[Today at 09:58:46 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Viper
[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: More Impressive Win ... Creighton or Georgetown?  (Read 4632 times)

Not A Serious Person

• All American
More Impressive Win ... Creighton or Georgetown?
« on: January 15, 2019, 10:06:17 PM »
They were both great for entirely different reason.

But the game that might have more lasting effects is Georgetown.  Tonight they showed they are much more than MH and four guys standing around.

What say you?

Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
Re: More Impressive Win ... Creighton or Georgetown?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 10:06:58 PM »
Georgetown
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 10:07:15 PM »
Georgetown more impressive w/o Howard, but Creighton more amazing.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 10:07:58 PM »
Winning on the road, with out Markus or Morrow, is incredibly impressive.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 10:08:31 PM »
Not choosing.   Both magic in their own way. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 10:09:33 PM »
Neither were overly impressive. We have a great team here and expected to win both. That being said, GTown because everyone stepped up with no howard

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 10:10:37 PM »
Georgetown, loved the execution on both ends, played very disciplined and everyone did their job down the stretch.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 10:10:56 PM »
Neither were overly impressive. We have a great team here and expected to win both. That being said, GTown because everyone stepped up with no howard

::)

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 10:11:24 PM »
Creighton was more exciting.

Georgetown was more important.

Both were equally impressive.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 10:12:20 PM »
Yes

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 10:17:39 PM »
Georgetown. Maybe we shouldn’t have been surprised but we were. Great job all around.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 10:17:58 PM »

I was going to say something like, "Ask Duke how easy it is to win without your starting PG ... and ours is 20 ppg better" ... but why bother when dealing with a "fan" who could find the negative in a Final Four victory?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 10:23:57 PM »
I love this game because it shows what these guys can do.  It’s why the potential of this team is amazing if we can rely just a smudge less on MH...the talent is there.

Their confidence must be booming right now
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 10:31:20 PM »
I was going to say something like, "Ask Duke how easy it is to win without your starting PG ... and ours is 20 ppg better" ... but why bother when dealing with a "fan" who could find the negative in a Final Four victory?
Where did I "find the negative". They were good wins just not veey impressive when we have a better team. I get markus was down and it was a good win. I mean these are bubble tourney teams at best. Is it that impressive? Weird flex man

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2019, 10:34:16 PM »
Gtown, knowing we can win without Markus is a huge blessing.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2019, 10:36:50 PM »
Where did I "find the negative". They were good wins just not veey impressive when we have a better team. I get markus was down and it was a good win. I mean these are bubble tourney teams at best. Is it that impressive? Weird flex man

I don't think you do get it. People excuse the 08-09 team for losses due to losing James and he wasn't near the All American caliber that year that Howard is this year. Losing an AA level player and key rotation guy and still winning no matter who you are playing.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2019, 10:38:25 PM »
We were a1 1/2 point favorite with Howard expected to play and score somewhere between 26 and 50......

damn right this was an impressive win.

8 scholarship players...including  a few that can't be counted on......

Georgetown has plenty of talent......Govan is probably an NBA player....Mcclung played out of his mind....

And yet we still won on the road.......you're pathetic.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2019, 10:46:02 PM »

I don’t care how Georgetown’s season goes. We had Sacar Anim and Sam Hauser playing the point guard on the road in the Big East and it wasn’t very impressive? Get outta here.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2019, 10:47:18 PM »
Creighton was more exciting.

Georgetown was more important.

Both were equally impressive.

+1

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2019, 10:48:45 PM »
I don’t care how Georgetown’s season goes. We had Sacar Anim and Sam Hauser playing the point guard on the road in the Big East and it wasn’t very impressive? Get outta here.

wades, I'm disappointed in both of us for trying to argue with dopiness personified.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2019, 10:52:28 PM »
Tonight's win was huge from the standpoint of building confidence and a team ethic. So from that standpoint the Georgetown win was more impressive. The Creighton game was a very enjoyable college basketball game from a fan standpoint and thankfully we won .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2019, 10:52:35 PM »
Creighton was the most amazing win in Marquette (and maybe college basketball) history. Has a team ever won a game down 3 with .8 seconds left and the opponents in possession of the ball? I've certainly never seen it. A perfect storm - dumb play by Creighton, great shot by Sam and maybe an extra half second from the ref/timekeeper - gave us a chance and we came through in OT. But lady luck was wearing Warrior blue and gold in Omaha. Not tonight. Tonight luck and circumstances conspired against us - but in spite of that Wojo and the boys prevailed. I'll take tonight's win every time. IMO the most important victory of the Wojo era. Great game, guys!

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2019, 10:53:35 PM »
So so very different, equally enjoyable when they were over and equally important in the march to a possible BE title.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2019, 10:57:42 PM »
Georgetown. Creighton wasn't impressive to me.  Having to hit crazy bad shots, then only winning because a team had a complete meltdown isn't impressive. Beating a team while your leading scorer and main ball handler plays 2 minutes? Digging deep and having two players who never run point have to do it for 90% of the game, away? Now thats an impressive win.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2019, 10:58:25 PM »
I choose GT. It’s a question of adjectives. As others have said, amazing fits CR game better.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2019, 10:59:53 PM »
This is like asking me which is my favorite kid.

(Psst ... don't tell my daughter, but it's my son!)

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2019, 11:02:48 PM »
This is like asking me which is my favorite kid.

(Psst ... don't tell my daughter, but it's my son!)

