[Today at 08:02:41 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[April 19, 2024, 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: More Impressive Win ... Creighton or Georgetown?  (Read 4663 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: More Impressive Win ... Creighton or Georgetown?
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2019, 10:59:53 PM »
This is like asking me which is my favorite kid.

(Psst ... don't tell my daughter, but it's my son!)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2019, 11:02:48 PM »
This is like asking me which is my favorite kid.

(Psst ... don't tell my daughter, but it's my son!)

Only if my daughter had dropped out of college, was working at Mcdonalds, then accidentally had something fall into her lap that launched her on a path to success. Vs: My son who was doing great, and along came an unfortunate injury that set him back years but overcame all of it to be successful

Thats my take on Creighton Vs Georgetown

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2019, 11:06:49 PM »
Gimmme Creighton. But tonight was gritty AF.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2019, 11:14:32 PM »
Georgetown. Creighton wasn't impressive to me.  Having to hit crazy bad shots, then only winning because a team had a complete meltdown isn't impressive. Beating a team while your leading scorer and main ball handler plays 2 minutes? Digging deep and having two players who never run point have to do it for 90% of the game, away? Now thats an impressive win.

My answer is Creighton. That game also had more luck involved, but it was against a better opponent in a tougher arena and was one of the best games of the season.

Wasn’t impressive to you seems like an interesting statement. 53 points isn’t impressive? 73 but the entire team tonight is more impressive than 53 by a single cat? I know we are becoming spoiled by Markus but cmon

Tonight was awesome, impressive and extremely gritty but it is getting more credit because it was in a way we haven’t seen and by guys we haven’t seen.

I’d even argue that sams buzzer tying three at Creighton is the single play that turned his season around and we saw how important that can be tonight

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2019, 11:17:52 PM »
I will hold onto the elation of Creighton longer, but this win was more fulfilling

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2019, 11:19:50 PM »
wades, I'm disappointed in both of us for trying to argue with dopiness personified.
Dopiness is having a different opinion? I think the win is impressive but not especially impressive and you think it's very impressive?? K?? Grow up. What's up your ass

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2019, 11:22:27 PM »
One was a win thanks to a guy who scored 53 and another guy who hit an improbable buzzer-beater (but otherwise didn't have a great game).

The other was a win with 0 points from the guy who had 53 last week and 31 from last week's buzzer-beater guy.

Loved 'em both!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2019, 11:23:26 PM »

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2019, 11:25:48 PM »
Maybe I am just overly confident In this team that some wins are just "expected". Damn idk. My.bad :(

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2019, 11:28:21 PM »
Woah let's slow down there cowboy. First who said Howard's 53 points wasn't impressive. I said that winning against Creighton via a complete meltdown of coaching and players letting off the gas combined with a ridiculous performance that was just as likely to end in a 2 for 15 or 5 of 29 performance is not as impressive as buckling down against 2 major players being hurt for the entire game and playing solid team basketball.

I’d even argue that sams buzzer tying three at Creighton is the single play that turned his season around and we saw how important that can be tonight

Sam was having a bad season? What? Maybe his offense was down a bit but he also has a lot more options then last year that he defers to. His defense and spacing have been very important to the team and he's been excelling, hardly saying that one shot turned his season around.

And even if it were true that he is having a bad season  I think it's a bit early to say "that shot turned his season around" one game after he hit said shot.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2019, 11:50:50 PM »
Creighton was the most amazing win in Marquette (and maybe college basketball) history. Has a team ever won a game down 3 with .8 seconds left and the opponents in possession of the ball? I've certainly never seen it. A perfect storm - dumb play by Creighton, great shot by Sam and maybe an extra half second from the ref/timekeeper - gave us a chance and we came through in OT. But lady luck was wearing Warrior blue and gold in Omaha. Not tonight. Tonight luck and circumstances conspired against us - but in spite of that Wojo and the boys prevailed. I'll take tonight's win every time. IMO the most important victory of the Wojo era. Great game, guys!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/virginia-stuns-louisville-with-five-points-in-final-09-seconds-for-67-66-win/2018/03/01/49b5f7e0-1d7b-11e8-ae5a-16e60e4605f3_story.html?utm_term=.225499800c48
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2019, 11:52:47 PM »
Creighton was the most amazing win in Marquette (and maybe college basketball) history. Has a team ever won a game down 3 with .8 seconds left and the opponents in possession of the ball? I've certainly never seen it. A perfect storm - dumb play by Creighton, great shot by Sam and maybe an extra half second from the ref/timekeeper - gave us a chance and we came through in OT. But lady luck was wearing Warrior blue and gold in Omaha. Not tonight. Tonight luck and circumstances conspired against us - but in spite of that Wojo and the boys prevailed. I'll take tonight's win every time. IMO the most important victory of the Wojo era. Great game, guys!

All very reasonable, Lenny.

What I like is that we get to keep updating "the most important victory of the Wojo era"!! I hope there's another dozen of 'em this season ... or more!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2019, 11:54:51 PM »
Easy for me.

Creighton, one of the most impressive individual performances I have ever seen (not to mention the crazy buzzer beater)

Georgetown, the more impressive of the two wins. Overcoming an injury to an All American in the first three minutes, it takes some steel ones to pull off that kind of win.
TAMU

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2019, 03:49:56 AM »

Lenny:

It was 5 points in the last second of the game as we scored to stop the clock at .8.

Also, as I’ve noted before, the only time the game was tied in regulation was 0-0 and when the clock read 0:00.00.

So MU won a game that the never led or tied in all 40 minutes of regulation. This game is a brain twisting riddle ... how do you win a college basketball game that you never led or tied in all 40 minutes of regulation?

They also won it by scoring 5 points in the final second of the game to tie with 0:00.00 on the clock.  What is the record number of points scored in the final second of a game? We just saw 5.  Is that it?

How many times in the history of college basketball have both of the above statements been true at the same time?

And all of the above is before we get to the fact that someone scored 53 in the game!!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 04:03:44 AM by Rick Majerus' Towel »
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2019, 06:44:16 AM »
Creighton, something special about these Warriors

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2019, 08:17:53 AM »
So there was a game once that was ALMOST as amazing and unlikely as our win vs. Creighton. Almost.

So we are tied with them for 5 points in the last second of the game.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2019, 08:22:41 AM »
So we are tied with them for 5 points in the last second of the game.

Yep, but that tiebreaker is the extra .1 second we didn't have!
TAMU

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2019, 08:28:37 AM »
What both games show is mental toughness.

On the road, down by 2 with less than three minutes to go.  A crowd of 15,000 yelling "You Suck."  And you pull out a win.

This team has a name for this ... Tuesday!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2019, 09:03:55 AM »
Overcoming an injury to an All American in the first three minutes, it takes some steel ones to pull off that kind of win.

According to at least one Scooper, winning a road conference game despite having to play without a first-team All-American and your sixth man isn't the least bit impressive.