[Today at 03:29:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[Today at 03:28:48 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Mean Gene and Super Dave Osborne. RIP.....and Daryl Dragon, too  (Read 1843 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Mean Gene and Super Dave Osborne. RIP.....and Daryl Dragon, too
« on: January 02, 2019, 03:03:29 PM »
Mean Gene (WWF)
Bob Einstein (Super Dave Osborne), brother to Albert Brooks.  True story, his parents named him Albert Einstein, so he changed his last name to Brooks at age 19
Daryl Dragon (The Captain of Captain and Tenele)

All were 76 years old

2019 not off to a good start. 
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 09:51:36 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

CTWarrior

• All American
Re: Mean Gene and Super Dave Osborne. RIP.....and Daryl Dragon, too
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 07:14:02 AM »
Wow, rough start to the year for fun niche guys from the 70s and 80s, though Mean Gene and Super Dave stuck around for much longer.  Thanks for the tidbit about Albert Brooks.  I did not know that he was Super Dave's brother or that he was originally named Albert Einstein.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 09:39:09 AM »
Now Pegi Young too (ex wife of Neil).

J list celebrities dying like flys.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 03:58:34 PM »
Super Dave was phenomenal as Larry David’s cousin Marty Funkhouser On Curb Your Enthusiam. Every scene that he was in was hysterical.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 10:02:19 PM »
Mean Gene with the pad on Big Sandy.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 11:14:34 PM »
Super Dave was phenomenal as Larry David’s cousin Marty Funkhouser On Curb Your Enthusiam. Every scene that he was in was hysterical.

Type in Bob Weinstein want to hear a joke that he gave on stage while the Curb actors are on stage....classic.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 08:23:19 PM »
Bill Simmons podcast with Super was pretty dang great from last year.  For those that don't know, Einstein played college basketball at Chapman University, not far from my residence.  Small, liberal arts school.  He was a sports nut.

Some great jokes in here, especially for those that aren't squeamish about every little thing in life.  He addresses that very item, about humor or the lack of it in today's world.

Simmons said it was the hardest he ever laughed on his podcast, and have to admit there are some absolute gem moments. Starts at minute 33:30

https://www.theringer.com/2017/12/14/16775892/curb-your-gambling-talk-with-super-dave-osborne

« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 08:26:12 PM by Cheeks »

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 01:46:03 PM »
I remember him as officer Judy on the Smothers Brothers, but probably way before you all were born.  Comedy variety shows were popular back then, and Dick & Tommy Smothers among the best to ever do it.

Best scene is with him and brother Al, in Modern Romance.   Want happiness, get away from the box.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NormMacdonald/comments/acu31w/you_want_happiness_get_away_from_the_box_bob/

“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato