[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Sam's 3pt shot!  (Read 18917 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
Sam's 3pt shot!
« on: January 09, 2019, 09:58:44 PM »
I watched that play over and over and it looked like Sam did not get the shot off in time from that camera angle. Glad the refs called it a basket, but I could understand how the Jays could feel they got robbed however it was a close call either way.

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
Re: Sam's 3pt shot!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 10:01:44 PM »
Im thankful the camera quality / angle was fairly poor and inconclusive.   My guess is he was still touching with the middle finger but not enough to turn over the floor call

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 10:02:50 PM »
I watched that play over and over and it looked like Sam did not get the shot off in time from that camera angle. Glad the refs called it a basket, but I could understand how the Jays could feel they got robbed however it was a close call either way.
There was one camera frame that shows it just out of his hand before the board lit up.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 10:07:17 PM »
Closest buzzer call I’ve ever seen. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to say for sure either way, glad they called it good originally cause that call wasn’t gonna get reversed either way.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 10:11:24 PM »
I gotta say I agree. I was extremely pleasantly surprised we got that bucket. If it had been the other way -- our opponent had gotten credit for a made basket -- I think most of us would be pretty mad.

But I'm moving on, and have these 2 thoughts:

1. I hope Sam's game-tying 3 has the same effect on this season as Junior's tying 3 vs. UConn did back in 2013. We won that in OT and it gave us the momentum we would use to win the BEast title.

2. We absolutely stole a game we had no business winning. In that respect, reminds me of the NCAA tourney win vs. Davidson.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 10:16:55 PM »
Im thankful the camera quality / angle was fairly poor and inconclusive.   My guess is he was still touching with the middle finger but not enough to turn over the floor call

Are you really thankful though??

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 10:25:30 PM »
Are you really thankful though??

so are you doctor 5, doctor of the 5, the 5th cranial nerve doctor or a doc of lady parts...in any event, hard to lose anything here
don't...don't don't don't don't

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 10:35:25 PM »
There is absolutely no way someone can catch a ball at the top of their jump, come down from that jump to the ground, jump again and release a shot in .8 seconds. It's impossible. Timekeeper had to be a second slow. My head thinks Creighton was jobbed and feels a little sorry for them. My heart, however, is filled with joy. I've watched well over 1000 MU games and this game (down 3, .8 seconds left, the opponent with possession - are you kidding me?) was easily the most improbable win I've ever witnessed. Awesome!!!

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 10:42:08 PM »
There is absolutely no way someone can catch a ball at the top of their jump, come down from that jump to the ground, jump again and release a shot in .8 seconds. It's impossible. Timekeeper had to be a second slow. My head thinks Creighton was jobbed and feels a little sorry for them. My heart, however, is filled with joy. I've watched well over 1000 MU games and this game (down 3, .8 seconds left, the opponent with possession - are you kidding me?) was easily the most improbable win I've ever witnessed. Awesome!!!

Yep, and I think Wojo is 10-0 in OT games.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 10:43:58 PM »

Hard to disagree i watched the first replay and thought the same thing. And also thought it may have been late.  I paced tge floor for the next 5 minutes listening to the announcers say they didnt think it was good and refusing to watch the replays cuz i was afraid of what i thought i saw.  Ultimately i think it was soo close tgey couldnt take it away and maybe even subconsciencely the refs have to tip their cap on a play that close and give it to the kid. 
Falls into the special bowl of plays like those made by Lucas, whitehead, Doc, hutch, wardle, Novak, Cadougan, and now Sam.  Im prolly forgetting a few but those were some of the biggest.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 10:45:35 PM by Mr. Sand-Knit »
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 10:44:13 PM »
He didn't get it off. Caught a break. You can zoom in. Looks pretty definitive to me.

Oh well lol

https://twitter.com/__sindelar/status/1083219880105725952?s=19

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 10:45:20 PM »
I was shocked we had Markus inbounding the ball on that play?  Wonder what the thought was there?

MU Buff

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 10:46:03 PM »
Yep, and I think Wojo is 10-0 in OT games.

