[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by bilsu
[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: SlingTV and CBSSN  (Read 4975 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: SlingTV and CBSSN
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2019, 08:31:10 PM »
Let me explain how this works since I've gone through it so many years.

<fill in your sports or other channel> will come to Comcast, DISH, YouTubeTV, PS Vue, Hulu, AT&T, etc, etc at the next renewal.  They will ask for more money.  Those distributors will say "wait, subscribers are done, even on paid over the top services where cord cutters go", no more money. In fact, less money because your channel is worth less than ever before.

Channel will say, but that's because some people are pirating our channel.

Not our problem, we aren't going to keep paying higher prices for a channel that you are letting others watch at no cost and watch our customers carry the freight.  Why should our customers be penalized?  Enforce it, watermark it to catch those that are stealing it as others have done, and get serious.

That's why it ultimately should matter to a MU, the Big East, and why people should give a crap.  ESPECIALLY for a conference like the Big East, where the contract matters so much.  We aren't MUST have content where this stuff can slide, there's a reason we are on a network like CBS SN from time to time.  Channels will bid based on value they can get, but if that value continues to be eroded, then they either pay less or abandon alltogther.

As this continues, those conversations intensify between channels and those that deliver it. Already one channel is almost gone as a result, will see if they can hang on for another year but I doubt it...death spiral.  A second is in major trouble.  That's why it matters.  If people aren't going to pay for stuff that costs money, that's a problem.

We all UNDERSTAND it, cheeky. It’s just that your concern for a dollars and cents issue over a legitimate safety issue is so seriously messed up.

You want a reason not to speed? Look at research by UC- Berkeley.

A study presented at the University of California at Berkeley last year found that for every 1 percent increase in speed, a driver’s chance of an accident increases by 2 percent, the chance of serious injury increases by 3 percent, and the chance of a fatality increases by about 4 percent.

https://www.automotive-fleet.com/driver-care/239354/driver-care-how-speeding-affects-accident-impact

So yeah, your speeding is every bit as big a deal, and more.

HansMoleman

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2019, 08:40:27 PM »
We all UNDERSTAND it, cheeky. It’s just that your concern for a dollars and cents issue over a legitimate safety issue is so seriously messed up.

You want a reason not to speed? Look at research by UC- Berkeley.

A study presented at the University of California at Berkeley last year found that for every 1 percent increase in speed, a driver’s chance of an accident increases by 2 percent, the chance of serious injury increases by 3 percent, and the chance of a fatality increases by about 4 percent.

https://www.automotive-fleet.com/driver-care/239354/driver-care-how-speeding-affects-accident-impact

So yeah, your speeding is every bit as big a deal, and more.

All that aside, you cool with stealing programming?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2019, 09:04:57 PM »
All that aside, you cool with stealing programming?

Yes. But for context, I pay for 99.9% of what I watch. In the past year, I have watched one MU game on a pirated stream. Nothing else. Yes, that one game was illegal, but far less concerning than the speeding and rolling stops that virtually everyone in America does. And that doesn’t even begin to touch the texting and driving that I see every single day.

To complete the context - Do I speed or do rolling stops? Yes, but more often I am the guy getting passed. And I never text or make calls while driving.

So yeah - I occasionally do something “bad.” But compared to most peoples’ speeding and especially calling and texting while driving, I’m practically a freakin angel.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 09:06:58 PM by GooooMarquette »

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2019, 11:10:23 PM »
Yes. But for context, I pay for 99.9% of what I watch. In the past year, I have watched one MU game on a pirated stream. Nothing else. Yes, that one game was illegal, but far less concerning than the speeding and rolling stops that virtually everyone in America does. And that doesn’t even begin to touch the texting and driving that I see every single day.

To complete the context - Do I speed or do rolling stops? Yes, but more often I am the guy getting passed. And I never text or make calls while driving.

So yeah - I occasionally do something “bad.” But compared to most peoples’ speeding and especially calling and texting while driving, I’m practically a freakin angel.

I'm sure your canonization ceremony is all in order. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2019, 11:45:06 PM »
I'm sure your canonization ceremony is all in order.

