[Today at 07:52:45 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: SlingTV and CBSSN  (Read 4947 times)

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
SlingTV and CBSSN
« on: January 20, 2019, 07:31:28 AM »
Todays game is on CBSSN, which I do not have access. I have SlingTV which does not have access to the channel, even through the Sports Extra package.

Any recommendations or streams on viewing today's game and future games on CBSSN?
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

YoungMUFan4

• All American
Re: SlingTV and CBSSN
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 08:08:49 AM »

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 08:27:26 AM »
Thanks will do.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 09:44:10 AM »
Illegal
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 11:38:04 AM »
Todays game is on CBSSN, which I do not have access. I have SlingTV which does not have access to the channel, even through the Sports Extra package.

Any recommendations or streams on viewing today's game and future games on CBSSN?

YouTube TV has it and is a much better service, IMO. I have used all of the streaming services, so not just saying that without experience. Sling is my least favorite.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 01:47:27 PM »
Illegal

And once more I ask: Have you EVER exceeded the speed limit or proceeded past a stop sign without an absolutely complete stop?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 02:59:28 PM »
And once more I ask: Have you EVER exceeded the speed limit or proceeded past a stop sign without an absolutely complete stop?

Yes.  It's called a moving violation.  What you are advocating is theft or fraud.  There is a difference.  People pay money for content, subscribers.  Companies pay money to CBS, FOX, etc to distribute that content, costs money. Schools and conferences are given some of that money.

You can dismiss it as you wish, it doesn't make it any less of theft.  Last week in NYC major conversations about this around HBO and password sharing.  The actors starting to get ticked because they feel they are being short changed.  etc etc.  Call it what it is....theft.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 03:17:09 PM »
Yes.  It's called a moving violation.  What you are advocating is theft or fraud.  There is a difference.  People pay money for content, subscribers.  Companies pay money to CBS, FOX, etc to distribute that content, costs money. Schools and conferences are given some of that money.

You can dismiss it as you wish, it doesn't make it any less of theft.  Last week in NYC major conversations about this around HBO and password sharing.  The actors starting to get ticked because they feel they are being short changed.  etc etc.  Call it what it is....theft.

Moving violation = illegal.

So you’re the guy who decides which laws are important and which aren’t?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 03:38:04 PM »
Moving violation = illegal.

So you’re the guy who decides which laws are important and which aren’t?

No, the courts have already done that, thankfully.  Stealing TV signal has a 5 year maximum prison term and hefty fine.  Running a stop sign is considered a traffic violation and dependent on the state, the fines are $100 to $1500 maximum (South Carolina at top end). 

TV signal piracy gets into all kinds of fun things with copyright law, etc.  The Commercial Felony Streaming Act was not passed in Congress a number of years ago, but Hollywood is pushing hard to have it pushed back because they know how much money they are losing.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 04:45:36 PM »
No, the courts have already done that, thankfully.  Stealing TV signal has a 5 year maximum prison term and hefty fine.  Running a stop sign is considered a traffic violation and dependent on the state, the fines are $100 to $1500 maximum (South Carolina at top end). 

TV signal piracy gets into all kinds of fun things with copyright law, etc.  The Commercial Felony Streaming Act was not passed in Congress a number of years ago, but Hollywood is pushing hard to have it pushed back because they know how much money they are losing.

So again...moving violation = illegal.

Thanks. Again.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2019, 04:50:15 PM »
So again...moving violation = illegal.

Thanks. Again.

Murder = illegal, too.   Selling dog hair in Delaware also illegal.

Penalties might vary between the two.   Sort of like your examples. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2019, 04:56:48 PM »

Cmon man.  Not all things that are illegal are equal.  This is a terrible comparison. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2019, 06:11:52 PM »
Murder = illegal, too.   Selling dog hair in Delaware also illegal.

Penalties might vary between the two.   Sort of like your examples.

Just making the point that your constant references to online streams as "illegal" are vacuous and self-serving.

Admit it for what it is - not an altruistic concern that others fastidiously follow the law, but rather a desire to make your own livelihood more secure. Object all you want; just stop using "illegal" as the reason.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2019, 06:13:06 PM »
Cmon man.  Not all things that are illegal are equal.  This is a terrible comparison.

Sorry, you're right.

Speeding and running stop signs can actually kill people. Watching an illegal stream can't. My bad.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2019, 06:24:06 PM »

Gee I wonder why this is. Monied interests, by chance?

Which action is more likely to kill a fellow citizen?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2019, 06:32:07 PM »
Just making the point that your constant references to online streams as "illegal" are vacuous and self-serving.