Lost to Georgetown and Butler in OT Wojo's first year. Since then you are correct, 10-0!

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2019, 10:47:41 PM »

Agree with this. There will probably be some new NCAA rule on this for next season.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2019, 10:49:38 PM »

Lost to Georgetown and Butler in OT Wojo's first year. Since then you are correct, 10-0!

Thanks, so 10-2 would be correct. Thanks again.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2019, 10:53:34 PM »
He didn't get it off. Caught a break. You can zoom in. Looks pretty definitive to me.

Oh well lol

https://twitter.com/__sindelar/status/1083219880105725952?s=19

As i said in my orevious post i saw the first replay and my stomach fell
I stopped watching and paced while officials reviewed n couldnt watch.  Now an hour later i have watched the replays and do not think he got it off. I think it was on his fingertips, blurry replay had to help.  Crazy!!  1 for the good guys!!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 11:00:22 PM by Mr. Sand-Knit »

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2019, 10:58:14 PM »
Sam's shot should not have been called good (attached).  I thought it was still on his finger tips - and it was.  This makes up for some of the other bad calls against us in the game.  Awesome game!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2019, 11:04:13 PM »
Yep

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2019, 11:08:21 PM »
This is one of the problems with the replay system. In some instances the replay is clearer than others, and I think our guys benefited from this one being a little fuzzy.

I somehow think the fact that all 3 refs definitively called it a good shot played into the ultimate decision.

Also curious to know why the one ref kept putting on the headphones. Was he talking to somebody in a central location?

I agree with Lenny that it's pretty close to impossible to do all that in .8 of a second. But I'll take it, baby! I was gonna say "It's better to be lucky than good," but it's best to be lucky AND good!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2019, 11:12:52 PM »
Sam's shot should not have been called good (attached).  I thought it was still on his finger tips - and it was.  This makes up for some of the other bad calls against us in the game.  Awesome game!

That is certainly not conclusive and it's impossible to tell if his fingers are still touching the ball from behind his hand.  The only angle that would tell you that is from directly to the side of Sam looking across the court.  You can't see the front of Sam's fingers, so there's really no way to tell if they're still touching the ball or if the ball is a millimeter out of his hand.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2019, 11:15:54 PM »
That is certainly not conclusive and it's impossible to tell if his fingers are still touching the ball from behind his hand.  The only angle that would tell you that is from directly to the side of Sam looking across the court.  You can't see the front of Sam's fingers, so there's really no way to tell if they're still touching the ball or if the ball is a millimeter out of his hand.

Yep. OTOH, I'm quite sure if they had called the shot no good on the court, the replay wouldn't have overturned it to give Sam the hoop. It was huge that all 3 of them called it good in live action.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2019, 11:17:28 PM »
I was shocked we had Markus inbounding the ball on that play?  Wonder what the thought was there?

Was just going to post the same thing. It all happened so fast and worked out but truly mind boggling to me why he would be inbounding. Had Sam missed the shot this would have been a major question to be asked.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2019, 11:18:47 PM »
I think the ball is definitely on his fingertips.  He hasn't fully flicked the wrist to release the ball.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2019, 11:19:43 PM »
Was just going to post the same thing. It all happened so fast and worked out but truly mind boggling to me why he would be inbounding. Had Sam missed the shot this would have been a major question to be asked.

I was a little surprised Markus was inbounding, but I wasn't at all surprised the pass went to Sam, nor would I have been surprised it went to Joey. You needed to throw it out there to a tall guy who could also hit a 3. MU only has 2 of those. Would have been much more difficult getting Markus open. But even then, maybe have JCS throw the inbound pass with Markus as a decoy.

But hey, it worked out, and it's a results business. Nice win for Wojo and our heroes.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 11:39:12 PM by MU82 »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2019, 11:20:53 PM »
I think the ball is definitely on his fingertips.  He hasn't fully flicked the wrist to release the ball.

If it's before he ever completes the motion of the shot then there would've been conclusive video evidence of it.  If the ball is still touching his hand (certainly possible), it's at the very, very last moment of his shot.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter