[April 22, 2024, 08:17:35 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Illinois high schools eliminating football conferences  (Read 2664 times)

mr.MUskie

• All American
Illinois high schools eliminating football conferences
« on: December 18, 2018, 04:36:41 PM »
In a landmark decision, Illinois High School Association member schools Tuesday approved Proposal 23, which will abolish football conferences statewide beginning with the 2021 season, in favor of a new districting format.

Proposal 23 directs the IHSA to implement a football scheduling system for regular-season varsity games that would involve the following:

•A 9-week regular season;

•Playoff classes will be determined in advance of the season;

•Schools from each class will be placed into eight geographic groups by the IHSA office to play a round-robin schedule

•The remaining games on the regular season schedule will be arranged by the individual schools at their discretion;

•The top 4 teams in each of the eight groups qualify for the playoffs, based on games played within each group.

The proposal passed 324-307 with 69 no opinion votes.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Illinois high schools eliminating football conferences
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 04:42:25 PM »
In a landmark decision, Illinois High School Association member schools Tuesday approved Proposal 23, which will abolish football conferences statewide beginning with the 2021 season, in favor of a new districting format.

Proposal 23 directs the IHSA to implement a football scheduling system for regular-season varsity games that would involve the following:

•A 9-week regular season;

•Playoff classes will be determined in advance of the season;

•Schools from each class will be placed into eight geographic groups by the IHSA office to play a round-robin schedule

•The remaining games on the regular season schedule will be arranged by the individual schools at their discretion;

•The top 4 teams in each of the eight groups qualify for the playoffs, based on games played within each group.

The proposal passed 324-307 with 69 no opinion votes.
I guess this is because some schools are having a hard time fielding teams. 
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 04:44:08 PM »
What will determine the classes beyond enrollment? Are we still using the private school multiplier?

Otherwise it makes total sense, play the closest teams most similar in size

Downfall, no more conference champions, all-conference teams, records, etc. However, conference realignment in Illinois has been crazy for the last 10 years.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 05:45:05 PM »
IHSA realignment has made the college realignment of recent years look like a picnic in comparison.

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 08:41:16 PM »
Wisconsin looked at a similar proposal a few years ago. It was rejected.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 09:06:26 PM »

This.  I always thought it was strange that my alma mater (Warren Township/ Gurnee) played in a conference that had other massive schools, like Stevenson and Zion-Benton, but also had midsize schools like Grant and Mundelein.  In football, those smaller schools just couldn’t compete.  At the same time, we were sandwiched between Waukegan and Grayslake, who weren’t in our conference despite being similar in size.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 09:13:07 PM »
Here in Calif we still have conferences, but they only mean so much.  Playoffs are all about ratings and the division you are in which is based on past performance.  Enrollment nomatta. 

We had a situation in recently where three teams in our conference all competed for their division state championship because they were each classified in a different division. Despite being in the same conference.  It is strange, but the idea is to try and equalize the schools a bit and not penalize bad athletic programs that are big enrollment or reward small schools that are recruiting and powerhouses athletically.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 10:20:48 PM »
Here in Calif we still have conferences, but they only mean so much.  Playoffs are all about ratings and the division you are in which is based on past performance.  Enrollment nomatta. 

We had a situation in recently where three teams in our conference all competed for their division state championship because they were each classified in a different division. Despite being in the same conference.  It is strange, but the idea is to try and equalize the schools a bit and not penalize bad athletic programs that are big enrollment or reward small schools that are recruiting and powerhouses athletically.

That happens around here too.  My current employer Racine St Cats and Racine Lutheran both made it to the state title game this year, but in different divisions (4 and 6, respectively).  They play in the same conference.

I'm proud of my students so I'll give them a shout-out for bringing home a state championship trophy!  Go Angels! (Lutheran was not so lucky)

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 01:45:10 AM »
A bit confusing. So does that include breaking up the CPS league? Because that'll really change the landscape of high school basketball in IL.
Maigh Eo for Sam

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 02:40:45 AM »
A bit confusing. So does that include breaking up the CPS league? Because that'll really change the landscape of high school basketball in IL.

Just a football only decision. The IHSA knows where they're bread and butter is, they know basketball is off limits.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2018, 05:17:06 AM »
Just a football only decision. The IHSA knows where they're bread and butter is, they know basketball is off limits.

Gotcha, makes more sense then. I'm curious who my old HS is gonna end up playing, Elmwoods Park, Morton, and Steinmetz are who boarder us but that's quite a step down from playing LT, Hinsdale central etc
Maigh Eo for Sam

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2018, 06:00:31 AM »
Gotcha, makes more sense then. I'm curious who my old HS is gonna end up playing, Elmwoods Park, Morton, and Steinmetz are who boarder us but that's quite a step down from playing LT, Hinsdale central etc

It looks like you'll be playing same-size schools that are relatively close.  I have a feeling this could increase drive times, especially in rural areas of the state.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2018, 12:31:28 PM »

Fenwick, the Proviso's, R-B? 

Will the Catholic schools be "upped" a division or two because they don't have borders and therefore can recruit?

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2018, 02:27:48 PM »

Will the Catholic schools be "upped" a division or two because they don't have borders and therefore can recruit?

We'll see under this new scenario.
However, last year, Immaculate Conception got bumped up from 3A to 4A after their 2nd straight state title, and now will be bumped up to 5A next year after winning a third.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2018, 02:35:32 PM »
On a related note, the Hinsdale school district just voted to cut its football program, along with  wrestling, swimming, water polo and marching band, after voters rejected a referendum in November.
I'lll be shocked when the referendum goes back on the ballot in April and wins approval, saving the programs.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2018, 09:02:32 AM »
On a related note, the Hinsdale school district just voted to cut its football program, along with  wrestling, swimming, water polo and marching band, after voters rejected a referendum in November.
I'lll be shocked when the referendum goes back on the ballot in April and wins approval, saving the programs.

Yep.. we discussed this topic over lunch yesterday as well and came to the exact same prognostication.

BTW - In addition to the 69 "no opinion" votes, there were upwards of 200 schools who didn't bother casting a ballot at all.

This.  I always thought it was strange that my alma mater (Warren Township/ Gurnee) played in a conference that had other massive schools, like Stevenson and Zion-Benton, but also had midsize schools like Grant and Mundelein.  In football, those smaller schools just couldn’t compete.  At the same time, we were sandwiched between Waukegan and Grayslake, who weren’t in our conference despite being similar in size.

Grayslake has two high schools, both of which have enrollments under 1,400.  Warren's enrollment is over 4,000.

Go Carmel.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2018, 09:31:23 AM »

forgot about R-B I could see that. It would be nice to have the Fenwick-OPRF football game hope that works out.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2018, 02:42:51 PM »
What will determine the classes beyond enrollment? Are we still using the private school multiplier?

Downfall, no more conference champions, all-conference teams, records, etc. However, conference realignment in Illinois has been crazy for the last 10 years.

Eh, now you have district champions, all-district teams, etc. It really doesn't change that much.

I think it makes sense, especially in the Chicago area. I do wonder though how it will play out in more rural areas of the state. Conferences make sense there because otherwise you may be driving 2 hours to play a school in the same class. I could see this being even more of an issue in Wisconsin.

When I was in high school (Wisconsin), we were by far the smallest team in our conference. Some schools were 2 or 3 times our size. But if we only played teams our size, we would have had to travel a ton.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2018, 02:43:48 PM »
What makes basketball off limits?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2018, 02:44:00 PM »

This is for football