Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Exceeding Expectations  (Read 4009 times)

1SE

• All American
Exceeding Expectations
« on: December 21, 2018, 11:23:37 PM »
For the first time in the Wojo era (except, perhaps, for one night in late January 2017).

Feels great. Well done and I'm much more thrilled to be proved wrong than proved right. Absolutely fantastic that MUBB is nationally relevant again.

But in a Bayesian world, priors get updated. Now I expect 1st in BE and a FF run!
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

tower912

• All American
Re: Exceeding Expectations
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 12:17:57 AM »
Right on pace for my expectations.   22-24 regular season wins, top 3 in the Big East, 5 seed.     They could do a little better than that, sure.    But my big picture expectations did not change because MU lost a game at Assembly Hall and to #1 on a neutral floor. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 01:24:29 AM »
Right on pace for my expectations.   22-24 regular season wins, top 3 in the Big East, 5 seed.     They could do a little better than that, sure.    But my big picture expectations did not change because MU lost a game at Assembly Hall and to #1 on a neutral floor.

This was my response as well. So far we have won all the games I thought we would and lost all the ones I thought we would. This and Kansas State were definitely in a more resounding fashion than I expected...but I also expected the Louisville and Wisconsin wins to be bigger. I expected the Indiana loss to be closer and the Kansas loss to be further apart. So breaks out even? F it, who cares I'm enjoying it.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 01:30:58 AM »
This was my response as well. So far we have won all the games I thought we would and lost all the ones I thought we would. This and Kansas State were definitely in a more resounding fashion than I expected...but I also expected the Louisville and Wisconsin wins to be bigger. I expected the Indiana loss to be closer and the Kansas loss to be further apart. So breaks out even? F it, who cares I'm enjoying it.

+1

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 01:33:13 AM »

It just sucked losing the first two of the six non cupcake games. This team is rolling now though and it’s awesome. It’s been a while.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 01:39:37 AM »
Almost certainly we'll be going into conference as the highest ranked team. Will be interesting to see how the team handle's having the target on their back - a position MU hasn't been in for a while. I think this team is getting a nice swagger and could very easily step up to the challenge.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 01:45:25 AM »
Almost certainly we'll be going into conference as the highest ranked team. Will be interesting to see how the team handle's having the target on their back - a position MU hasn't been in for a while. I think this team is getting a nice swagger and could very easily step up to the challenge.

I love the way confidence is building for this group, especially for Theo. His improvement this year has been so much fun to watch. At this point, I'll concede a few more technicals if it keeps him fired up all year like he was tonight.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2018, 01:47:25 AM »
It just sucked losing the first two of the six non cupcake games. This team is rolling now though and it’s awesome. It’s been a while.

Yeah, it was a less than ideal schedule setup. Jay Bee had a good article on his site about it. @Indiana and Kansas were always the two toughest games of the non-conference (and looking at the Big East, maybe two toughest of the season). It puts your back against the wall to start 0-2 in meaningful games and needing to win at least 3/4 to have a successful non-conference. The boys got it done.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2018, 02:26:36 AM »
I love the way confidence is building for this group, especially for Theo. His improvement this year has been so much fun to watch. At this point, I'll concede a few more technicals if it keeps him fired up all year like he was tonight.
Heh, that technical was pretty awesome, actually :)
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2018, 06:52:21 AM »
Very happy to say the boys are far exceeding my preseason expectations. IMO, the effort is what impresses me the most. Hope the trend continues because winning sure is fun.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2018, 07:00:48 AM »

It's been fun to watch the team and coaching staff grow in this young season. The team that beat Buffalo last night is better than the team that got shellacked by Indiana. Defensive rotations are better, offensive patience is generally better, adjustments have been working, I'm really looking forward to conference play.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2018, 07:34:07 AM »
Very happy to say the boys are far exceeding my preseason expectations. IMO, the effort is what impresses me the most. Hope the trend continues because winning sure is fun.

+1. Maybe from a W/L record this team has only met expectations but their toughness (and therefore their potential) far exceed IMHO. Kudos to Wojo - he used Indiana and the 2nd half vs Kansas as a teaching moment and this group has really learned well.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2018, 08:05:26 AM »
Agreed...MU looked a bit soft in past years...last night they played tough against a physical team.  We beat them on the boards pretty well...and if you listened to pregame you heard Buffalo's coaching staff emphasize the need to beat us on the boards.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 08:08:25 AM by avid1010 »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2018, 09:46:23 AM »
Right on expectations in terms of wins, losses, toughness, defense improvement.

