unsuccessful.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 03:58:37 PM »
I think we have to expect players good enough to scholarship at MU to be decent at other places....so no surprises here.

Note: Haanif was the leading scorer "I think" for FGCU somewhere at 13ppg in those 10...recurring shoulder injury did him in. Not unsuccessful.

Real big bummer about his shoulder. Hopefully his rehab goes well. Should have a nice career overseas.

Wojo definitely runs a great program. As a result, some really good kids may need to go elsewhere for playing time--or in the case of some of our transfers, may have life events that require them to go elsewhere. I wish nothing but the best for the kids that come through our program.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 04:01:27 PM »
... I wish nothing but the best for the kids that come through our program.

+1

LeftyWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 04:04:39 PM »
This is interesting to see.  The better MU gets and the higher ranked recruits we sign, the more likely it is that kids will leave and be successful at other schools.

It is interesting to compare the kids that left and the transfers that came in listed in another thread. I think MU is on the plus side of such a comparison.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 04:06:48 PM by LeftyWarrior »

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 04:11:13 PM »
I forgot Steve Taylor, Jr. in my original post.  He has now been added.

It is interesting to compare the kids that left and the transfers that came in listed in another thread. I think MU is on the plus side of such a comparison.

The players who have come in have largely been real big hits, or busts.  I would say Chartouny is the only one who straddles that line.  On the other hand, the players who transferred out have all been solid, but obviously at lower levels.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 04:23:43 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 04:47:16 PM »
Writing may be on the wall for cain. He's just been oddly bad all year. Especially with more guards who can probably play the 3 next year he may get no minutes if he stays like this

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 05:00:33 PM »

On the other hand, the players who transferred out have all been solid, but obviously at lower levels.

ISU and Texas A+M are not at lower levels than MU. And Burton was much more than solid - way better (IMO) than any of our transfer in guys.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 05:04:39 PM »
Writing may be on the wall for cain. He's just been oddly bad all year. Especially with more guards who can probably play the 3 next year he may get no minutes if he stays like this

What incoming player will be at the 3? Koby and Dexter are pure PGs, and Elliott would come off the bench to spell MH or AR and be the off guard pushing Sacar to the 3.

ISU and Texas A+M are not at lower levels than MU. And Burton was much more than solid - way better (IMO) than any of our transfer in guys.

AR has been the best collegiate player to transfer in or out of our program since Wojo took the helm.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 05:14:41 PM »

In addition to DJO's comment about Andrew, I'm not so sure Deonte was "way better" than Luke, at least in college.

In 2 years at ISU, Deonte averaged 12.8 ppg and 5.2 rpg.
In 2.5 years at MU, Luke averaged 11.4 ppg and 5.7 rpg.

Pretty much a wash.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 05:23:09 PM »
Insofar that a transfer out can be traditional/conventional, a lot of these guys were not traditional at all. Most had to do with the coaching transition. Deonte would have been great for us and needed to move on for extraordinary personal reasons. It clearly allowed him an opportunity to reset... Not a failure on our part, put him in the success column.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2019, 05:24:54 PM »
Burton wasn't staying regardless, so it is moot.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2019, 05:25:22 PM »

You might end up being right about this. Cain will have a decision to make after this season. In his mind, maybe he already has made it.

I'm not so sure Deonte was "way better" than Luke, at least in college.

In 2 years at ISU, Deonte averaged 12.8 ppg and 5.2 rpg.
In 2.5 years at MU, Luke averaged 11.4 ppg and 5.7 rpg.

Pretty much a wash.

Agreed. But wasn't Luke technically a Buzz transfer-inner?

AR has been the best collegiate player to transfer in or out of our program since Wojo took the helm.

Easily. And better than any player Wojo has lost IMHO, quite a bit better depending on the metrics one might choose to use.

I wish things would have worked out for Deonte at Marquette. Became a fine offensive player who was also capable of making big plays on D. But we all know about his personal circumstances, and who knows what else was going on in his mind back then? I sure don't, and I doubt most Scoopers who claim to know do.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2019, 05:42:19 PM »

Agreed. But wasn't Luke technically a Buzz transfer-inner?

