Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Not surprised  (Read 9617 times)

Not A Serious Person

• All American
Re: Not surprised
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2019, 11:08:39 AM »
Lotsa Scoopers clamor for Wojo to sign 5-stars. What do they think most 5-stars like Markus (who might have been a 5-star if he hadn't reclassified and certainly plays like a 5-star now) and Henry do? They dominate the basketball. They didn't become 5-stars by setting screens and handing the ball to teammates. That's what Heldt and Derrick Wilson are for. You want a 5-star, you have to expect him to play like a 5-star.

Markus is who he is. A ball-dominant, shoot-first PG. When he is in a zone, he is going to keep firing -- and thank goodness.

Good post

I'll add by asking if anyone can name a first-team AA because of floor burns, boxing out and picks.

You want a first team AA ... this is what they look like.

Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2019, 11:20:47 AM »
So, just for clarification, are a few of y'all saying we're a better team without Markus?

I think we can likely go further this year if the ‘others’ have a chance to carry the load.  We become much more dangerous if we have 2-3 guys creating shots late in the season.  That way one guy doesn’t have to be perfect.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2019, 11:25:00 AM »
Regular, balanced scoring is good for this team.  We need Markus, Sam and Joey all. hitting shots in a game.  With Sacar, Theo, Morrow, Bailey etc doing their thing.   Then we will be pretty unstoppable. 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 11:43:36 AM by Daniel »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2019, 11:26:47 AM »
I think we can likely go further this year if the ‘others’ have a chance to carry the load.  We become much more dangerous if we have 2-3 guys creating shots late in the season.  That way one guy doesn’t have to be perfect.

Well, that's easy to agree with, and I'm glad you feel that way.

Court vision a la Steve Nash or Magic Johnson is not Markus' strength, so one of the sacrifices our team might have to make some nights is that others won't get as involved -- especially if Markus is in his zone.

If this team is going to be at its very best in March, Markus has to recognize when he's not having a zone-a-riffic night and do his PG duties of getting others more involved. We'll see if he can.

It's also up to the other guys some. Sam, especially, has to be more assertive.

But as interesting and satisfying as last night's game was, nobody should be lulled into thinking that we are somehow better without Markus.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2019, 11:47:51 AM »
Last nights win was awesome.  Winning without Markus was huge and I think it will only help the team going forward.  But let's not pretend it was some portent of things to come.
5 players scored.
Sam assumed the role of good Markus.
Joey assumed Sam's normal role, but with more turnovers.
Theo and Matt combined to give usual Theo and Ed numbers.
Bailey was the revelation, taking on Joey's  normal role.   He is the only one that really showed more than we had seen before.
Sacar was Sacar.

MU won a conference road game without Markus.   To be celebrated.   But don t think MU is better without him.  MU beat the likely basement dweller.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

DarkWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2019, 12:09:06 PM »
What occurs to me is that team has great parts. The sum of the parts is not yet optimized but is progressing. We have the raw talent to be a truly special team. Those players can and will continue to grow. I believe Markus is a young man of great character and intelligence, he will learn that when he is getting shut down, his best shot should go to Sam for a 3, Sacar for the drive or Theo for the dunk. I am certain WOJO is aggressively working towards those ends. The best part is this is the most entertaining and relevant that MU Basketball has been in a long time!

MU Special talent

Markus Howard - Elite Scorer at times unstoppable
Sam Hauser - NBA level talent
Joey hauser - NBA level talent brewing (FRESHMAN)
Theo John - Becoming a beast, leads in blocks, looks awesome on posters! (SOPHMORE!)
Sacar Anim - better every day - He's the guy that can break down a defense when the defense thinks they have us stymied!
Brendan Bailey - Crazy big upside - He is just relearning how to play at full speed!

The Others - Very good bench, a little worried whether JC can play at the same level the rest can.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2019, 12:15:20 PM »
I actually thought many times during the game how it was good for Howard to see just how solid the team around him can be when they play together.  Hopefully that leads to some better shot selection by him although I am also amazed how often he takes questionable shots and makes them.  No one is perfect. 

