[Today at 01:04:10 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

Did you turn off the game before Creighton messed up inbounds play?

Yes
53 (30.5%)
No
121 (69.5%)

Total Members Voted: 174

Author Topic: How Many of Us Turned it Off?  (Read 5866 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
How Many of Us Turned it Off?
« on: January 10, 2019, 02:22:10 PM »
I did. Saw 0.6 on the clock and said it was over. Took me probably 10 minutes to realize what had happened. Honestly curious how many others were right there with me.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
Re: How Many of Us Turned it Off?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 02:25:45 PM »
Bitter end kind of guy.  After all, it was just another road loss.   Oops.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 02:27:36 PM »
I didn’t but not in a “I’m a better fan” type of way. I was just sitting on the couch sulking a bit and just happened to catch it.

Can’t blame anyone who turned it off especially after the timeout. Had it happened at home I imagine only 10-15% of people would have seen it. I would have left.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 02:29:08 PM by AirPunch »

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 02:28:53 PM »
I did. Saw 0.6 on the clock and said it was over. Took me probably 10 minutes to realize what had happened. Honestly curious how many others were right there with me.

I mentioned this is another thread, but I DVR'd the game because I had a business meeting at 8.  I watched the first half live and watched the second half on DVR probably 20 minutes after.  I was within two minutes of being caught up and when we fell behind 85-80 so I fast forwarded the two minutes and noticed we were tied, so I rewound and watched the end.  So technically I didn't turn it off, but I really sorta gave up.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 02:36:59 PM »
I had recorded it and was watching on delay. I was avoiding my phone throughout so I didn't see any spoiler text messages...until we were down three with .8 seconds left. I didn't turn off the tv, but did glance at my phone figuring the game was over and saw a "great Marquette game!" text. Hmmmm, that could mean a lot of things, but once the long pass went out of bounds I certainly suspected insanity ensued. Sure enough! Kind of bummed I saw the text because it  stole a bit of the elation of having no idea of what was coming, but just a bit.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 02:40:56 PM »
TAMU

As I said in a different thread, one time I did not tune out. Testing my wife updates kept me attention and very happy it did. The boys got lucky, but nothing wrong with stealing a game every now and then. To me, this is like "Nova game two years ago. What they do in next few games will tell a lot about this team. They sure as hell better riding high and build off last night.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 02:41:01 PM »
Turned it off in disgust after Markus tried to drive and got rejected...around 8-9 seconds left.  Went out to walk the dogs, said goodnight to my son and then went upstairs to get ready for bed.  Looked to see what final score was and saw that the game had gone into OT.  Ran back downstairs and rewound the game to where I had shut it off and watched til the end.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 02:41:12 PM »
Down 5 after we missed a 3 I changed to the Bucks game. They were also down so I turned the TV off but hit refresh on the game chat just in time to see DUNKS post: SAM!!!!!

Then it was chaos and confusion. Thanks for the heads up DUNKS!
No Finish Line

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 02:41:29 PM »
Chick and I have walked out of games especially if it's a very late one.  Iowa comes to mind.  But we typically only do that if MU is down ugggee with several minutes to go.  I do think I stopped watching Indiana at some point and I don't set my life calendar to NEVER miss a game.  I didn't see Louisville this year as an example.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2019, 02:52:03 PM »
I told my wife that she could have the TV for whatever and said what a bummer it was they couldn't get over the hump. But we ended up watching what was supposed to be "to the bitter end." Both of us went nuts on the Hauser shot.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

GoldenEagle323

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 02:55:37 PM »
I missed the whole game so i turned it on right before creighton's inbound pass lol

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 02:56:04 PM »
I had to watch on my phone, so I closed the app in frustration once it hit .6. I got a bunch of texts and turned it on in time to see the review of Sam’s shot.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 03:01:13 PM »
I watch every single minute of every MU game, no matter how painful. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2019, 03:03:47 PM »
Thought about it.  But it felt like there was finally going to be a bounce back from a deficit that would push us over the top.  Didn't come until the very end.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2019, 03:04:26 PM »
watched it live, my group texts went dark as I was rapid fire sending heart attack-like reactions, almost everyone I know turned it off for the Creighton inbounds haha

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2019, 03:08:45 PM »
I watch every single minute of every MU game, no matter how painful.

I turned the Johnnies game off with two minutes to go.  My daughter immediately started crying.

Probably would have flipped this one off too, but couldn't reach with her in my arms.

Four months old and she's already a better MU fan than me.  (She also swears a lot less.)

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2019, 03:15:06 PM »
 I always wait till the bitter.  But this time, turned off at the .06 and with CU's ball, no way to win. Can't win on the road, announcers not real good, switched to the Sopranos.  Googled for the score then stared open mouth trying to figure out How.  Switched to ENPS got the answer, then read all the posts.  Will we ever see that again.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Ben Golds Five

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2019, 03:46:34 PM »
After Chartouney fumbled around trying to make that layup, and I saw how little time was left, I turned it off.  I always check the box scores post game so after a few minutes I went to ESPN and saw us up like 4 points.  I was like come on guys, update your crap.  I checked another site and saw the same thing and went "this can't be".  Got game back on with like 2:35 left.   ;D ;D ;D

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2019, 03:49:39 PM »
I'm a stay till the bitter end type of fan too.  Although I might leave a blowout loss game with a couple minutes left, I'll never turn off a 1 possession game.  I've seen too many crazy finishes to give up early on a close one.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2019, 03:50:55 PM »
I didn't turn it off, but when texting robmufan updates I told him the game was over when Creighton was in-bounding up 3 with 0.8 seconds left.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 03:53:24 PM by TallTitan34 »

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2019, 03:52:45 PM »
I turned it off in anger to put the kids to bed since I’d already kept them up late so that I could watch the game. Then I look at Twitter and see “Markus Howard with 11 straight points in OT” and immediately scrambled to figure out wtf happened.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2019, 04:04:53 PM »
I'm a stay till the bitter end type of fan too.  Although I might leave a blowout loss game with a couple minutes left, I'll never turn off a 1 possession game.  I've seen too many crazy finishes to give up early on a close one.

^ this

I recall a Duke-MD game years ago that Duke was down 10 with under a minute, Coach K had been ejected and I think it was Jay (Jason at the time) Williams scored 10 points in a flash to send it to OT
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 04:12:59 PM by Waldo Jeffers »

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2019, 04:16:26 PM »
I was watching the game on delay and was fast forwarding through a commercial break... went a bit too far and missed JC's missed layup/rebound/layup and the no touch inbound by Creighton.   It's only because of my error that I saw the .8 inbound for the tie... otherwise I can't say whether I would have turned it off or not!

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2019, 04:31:56 PM »
At the time, I sure was pretty pissed that CBS Sports Network ran the commercial too long and caused us to miss the first 20 seconds of overtime.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2019, 04:35:26 PM »
I learned when my family was very close to leaving the Illinois/Arizona Elite 8 game with 5 mins, Illini down 15 that you do not under any circumstance shut it off until it is 20 points with under a min left.

feedback