Admit it for what it is - not an altruistic concern that others fastidiously follow the law, but rather a desire to make your own livelihood more secure. Object all you want; just stop using "illegal" as the reason.

You still haven't just accepted for what it is....theft.  Why not? Because you don't see the direct damage? It's theft, period.

My livelihood has nothing to do with it, my livelihood is impacted far differently to be frank...in the old days, yes, but not with what I do now.  In fact one of the victims longer term will be entities like Marquette.  Those that pay the bills for this stuff at the top of the funnel are telling those that are selling it, if you are going to continue to put the risk on them to foot the bill with higher and higher fees and then let people steal it with no ramifications, no longer going to cut it.  This is why actors are demanding actions in their studio contracts, you will start to see it with athletes and others in their next round.  Someone will pop off and say say "see, they're still getting $500M for their deal", but that deal could haven been $650M.  For the same reason fraud is worked into insurance rates and the people NOT stealing have to pay for those that are.

Theft is theft.  It doesn't make it any less so because you didn't walk into a store and take something out the door without paying for it. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2019, 06:35:48 PM »
Gee I wonder why this is. Monied interests, by chance?

Which action is more likely to kill a fellow citizen?

The classic, "no one is getting hurt"....except some are.  Not all damage is physical, there are economic damages to people, the vast vast vast vast majority of them middle class.  Revenues down, jobs are cut.  Pretty simple.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2019, 06:41:02 PM »
You still haven't just accepted for what it is....theft.  Why not? Because you don't see the direct damage? It's theft, period.

My livelihood has nothing to do with it, my livelihood is impacted far differently to be frank...in the old days, yes, but not with what I do now.  In fact one of the victims longer term will be entities like Marquette.  Those that pay the bills for this stuff at the top of the funnel are telling those that are selling it, if you are going to continue to put the risk on them to foot the bill with higher and higher fees and then let people steal it with no ramifications, no longer going to cut it.  This is why actors are demanding actions in their studio contracts, you will start to see it with athletes and others in their next round.  Someone will pop off and say say "see, they're still getting $500M for their deal", but that deal could haven been $650M.  For the same reason fraud is worked into insurance rates and the people NOT stealing have to pay for those that are.

Theft is theft.  It doesn't make it any less so because you didn't walk into a store and take something out the door without paying for it.

Yes it is theft. But one guy watching an illegal stream has far less potential for any serious injury than one guy speeding in his Escalade.

And that’s what we’re talking about here. I never asked how to run an illegal stream that thousands might watch; I just asked how to be one more guy watching something that (like it or not) is already there.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 06:43:18 PM by GooooMarquette »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2019, 06:49:17 PM »
Heard round these parts that there isnt anything wrong with bypassing the newspaper paywall, how is this different ?  Aina.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2019, 06:58:51 PM »
The classic, "no one is getting hurt"....except some are.  Not all damage is physical, there are economic damages to people, the vast vast vast vast majority of them middle class.  Revenues down, jobs are cut.  Pretty simple.

Your concern over this topic is how it impacts the middle class?

I can think of dozens of other actions that you should prioritize

HansMoleman

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2019, 07:20:13 PM »
Sorry, you're right.

Speeding and running stop signs can actually kill people. Watching an illegal stream can't. My bad.
Your response should have been, "Yeah it's illegal, but I don't give a s*&#."

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2019, 07:31:32 PM »
Your response should have been, "Yeah it's illegal, but I don't give a s*&#."

Coulda been, but it’s sad when someone downplays a legitimate safety issue while ranting on and on about dollars and cents.

And as jesmu points out, it’s pretty ironic that cheeky uses “let's protect the middle class” to make his argument.  ::)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2019, 07:46:51 PM »
Yes it is theft. But one guy watching an illegal stream has far less potential for any serious injury than one guy speeding in his Escalade.

And that’s what we’re talking about here. I never asked how to run an illegal stream that thousands might watch; I just asked how to be one more guy watching something that (like it or not) is already there.

Justify theft, that's cool.  Well, it took 20 posts, but you finally admitted what it is.  And no, still no evidence of coll......but I'm sure you were excited Thursday until Friday the press was rebuked.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2019, 07:49:42 PM »
Your concern over this topic is how it impacts the middle class?

I can think of dozens of other actions that you should prioritize

I can too, feel free to start some threads that are relevant?  You see, this and other threads was about ways to stream stuff that costs
 real people money, real organizations, etc, but to get it for free.  If you wish to start other treads where we can touch on those other prioritizations, by all means do so.   

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2019, 08:17:20 PM »
Let me explain how this works since I've gone through it so many years.