Also noticed that there were times when our shortest player out there was 6-5 (Anim).  Our length was seriously disruptive to G'Town and made a huge difference defensively.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2019, 12:20:16 PM »
I know when I'm annoyed with a coworker for taking on and often completing more tasks than me and I successfully complete several tasks in his/her absence, the first thing I do after my successful task is it to run right too them and give them a (gentle) hug.  That demonstrates how annoyed I was with them.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2019, 12:56:14 PM »
One thing I noticed about last nights game was the good job Sacar did at bringing the ball up and initiating the offense.  It seemed to me that most of our runs occurred with Sacar as PG.  Sam did ok as the PG but didn't seem nearly as comfortable with the token pressure (and GT could/should have put on much stronger pressure given our situation) as Sacar.  We've been looking for a way to let Markus play more off the ball, to some degree "rest while in the game" and rotate in more forwards.  Sacar at the point might be the answer (it certainly isn't going to be Joe C).  i realize Sacar didn't have a particularly good game shooting but if Markus is on the court he probably wouldn't take as many of those shots.  I've was  critical of Sacar's offensive game in the Non Con, wondering when this 4th year player was going to start playing like an upper classman.  The last few games Sacar has done just that and last night he added another aspect by the way he handled the point.
I feel as many on the board that WINNING last night may be a real step forward for this team and make it easier for others to step forward when Markus is having an off night or the other team is chasing him with 2 guys all over the court.
It was GT and beating GT without Markus is different than beating Nova or a tournament team but we may have expanded our horizons.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2019, 01:22:48 PM »
I stand by what I said earlier. Everyone now respects Markus. Everyone now agrees we are a better team with Markus. But there are many who don't enjoy how we play with Markus.

Fortunately we all agree that the winning is more important than the play style it takes to get us to a win!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2019, 01:28:22 PM »
One thing I noticed about last nights game was the good job Sacar did at bringing the ball up and initiating the offense.  It seemed to me that most of our runs occurred with Sacar as PG.  Sam did ok as the PG but didn't seem nearly as comfortable with the token pressure (and GT could/should have put on much stronger pressure given our situation) as Sacar.  We've been looking for a way to let Markus play more off the ball, to some degree "rest while in the game" and rotate in more forwards.  Sacar at the point might be the answer (it certainly isn't going to be Joe C).  i realize Sacar didn't have a particularly good game shooting but if Markus is on the court he probably wouldn't take as many of those shots.  I've was  critical of Sacar's offensive game in the Non Con, wondering when this 4th year player was going to start playing like an upper classman.  The last few games Sacar has done just that and last night he added another aspect by the way he handled the point.
I feel as many on the board that WINNING last night may be a real step forward for this team and make it easier for others to step forward when Markus is having an off night or the other team is chasing him with 2 guys all over the court.
It was GT and beating GT without Markus is different than beating Nova or a tournament team but we may have expanded our horizons.

I'm trying to think way back to Sacar's Frosh year.  Did he play a little point?  Limited minutes of course.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2019, 01:30:57 PM »
I'm trying to think way back to Sacar's Frosh year.  Did he play a little point?  Limited minutes of course.

He played more PF than PG that year.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2019, 01:34:22 PM »
He played more PF than PG that year.

I remember him in the #4 for sure.  Did he play some #1 though?

burger

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2019, 01:38:17 PM »
If Howard ever develops court vision......

He will be a Top 10 pick in the draft......

PistolPete

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2019, 01:39:59 PM »
Wojo has tacitly addressed this.  Paraphrasing.. we have a thick playbook.  But when Markus gets that look in his eye, we throw out the playbook.   

In his post game address to the team, Wojo said 'just because someone says something, doesn't mean you have to believe it', which I inferred to be that we can't win without Markus.

Last night, they proved it. I wish Markus hadn't gone down and expect him back by Sunday. With that said, I think last night could be a huge blessing in disguise. I'm absolutely in favor of a more balanced attack. We all know (and saw last night) what our supporting cast is capable of.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2019, 01:53:14 PM »
Last nights win was awesome.  Winning without Markus was huge and I think it will only help the team going forward.  But let's not pretend it was some portent of things to come.
5 players scored.
Bailey was the revelation, taking on Joey's  normal role.   He is the only one that really showed more than we had seen before.
Sacar was Sacar.

MU won a conference road game without Markus.   To be celebrated.   But don t think MU is better without him.  MU beat the likely basement dweller.

Agree with this. All road wins are good wins. With Markus and Ed out I thought we were in trouble. Really nice win by the team.
Matt played 10 minutes and had 3 rebounds and 0 points. When Ed comes back it is back to the bench for him. JC played 11 minutes and had 0 points. He looks like the BE is just too much for him.  Cain, well he is just struggling.

Bailey was great off the bench. Hopefully this gives him a big confidence boost going forward. Hard not to feel good overall after this game. As long as Markus does not have a significant issue we are going to be real good.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2019, 02:03:13 PM »
In his post game address to the team, Wojo said 'just because someone says something, doesn't mean you have to believe it', which I inferred to be that we can't win without Markus.