Debatable. He decided to come here during the Buzz era, but didn't play a minute for him. I guess we could define it any way we want....
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 05:44:06 PM by GooooMarquette »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2019, 05:44:20 PM »
Debatable. He decided to come here during the Buzz era, but didn't play a minute for him.

I understand that, but Buzz was the one who got him to be a Warrior. For him to transfer again after Buzz left would have been very detrimental to his career. Most here know I'm bullish on Wojo, but it's not easy for me to give Wojo "credit" for him.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2019, 05:48:42 PM »
Iowa State finished 2nd in the Big 12 Deonte's senior year. They ended Kansas's 54 game home winning streak, won the conference tournament and were a #5 seed in the NCAA tournament. Deonte stared all 35 games and led the team in rebounds, blocks and steals and was the team's 2nd leading scorer.

AR was a world class shooter and all around very good offensive player and an awful defensive player on a team that finished in the middle of the pack in the Big East and went to the NIT

Luke was OK.

I would take Deonte over either, though you could make an argument for AR.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2019, 05:51:27 PM »
I understand that, but Buzz was the one who got him to be a Warrior. For him to transfer again after Buzz left would have been very detrimental to his career. Most here know I'm bullish on Wojo, but it's not easy for me to give Wojo "credit" for him.

I'm OK with that. But FWIW, there are two aspects to judging guys who come and go:

• Why they decided to move
  • How they did once they moved

Buzz certainly gets credit for bringing Luke to campus, but Wojo gets the credit for his performance.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2019, 06:34:40 PM »
This feels like a Ners bait thread

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2019, 06:58:26 PM »

You are correct. I chose my words poorly.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2019, 08:05:06 PM »
I think it is hard to define a player as one coaches transfer out when they weren’t responsible for them being brought in or they didn’t spend time together.

In the case of Taylor and Burton, I believe one foot was out the door before Buzz even announced he was leaving. It was rumored that Taylor was leaving until Buzz left. Is it really a Wojo transfer out because he was able to keep him for an extra year?  Burton needed to get out of town so I think that is a category of its own. Dawson was a Buzz mistake. He wasn’t High major and he needed to transfer to get PT.  because of that I don’t count them as Wojo’s.

I think you do need to include Harry and Wally. though they aren’t transfer by definition you need to account for those players that WoJo recruited. Same with Cohen because Wojo went after him and got him to stay therefore making him a Wojo recruit. 

Wilson was in a unique position in that he had a injury during Buzz’s last year and was red shirted. If he were to transfer he would have sat again so he stayed until Howard was going to take his spot. With him staying with Wojo for 2 years I think he is Wojo’s.

The others are all Wojo’s. If sliced this way I think it is a wash on talent. I am excited that we currently aren’t seeing the same revolving door like Crean or Buzz. I would like to see Cain stay and hope we have an uneventful transfer out season.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2019, 08:07:45 PM »
Dumb topic at a dumb time

In fact, projecting ir speculating about transfers is always a dumb topic at a dumb time and does none of the players any favors
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2019, 08:22:57 PM »
Burton wasn't staying regardless, so it is moot.

Yo man, I got this great bridge for sale. It connects the boroughs of Manhattan and Brooklyn. Interested?

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2019, 08:26:02 PM »
Iowa State finished 2nd in the Big 12 Deonte's senior year. They ended Kansas's 54 game home winning streak, won the conference tournament and were a #5 seed in the NCAA tournament. Deonte stared all 35 games and led the team in rebounds, blocks and steals and was the team's 2nd leading scorer.

AR was a world class shooter and all around very good offensive player and an awful defensive player on a team that finished in the middle of the pack in the Big East and went to the NIT

Luke was OK.

I would take Deonte over either, though you could make an argument for AR.

I'd take Deonte over Luke + Rowsey together. And I don't even see it as close.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2019, 08:38:26 PM »
Yo man, I got this great bridge for sale. It connects the boroughs of Manhattan and Brooklyn. Interested?

You can't do that; Giuliani owns it

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2019, 08:53:00 PM »
I'd take Deonte over Luke + Rowsey together. And I don't even see it as close.

This seems like a super hot take