<fill in your sports or other channel> will come to Comcast, DISH, YouTubeTV, PS Vue, Hulu, AT&T, etc, etc at the next renewal.  They will ask for more money.  Those distributors will say "wait, subscribers are done, even on paid over the top services where cord cutters go", no more money. In fact, less money because your channel is worth less than ever before.

Channel will say, but that's because some people are pirating our channel.

Not our problem, we aren't going to keep paying higher prices for a channel that you are letting others watch at no cost and watch our customers carry the freight.  Why should our customers be penalized?  Enforce it, watermark it to catch those that are stealing it as others have done, and get serious.

That's why it ultimately should matter to a MU, the Big East, and why people should give a crap.  ESPECIALLY for a conference like the Big East, where the contract matters so much.  We aren't MUST have content where this stuff can slide, there's a reason we are on a network like CBS SN from time to time.  Channels will bid based on value they can get, but if that value continues to be eroded, then they either pay less or abandon alltogther.

As this continues, those conversations intensify between channels and those that deliver it. Already one channel is almost gone as a result, will see if they can hang on for another year but I doubt it...death spiral.  A second is in major trouble.  That's why it matters.  If people aren't going to pay for stuff that costs money, that's a problem.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2019, 08:31:10 PM »
Let me explain how this works since I've gone through it so many years.

<fill in your sports or other channel> will come to Comcast, DISH, YouTubeTV, PS Vue, Hulu, AT&T, etc, etc at the next renewal.  They will ask for more money.  Those distributors will say "wait, subscribers are done, even on paid over the top services where cord cutters go", no more money. In fact, less money because your channel is worth less than ever before.

Channel will say, but that's because some people are pirating our channel.

Not our problem, we aren't going to keep paying higher prices for a channel that you are letting others watch at no cost and watch our customers carry the freight.  Why should our customers be penalized?  Enforce it, watermark it to catch those that are stealing it as others have done, and get serious.

That's why it ultimately should matter to a MU, the Big East, and why people should give a crap.  ESPECIALLY for a conference like the Big East, where the contract matters so much.  We aren't MUST have content where this stuff can slide, there's a reason we are on a network like CBS SN from time to time.  Channels will bid based on value they can get, but if that value continues to be eroded, then they either pay less or abandon alltogther.

As this continues, those conversations intensify between channels and those that deliver it. Already one channel is almost gone as a result, will see if they can hang on for another year but I doubt it...death spiral.  A second is in major trouble.  That's why it matters.  If people aren't going to pay for stuff that costs money, that's a problem.

We all UNDERSTAND it, cheeky. It’s just that your concern for a dollars and cents issue over a legitimate safety issue is so seriously messed up.

You want a reason not to speed? Look at research by UC- Berkeley.

A study presented at the University of California at Berkeley last year found that for every 1 percent increase in speed, a driver’s chance of an accident increases by 2 percent, the chance of serious injury increases by 3 percent, and the chance of a fatality increases by about 4 percent.

https://www.automotive-fleet.com/driver-care/239354/driver-care-how-speeding-affects-accident-impact

So yeah, your speeding is every bit as big a deal, and more.

HansMoleman

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2019, 08:40:27 PM »
We all UNDERSTAND it, cheeky. It’s just that your concern for a dollars and cents issue over a legitimate safety issue is so seriously messed up.

You want a reason not to speed? Look at research by UC- Berkeley.

A study presented at the University of California at Berkeley last year found that for every 1 percent increase in speed, a driver’s chance of an accident increases by 2 percent, the chance of serious injury increases by 3 percent, and the chance of a fatality increases by about 4 percent.

https://www.automotive-fleet.com/driver-care/239354/driver-care-how-speeding-affects-accident-impact

So yeah, your speeding is every bit as big a deal, and more.

All that aside, you cool with stealing programming?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2019, 09:04:57 PM »
All that aside, you cool with stealing programming?

Yes. But for context, I pay for 99.9% of what I watch. In the past year, I have watched one MU game on a pirated stream. Nothing else. Yes, that one game was illegal, but far less concerning than the speeding and rolling stops that virtually everyone in America does. And that doesn’t even begin to touch the texting and driving that I see every single day.

To complete the context - Do I speed or do rolling stops? Yes, but more often I am the guy getting passed. And I never text or make calls while driving.

So yeah - I occasionally do something “bad.” But compared to most peoples’ speeding and especially calling and texting while driving, I’m practically a freakin angel.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 09:06:58 PM by GooooMarquette »

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2019, 11:10:23 PM »
Yes. But for context, I pay for 99.9% of what I watch. In the past year, I have watched one MU game on a pirated stream. Nothing else. Yes, that one game was illegal, but far less concerning than the speeding and rolling stops that virtually everyone in America does. And that doesn’t even begin to touch the texting and driving that I see every single day.