Only if my daughter had dropped out of college, was working at Mcdonalds, then accidentally had something fall into her lap that launched her on a path to success. Vs: My son who was doing great, and along came an unfortunate injury that set him back years but overcame all of it to be successful

Thats my take on Creighton Vs Georgetown

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2019, 11:06:49 PM »
Gimmme Creighton. But tonight was gritty AF.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2019, 11:14:32 PM »
Georgetown. Creighton wasn't impressive to me.  Having to hit crazy bad shots, then only winning because a team had a complete meltdown isn't impressive. Beating a team while your leading scorer and main ball handler plays 2 minutes? Digging deep and having two players who never run point have to do it for 90% of the game, away? Now thats an impressive win.

My answer is Creighton. That game also had more luck involved, but it was against a better opponent in a tougher arena and was one of the best games of the season.

Wasn’t impressive to you seems like an interesting statement. 53 points isn’t impressive? 73 but the entire team tonight is more impressive than 53 by a single cat? I know we are becoming spoiled by Markus but cmon

Tonight was awesome, impressive and extremely gritty but it is getting more credit because it was in a way we haven’t seen and by guys we haven’t seen.

I’d even argue that sams buzzer tying three at Creighton is the single play that turned his season around and we saw how important that can be tonight

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2019, 11:17:52 PM »
I will hold onto the elation of Creighton longer, but this win was more fulfilling

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2019, 11:19:50 PM »
wades, I'm disappointed in both of us for trying to argue with dopiness personified.
Dopiness is having a different opinion? I think the win is impressive but not especially impressive and you think it's very impressive?? K?? Grow up. What's up your ass

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2019, 11:22:27 PM »
One was a win thanks to a guy who scored 53 and another guy who hit an improbable buzzer-beater (but otherwise didn't have a great game).

The other was a win with 0 points from the guy who had 53 last week and 31 from last week's buzzer-beater guy.

Loved 'em both!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2019, 11:23:26 PM »

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2019, 11:25:48 PM »
Maybe I am just overly confident In this team that some wins are just "expected". Damn idk. My.bad :(

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2019, 11:28:21 PM »
Woah let's slow down there cowboy. First who said Howard's 53 points wasn't impressive. I said that winning against Creighton via a complete meltdown of coaching and players letting off the gas combined with a ridiculous performance that was just as likely to end in a 2 for 15 or 5 of 29 performance is not as impressive as buckling down against 2 major players being hurt for the entire game and playing solid team basketball.

I’d even argue that sams buzzer tying three at Creighton is the single play that turned his season around and we saw how important that can be tonight

Sam was having a bad season? What? Maybe his offense was down a bit but he also has a lot more options then last year that he defers to. His defense and spacing have been very important to the team and he's been excelling, hardly saying that one shot turned his season around.

And even if it were true that he is having a bad season  I think it's a bit early to say "that shot turned his season around" one game after he hit said shot.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2019, 11:50:50 PM »
Creighton was the most amazing win in Marquette (and maybe college basketball) history. Has a team ever won a game down 3 with .8 seconds left and the opponents in possession of the ball? I've certainly never seen it. A perfect storm - dumb play by Creighton, great shot by Sam and maybe an extra half second from the ref/timekeeper - gave us a chance and we came through in OT. But lady luck was wearing Warrior blue and gold in Omaha. Not tonight. Tonight luck and circumstances conspired against us - but in spite of that Wojo and the boys prevailed. I'll take tonight's win every time. IMO the most important victory of the Wojo era. Great game, guys!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/virginia-stuns-louisville-with-five-points-in-final-09-seconds-for-67-66-win/2018/03/01/49b5f7e0-1d7b-11e8-ae5a-16e60e4605f3_story.html?utm_term=.225499800c48
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2019, 11:52:47 PM »

All very reasonable, Lenny.

What I like is that we get to keep updating "the most important victory of the Wojo era"!! I hope there's another dozen of 'em this season ... or more!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2019, 11:54:51 PM »
Easy for me.

Creighton, one of the most impressive individual performances I have ever seen (not to mention the crazy buzzer beater)

Georgetown, the more impressive of the two wins. Overcoming an injury to an All American in the first three minutes, it takes some steel ones to pull off that kind of win.
TAMU

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2019, 03:49:56 AM »

Lenny:

It was 5 points in the last second of the game as we scored to stop the clock at .8.

Also, as I’ve noted before, the only time the game was tied in regulation was 0-0 and when the clock read 0:00.00.

So MU won a game that the never led or tied in all 40 minutes of regulation. This game is a brain twisting riddle ... how do you win a college basketball game that you never led or tied in all 40 minutes of regulation?

They also won it by scoring 5 points in the final second of the game to tie with 0:00.00 on the clock.  What is the record number of points scored in the final second of a game? We just saw 5.  Is that it?

How many times in the history of college basketball have both of the above statements been true at the same time?

And all of the above is before we get to the fact that someone scored 53 in the game!!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 04:03:44 AM by Rick Majerus' Towel »

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2019, 06:44:16 AM »
Creighton, something special about these Warriors

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2019, 08:17:53 AM »
So there was a game once that was ALMOST as amazing and unlikely as our win vs. Creighton. Almost.

So we are tied with them for 5 points in the last second of the game.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2019, 08:22:41 AM »
So we are tied with them for 5 points in the last second of the game.

Yep, but that tiebreaker is the extra .1 second we didn't have!
TAMU

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2019, 08:28:37 AM »
What both games show is mental toughness.

On the road, down by 2 with less than three minutes to go.  A crowd of 15,000 yelling "You Suck."  And you pull out a win.

This team has a name for this ... Tuesday!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2019, 09:03:55 AM »
Overcoming an injury to an All American in the first three minutes, it takes some steel ones to pull off that kind of win.

According to at least one Scooper, winning a road conference game despite having to play without a first-team All-American and your sixth man isn't the least bit impressive.