Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: got to be kidding  (Read 3561 times)

Marquette65

• Starter
got to be kidding
« on: January 20, 2008, 04:12:28 PM »
who still thinks we are 4/5 seed .  at best we are NOW a 8/9.  very weak non-conf schedule along w/ getting killed on the road  is not looked w/ great favor by the selection comm.

jutaw22mu

• All American
Re: got to be kidding
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 04:18:10 PM »
Right now, you are probably right.  But if this team gets hot in the middle of February, that would be perfect timing for the tourney and seeding might not matter.  If this team gets hot we can beat anyone.  Right now we are cold.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 03:35:12 PM »
who still thinks we are 4/5 seed .  at best we are NOW a 8/9.  very weak non-conf schedule along w/ getting killed on the road  is not looked w/ great favor by the selection comm.

good thing we've got 2 months to go...

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 04:22:15 PM »

I think that you might be overreacting a little bit.  We do some damage in the be tourny and put on a good show for the rest of the conference play.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 04:26:10 PM »
Right now, you are probably right.  But if this team gets hot in the middle of February, that would be perfect timing for the tourney and seeding might not matter.  If this team gets hot we can beat anyone.  Right now we are cold.

Tom Crean's MU teams have improved as the eason went along only once.  Usually we wear down.  IF we can make the NCAAs we're looking at another one and done.  5 years and counting since our last NCAA win.  Good thing he's signed thru 2016, wouldn't want another school stealing him away.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 04:37:09 PM »

Tom Crean's MU teams have improved as the eason went along only once.  Usually we wear down.  IF we can make the NCAAs we're looking at another one and done.  5 years and counting since our last NCAA win.  Good thing he's signed thru 2016, wouldn't want another school stealing him away.

wow.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 04:46:30 PM »
Oy, same old same old. 

Go back to this page to see how people were responding after we lost our first 2 BE games last year.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?board=2.3680

Look familiar?  Things looked pretty bleak at that time - then we rattled off 8 wins in a row.  Yes, we (again) have some things to rectify this year, but we *can* do it.  The next few weeks will tells us whether that happens or not.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 05:57:59 PM »
Oy, same old same old. 

Go back to this page to see how people were responding after we lost our first 2 BE games last year.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?board=2.3680

Look familiar?  Things looked pretty bleak at that time - then we rattled off 8 wins in a row.  Yes, we (again) have some things to rectify this year, but we *can* do it.  The next few weeks will tells us whether that happens or not.

hahahah, good call rocky

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 06:01:21 PM »

Comments like these make me glad i dont come on here after losses

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 06:30:05 PM »

Comments like these make me glad i dont come on here after losses

Ditto. It's the same reason I won't be watching much ESPN for the next few days following the Packers' loss. Take a day (or three), get away from it, then post something meaningful/insightful.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 07:20:53 PM by IAmMarquette »

4everwarriors

• All American
On The Other Hand...
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 07:16:39 PM »
some posters still think we're going to the Final Four.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: On The Other Hand...
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 09:09:42 PM »

Really?  I'd like to see one that said we're going to the Final Four.  Sure, some said we "could" go to the Final Four...then again, I'll bet if you read posts by some folks after being blown out by Notre Dame, losing to East Carolina, etc in 2003 I'm sure many were saying the team sucked, yada yada yada.

It's the Big East...the days of Al and playing an Independent schedule are over.  This is reality.

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 10:07:50 PM »

still think not making the Elite 8 is a disappointing season, and Final 4 is a possibility.

newsflash- we are gonna lose alot of games with the big 3 playing the way they did the past two games. we are also gonna win alot of games if they play the way we expect them to play

the wonders of the 'what have you done for me lately' basketball fanatic are evident now more than ever

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 10:45:14 PM »
Call me crazy, but it almost feels like we have a better shot in the tourney than in the Big East. 

It's clear by now that the closest thing we have to a dominating post presence is when Trend is not in foul trouble.  That doesn't bode well for our success in this conference.  Neither does the fact that we are not a tough team.  At all.  We don't play "Big East" basketball as commonly defined by ESPN announcers.

However, what if a streaky team like ours gets hot at the right moment?  We've all seen it happen, versus Wisconsin and in Maui.  Danny Fitz knocks down a few 3s, Lazar is on his mid-range game, Jerel's taking care of the ball - this team can do it.

Even if pessimism rules the day and we pick up a 9-seed, you have to like our chances against teams like Duke that could be in the running for a 1.  We very nearly beat the same team on a neutral court just two months ago.

tomcrean4pres

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 10:53:01 PM »
I very much agree with you. The NCAA tourny is all about who is the hot team. If we get going at the right time we could be dangerous. however if we keep playing like we are currently (which i don't see happening)the only tourny we will be in is the NIT
***Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid. ***

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2008, 11:24:50 PM »

still think not making the Elite 8 is a disappointing season, and Final 4 is a possibility.

I'd say if we don't get through the first weekend the season would be disappointing. Elite 8 would have to be considered a very strong year.