Hardly. Just a guy who generally tries to do the right thing, but isn't perfect. If that gets me canonized, the world is in more trouble than I thought....

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2019, 09:19:15 AM »
There was an international study done that found piracy of streaming does not actually take any meaningful amount of money away from distributers. They found that they were just using said argument to increase prices.

I'll continually "illegally" stream anything that doesn't have a reasonable way to watch it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2019, 09:29:40 AM »
Snuck outside candy into a movie theater.  Not feeling that bad.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2019, 09:38:14 AM »
There was an international study done that found piracy of streaming does not actually take any meaningful amount of money away from distributers. They found that they were just using said argument to increase prices.

I'll continually "illegally" stream anything that doesn't have a reasonable way to watch it.

A few years ago that was true, no longer the case which is why the pushback is occurring.  I used to go to meetings where people would say it was so great, it is exposure and we are in growth mode.  I would say to them, tell me that story in a few years and I’ll bet you change your tune when you are on the hook for paying actors, leagues, etc.  That day has arrived. 

With most OTT services losing money simply to grab scale, the financial people are saying enough as are the downstream entities that need the money to operate.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/19/millennials-are-going-to-extreme-lengths-to-share-streaming-passwords-.html

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/synamedia-launches-credentials-sharing-insight---turns-casual-password-sharing-into-incremental-revenues-for-service-providers-300767316.html

https://www.rapidtvnews.com/2018122054561/credential-sharing-costing-video-providers-millions-in-lost-revenue.html#axzz5dFzHm9kt

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2019, 01:07:45 PM »
Snuck outside candy into a movie theater.  Not feeling that bad.

was there a sign specifying that you cannot bring anything to eat or drink into theater?  i haven't been to a movie in a theater in 25-30 years.  i know golf course specifically say NO CARRY ONS
don't...don't don't don't don't

tower912

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2019, 02:04:10 PM »
No alcohol carry ons.   It is a state law here that any alcohol consumed on a golf course must be purchased on a golf course.    Water bottles and protein bars are perfectly allowable.    And yes, the movie theater had a sign prohibiting carrying in food.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2019, 02:07:29 PM »
No shoes
No shirts
No service

Due dey inforce dis chit, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

reinko

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2019, 02:36:01 PM »
Legitimate q, is it “illegal” is to consume pirated streams on sites like reddit?  May be unethical, and perpetuates those who do the actual streaming, bc they get clicks on ad revenue, and may be a rule buried in your ISP contract...

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2019, 05:29:11 PM »

No alcohol carry ons.   It is a state law here that any alcohol consumed on a golf course must be purchased on a golf course.    Water bottles and protein bars are perfectly allowable.    And yes, the movie theater had a sign prohibiting carrying in food.

That made it against the movie theater's rules, but I seriously doubt it was illegal.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2019, 09:38:49 PM »
Legitimate q, is it “illegal” is to consume pirated streams on sites like reddit?  May be unethical, and perpetuates those who do the actual streaming, bc they get clicks on ad revenue, and may be a rule buried in your ISP contract...

Yes
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2019, 05:40:05 AM »
Yes

What if we need the stream to feed our starving family?

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2019, 05:50:32 AM »
On a more serious note, it’s disappointing the Big East has no legit way to watch overseas. I’d happily pay $10-15/month for a real high quality stream, but the ESPN Player is the only option and it doesn’t carry our stuff.

NWarsh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2019, 10:42:11 AM »
On a more serious note, it’s disappointing the Big East has no legit way to watch overseas. I’d happily pay $10-15/month for a real high quality stream, but the ESPN Player is the only option and it doesn’t carry our stuff.

This makes you the scum of humanity for stealing when there are no other options to relax and watch your favorite college basketball team

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2019, 11:39:11 AM »
This makes you the scum of humanity for stealing when there are no other options to relax and watch your favorite college basketball team

tower912

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2019, 11:57:55 AM »
Go peel some tags off of some mattresses.   

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2019, 12:49:08 PM »
Go peel some tags off of some mattresses.

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

feedback