Last night, they proved it. I wish Markus hadn't gone down and expect him back by Sunday. With that said, I think last night could be a huge blessing in disguise. I'm absolutely in favor of a more balanced attack. We all know (and saw last night) what our supporting cast is capable of.

I believe that was in reference to “the strength of our Team is our Team” comment that he said was a bit of a motto the first day of practice. Just because you say it doesn’t mean you believe. I believe his point was last night they proved that to be true.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2019, 02:18:03 PM »
If they shut Markus down and he still dominates the ball, MU is probably gonna lose.

Yup, that's the difference.  We aren't a better team without Markus.  But are we a better team with less Markus....maybe?  All comes down to the volume shooting he does.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2019, 02:47:20 PM »
5 players scored.
Sacar was Sacar.

My only disagreement is Gtown getting last.

Could be wrong, but don’t see it.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

tower912

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2019, 02:48:32 PM »
My only disagreement is Gtown getting last.

Could be wrong, but don’t see it.
OK.   Ninth. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2019, 03:25:23 PM »
I remember him in the #4 for sure.  Did he play some #1 though?

Not that I can recall.  Cheatham, Carter, maybe Duane Wilson a bit.

NWarsh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2019, 03:32:33 PM »
Yup, that's the difference.  We aren't a better team without Markus.  But are we a better team with less Markus....maybe?  All comes down to the volume shooting he does.

No we are not a better team with less Markus.  And I also do not believe that Markus "learned" anything from last night.  He already knows how good his teammates are, and nothing from last night will (and should not) change how he plays the game.  While he does not have the vision of a NBA PG yet I think it is not as bad as people suggest.  A lot of it might have to do with his size and not being able to actually get the pass to the open player if they are cross court; especially on PNR where a guy with length switches onto him.  To me, outside of his skill set, what makes him the most dynamic scorer in the country is his mentality to keep shooting and his aggressiveness.

I am going to state this before I move forward, I AM IN NO WAY SAYING MARKUS IS AS GOOD AS STEPH. Ok, with that done, Markus is the closest thing to Steph in the college game.

Curry's career metrics vs Markus so far this year, can you guess who is who?

Player A: PER 27.5, TS% .613, 3PAr .525, 3P% .440 Ast% 30.0, Tov% 15.0, Usg% 35.9
Player B: PER 23.9, TS% .624, 3PAr .471, 3P% .438 Ast% 32.0, Tov% 14.4, Usg% 27.8

The numbers are fairly similar with player A being a higher usage player who turns it over a little more (probably because of the higher usage) and shoots the 3 ball a little more often.  The point is that when you have a player who can shoot like either one of those guys you take the good with the bad. On those rare off nights it is the responsibility of the coach to work out how to utilize those players effectively enough to get the win.  All I know is I can think of at least 3 games we do not win without Markus being who he is, but cannot think of a game we end up winning because we had a little less Markus.

Great gutsy win last night and I hope that it gives Sam the confidence he needs to be more aggressive and assertive when Markus gets back.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2019, 03:35:10 PM »
I remember Majerus talking about Earl Tatum as a frosh.

They were running some simple motion sets and Earl was to pass the ball to the left, then go to the right to screen.  They ran this a few times and Earl looked confused.   Coaches asked if he understood the play.   Earl said "If I pass to the left, then go to the right side, how am I supposed to get the ball back?"

Earl, the offense is not designed to make sure you get the ball back.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2019, 05:41:58 PM »
OK.   Ninth.

Would bet they finish higher than that too, but they'll be playing first day in the BET

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2019, 05:47:27 PM »
Lotsa Scoopers clamor for Wojo to sign 5-stars. What do they think most 5-stars like Markus (who might have been a 5-star if he hadn't reclassified and certainly plays like a 5-star now) and Henry do? They dominate the basketball. They didn't become 5-stars by setting screens and handing the ball to teammates. That's what Heldt and Derrick Wilson are for. You want a 5-star, you have to expect him to play like a 5-star.

Markus is who he is. A ball-dominant, shoot-first PG. When he is in a zone, he is going to keep firing -- and thank goodness.

Very true, which is why some of us also would be ok with 3's and 4's for that very reason.  It's hard not to want the shiny object that is so good, but as I said during the HE days, it ends up being guys standing around watching.  It's a tough situation for a coach to figure out.  The conventional wisdom is you have to take those guys, but there are some coaches that just don't want to play in that space and they do great.  Mark Few for many years didn't bother and said it wouldn't fit for them.  If you can keep the classes balanced, in the long run I believe that is better, but in the short run you may give up the moonshot hope that someone carries you to the promised land.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

feedback