Only places not on expectations has been Joseph and Jamaal, but I see improvements in both.  Joey has exceeded expectations. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2018, 09:49:43 AM »
So far, they have won they games I thought they would and lost the games I thought they would.  I think they will finish higher conference-wise than I predicted because the BE is clearly down.  But I don't expect them to run rampant in the BE.  Not particularly sure they will end up #1 or #2.  I need to see some solid road performances for me to get on THAT bandwagon.  I mean, if they look like they did last year @SJU, I think it tempers expectations. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2018, 11:04:58 AM »
Yeah, it was a less than ideal schedule setup. Jay Bee had a good article on his site about it. @Indiana and Kansas were always the two toughest games of the non-conference (and looking at the Big East, maybe two toughest of the season). It puts your back against the wall to start 0-2 in meaningful games and needing to win at least 3/4 to have a successful non-conference. The boys got it done.

As exhilarating as the Wisconsin win was, and as incredible as Markus was against Buffalo and K-State, this is why I'm sticking to what I said about Louisville being the most important game of the season. I said it before the game and I said it after the win, and I'm saying it again now.

It would have really sucked to have started 0-3 against these teams, and to go 0-fer in NY. A little doubt might have seeped into some of the Warriors' minds, and it goes without saying that a ton of doubt would have bubbled up here. Hell, some Scoopers were calling for Wojo to go even after we beat the Ville.

Louisville isn't a great team, but they're a good team and a blueblood program ... and to beat them the way we did, by rallying late and gutting out an OT win, said a lot about what our lads were capable of. (It then was reaffirming to see LVille beat Michigan State.)

Other wins will have more luster -- I'm sure Wisconsin already does to just about everyone, and I certainly don't mean to sell that short. But in the context of "which win set up the whole season," I think winning that Louisville game was huge, huge, huge.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2018, 11:09:18 AM »

Given what the big east is this year I'd be disappointed with a 5 seed and top 3. KenPom on a game by game basis has us projected to only lose 3 games and those are all away.

This team is good and I'm not sure there is a better team in the Big East
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2018, 11:14:56 AM »
Given what the big east is this year I'd be disappointed with a 5 seed and top 3. KenPom on a game by game basis has us projected to only lose 3 games and those are all away.

I think the BEast championship is there for the taking.  And I think MU has the pieces to do it.  But slumps and injuries happen.  So, for now, I will not bump my expectations.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2018, 02:13:05 PM »
Right on expectations in terms of wins, losses, toughness, defense improvement.

Only places not on expectations has been Joseph and Jamaal, but I see improvements in both.  Joey has exceeded expectations.

So at this point last year, Marquette's TRank for AdjDE was 173rd.
This year (with a tougher schedule), it is 50th.

That was your expectation?
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2018, 03:13:54 PM »
So at this point last year, Marquette's TRank for AdjDE was 173rd.
This year (with a tougher schedule), it is 50th.

That was your expectation?

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=56551.msg1039156#msg1039156

Some discussion in here, and some people actually did predict it! (BrewCity at #55)

But most were in the 75-100 range

The Howard on / Rowsey off stat turned out to be a very good leading indicator of the upside on D

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2018, 03:15:41 PM »
As exhilarating as the Wisconsin win was, and as incredible as Markus was against Buffalo and K-State, this is why I'm sticking to what I said about Louisville being the most important game of the season. I said it before the game and I said it after the win, and I'm saying it again now.

It would have really sucked to have started 0-3 against these teams, and to go 0-fer in NY. A little doubt might have seeped into some of the Warriors' minds, and it goes without saying that a ton of doubt would have bubbled up here. Hell, some Scoopers were calling for Wojo to go even after we beat the Ville.

Louisville isn't a great team, but they're a good team and a blueblood program ... and to beat them the way we did, by rallying late and gutting out an OT win, said a lot about what our lads were capable of. (It then was reaffirming to see LVille beat Michigan State.)

Other wins will have more luster -- I'm sure Wisconsin already does to just about everyone, and I certainly don't mean to sell that short. But in the context of "which win set up the whole season," I think winning that Louisville game was huge, huge, huge.

Totally agree, it was a gut check win and they have played with more of a swagger since then

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2018, 03:16:53 PM »

With they way the conference has been playing to start the season, I think it's reasonable to assume we'll have a good shot to win the conference this year. The one thing I still have some reservations about is our ability to play well outside Milwaukee, but even with that in mind, I just haven't seen anything from other conference opponents too impressive yet.

14 conference wins isn't crazy with the league being down this year and MU being very much on the upswing. Combine that with a bye and a win or two in the conference tournament, and I think a 3 or 4 seed is attainable in March.

feedback