To complete the context - Do I speed or do rolling stops? Yes, but more often I am the guy getting passed. And I never text or make calls while driving.

So yeah - I occasionally do something “bad.” But compared to most peoples’ speeding and especially calling and texting while driving, I’m practically a freakin angel.

I'm sure your canonization ceremony is all in order. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2019, 11:45:06 PM »
I'm sure your canonization ceremony is all in order.

Hardly. Just a guy who generally tries to do the right thing, but isn't perfect. If that gets me canonized, the world is in more trouble than I thought....

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2019, 09:19:15 AM »
There was an international study done that found piracy of streaming does not actually take any meaningful amount of money away from distributers. They found that they were just using said argument to increase prices.

I'll continually "illegally" stream anything that doesn't have a reasonable way to watch it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2019, 09:29:40 AM »
Snuck outside candy into a movie theater.  Not feeling that bad.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2019, 09:38:14 AM »
There was an international study done that found piracy of streaming does not actually take any meaningful amount of money away from distributers. They found that they were just using said argument to increase prices.

I'll continually "illegally" stream anything that doesn't have a reasonable way to watch it.

A few years ago that was true, no longer the case which is why the pushback is occurring.  I used to go to meetings where people would say it was so great, it is exposure and we are in growth mode.  I would say to them, tell me that story in a few years and I’ll bet you change your tune when you are on the hook for paying actors, leagues, etc.  That day has arrived. 

With most OTT services losing money simply to grab scale, the financial people are saying enough as are the downstream entities that need the money to operate.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/19/millennials-are-going-to-extreme-lengths-to-share-streaming-passwords-.html

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/synamedia-launches-credentials-sharing-insight---turns-casual-password-sharing-into-incremental-revenues-for-service-providers-300767316.html

https://www.rapidtvnews.com/2018122054561/credential-sharing-costing-video-providers-millions-in-lost-revenue.html#axzz5dFzHm9kt

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2019, 01:07:45 PM »
Snuck outside candy into a movie theater.  Not feeling that bad.

was there a sign specifying that you cannot bring anything to eat or drink into theater?  i haven't been to a movie in a theater in 25-30 years.  i know golf course specifically say NO CARRY ONS
don't...don't don't don't don't

tower912

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2019, 02:04:10 PM »
No alcohol carry ons.   It is a state law here that any alcohol consumed on a golf course must be purchased on a golf course.    Water bottles and protein bars are perfectly allowable.    And yes, the movie theater had a sign prohibiting carrying in food.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2019, 02:07:29 PM »
No shoes
No shirts
No service

Due dey inforce dis chit, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

reinko

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2019, 02:36:01 PM »
Legitimate q, is it “illegal” is to consume pirated streams on sites like reddit?  May be unethical, and perpetuates those who do the actual streaming, bc they get clicks on ad revenue, and may be a rule buried in your ISP contract...

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2019, 05:29:11 PM »

No alcohol carry ons.   It is a state law here that any alcohol consumed on a golf course must be purchased on a golf course.    Water bottles and protein bars are perfectly allowable.    And yes, the movie theater had a sign prohibiting carrying in food.

That made it against the movie theater's rules, but I seriously doubt it was illegal.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2019, 09:38:49 PM »
Legitimate q, is it “illegal” is to consume pirated streams on sites like reddit?  May be unethical, and perpetuates those who do the actual streaming, bc they get clicks on ad revenue, and may be a rule buried in your ISP contract...

Yes

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2019, 05:40:05 AM »
Yes

What if we need the stream to feed our starving family?

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2019, 05:50:32 AM »
On a more serious note, it’s disappointing the Big East has no legit way to watch overseas. I’d happily pay $10-15/month for a real high quality stream, but the ESPN Player is the only option and it doesn’t carry our stuff.

NWarsh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2019, 10:42:11 AM »
On a more serious note, it’s disappointing the Big East has no legit way to watch overseas. I’d happily pay $10-15/month for a real high quality stream, but the ESPN Player is the only option and it doesn’t carry our stuff.

This makes you the scum of humanity for stealing when there are no other options to relax and watch your favorite college basketball team

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2019, 11:39:11 AM »
This makes you the scum of humanity for stealing when there are no other options to relax and watch your favorite college basketball team

tower912

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2019, 11:57:55 AM »
Go peel some tags off of some mattresses.   

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2019, 12:49:08 PM »
Go peel some tags off of some mattresses.

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

feedback