Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 11:07:17 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Viper
[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU recruiting stories to fill the break  (Read 13206 times)

jesmu84

• All American
MU recruiting stories to fill the break
« on: December 10, 2018, 07:56:35 PM »
Stealing from Tower here..

Since we've got time to chat between games, does anyone have stories about MU recruits?

Big daddy said he'd tell the story about Grimes recruitment/commitment after he was out of college.

Stuff like that. Anything entertaining that we might not know? Doesn't have to be scandalous or slander.

MuMark

• All American
Re: MU recruiting stories to fill the break
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 08:17:29 PM »
Carl Landry wanted to come to MU for his last 2 years after Juco.....we had another JC guy here at the time playing for Crean and the administration didn't want to have more then 1 or wanted to see how it went with the first guy before they would let him bring on another one......something like that.

So he ended up at Purdue......and then played about 10 Years in the NBA.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 08:27:40 PM »
Who was the recruit who went elsewhere due to stuff written on a message board?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 08:49:56 PM »
Carson Desroisers

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 08:53:16 PM »
Who was the recruit who went elsewhere due to stuff written on a message board?
Vander
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 08:55:49 PM »

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 09:01:45 PM »
In 1978 Scooter McCray was all but signed, sealed and delivered to MU.  Rick Majerus popped in at the McCray home for a visit, and being on such good terms with the family, Mrs McCray sent Big Rick up to Scooter's bedroom.  Well, Rick walked right in and found Scooter choking the gopher.  Needless to say, things became awkward, Scooter couldn't look Rick in the eye and had a quick change of heart and committed to Louisville.  It was a huge shock to almost everyone when he chose not to come to Marquette.

Long story, short.  His younger brother Rodney joined him at U of L, and the 2 of them helped Pervis Ellison win the 1980 National Championship.

True Story!

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 09:06:42 PM »
In 1978 Scooter McCray was all but signed, sealed and delivered to MU.  Rick Majerus popped in at the McCray home for a visit, and being on such good terms with the family, Mrs McCray sent Big Rick up to Scooter's bedroom.  Well, Rick walked right in and found Scooter choking the gopher.  Needless to say, things became awkward, Scooter couldn't look Rick in the eye and had a quick change of heart and committed to Louisville.  It was a huge shock to almost everyone when he chose not to come to Marquette.

Long story, short.  His younger brother Rodney joined him at U of L, and the 2 of them helped Pervis Ellison win the 1980 National Championship.

True Story!
The whole picture becomes clear now.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 09:18:58 PM »

True Story!

TMI

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 09:22:18 PM »
Mike Deane had a teammate during his playing days in Europe. When Deane was coaching MU the teammate told Deane he wanted his son to play for him.........Deane told him we didn't have a spot.

Kid ended up at Miami of Ohio.....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wally_Szczerbiak

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 09:24:23 PM »
The point of the story was Rick's bad timing may have cost us another National Title.  The McCray brothers were coveted by every program in the country, and coming off the '77 title we were in the driver's seat for them. 

Package Deal (so to speak).
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 09:35:44 PM by 94Warrior »

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 09:24:33 PM »
I don't like where this thread is going

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 09:27:58 PM »

True Story!

Pervis Ellison was not on the 1980 team. He was a freshman on the 1986 team that beat Duke.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2018, 09:32:00 PM »

Pervis Ellison was not on the 1980 team. He was a freshman on the 1986 team that beat Duke.

I am getting old - the memory is fading.  Insert Darryl 'Dr Dunkenstien' Griffith for Pervis Ellison, and the rest of the story is 'On the Up and Up'.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 09:37:25 PM by 94Warrior »

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 09:32:12 PM »
I don't like where this thread is going

Before you box the jesuit, please think of Rick Majerus

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2018, 11:17:24 PM »
I heard Rec Centers across America were coming in hot for Ners's services.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2018, 01:40:59 AM »
Sam Bowie was less than impressed with the Old Gym but was cinched the deal was his projected lodging at The Beer Can.
"I don't care what Chick says, my mom's a babe" 

theBabyDavid

Goose

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2018, 01:43:59 AM »
theBabyDavid

And we still almost landed Sam.

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2018, 01:50:49 AM »
Goose

It was that close with Bowie. Word I heard is that Bowie's girl friend dreaded the thought of Wisconsin winters. Wonder how long he was with her...

Another great story is how Jimmy Boylan came to us via Dean Smith. Different world today.
"I don't care what Chick says, my mom's a babe" 

theBabyDavid

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2018, 09:18:44 AM »
Goose

It was that close with Bowie. Word I heard is that Bowie's girl friend dreaded the thought of Wisconsin winters. Wonder how long he was with her...

Another great story is how Jimmy Boylan came to us via Dean Smith. Different world today.

Played golf with Jim a few years ago.  He said he was set to meet Al in a hotel on the east coast.  Goes up to Al's room and there's two cheeseburgers and a 6 pack of beer.  He wasn't sure if he should grab a beer but he felt like his spot on the team depended on the decision.  He decided to grab a beer.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Goose

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2018, 09:33:03 AM »
Crash and Lens

Recruiting stories like Boylan were the norm with Al. What you saw was what you got.

Not an MU recruiting story, but a UK story involving a local kid about 20+ years ago. The kid was working at our family biz over the summer and was not committed to a school the month after graduation. Great kid, great player but not best student and a bit immature. Rick Pitino learns that he is working at our place and a family member of mine was contacted by Pitino regarding the kid. Basically Rick said, if the kid comes here tomorrow I will give him a scholly on the spot. If he does not come, no second chance.

Family member asks me where the kid was and says go get him because we need to talk to him. On the way back to the office I told the kid that UK wants him and he needs to get down there tonight. The kid walks into office with big grin on his face and we assumed he was all jacked up about Pitino calling. Once in the office the kid hears the news again and responds with "Can I do it another day? I am going to Great America with my girlfriend tomorrow." When told there was no second day offered he simply blew off UK and went to Great America.

That really is the mindset that coaches have to deal with from time to time. Recruiting is a crazy business and you never know what makes a kid commit or not.

Good news, the kid went onto to an uneventful college career, but followed it with a very long, successful career in Europe. Loved the kid big time, but learned just how hard getting a commit can be for a coach.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 09:43:21 AM by Goose »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2018, 09:40:22 AM »

Scooter is lucky that Rick walked in instead of Brad Davison.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2018, 12:54:16 PM »
Is recruiting like dating?

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2018, 01:00:02 PM »
Is recruiting like dating?
Does your girlfriend look like Majerus?  If so, then yes.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2018, 03:17:57 PM »

Bowie's high school girlfriend wanted to stay near home and for Sam to attend Penn State.  They made a run.  Even Joe Pa made a pitch, "If you came to Penn State, you may sacrifice yourself for a while, but you'd be the guy who opened doors for others. And for generations and generations, you'd be one of the all-time heroes."

The girlfriend went to Penn State.  Sam to Kentucky.  Guess the draw to play on NBC, ABC and CBS every week was more important than being an all-time hero.

..and I believe there is no substance to the story that Sam's redshirt was retired and hangs in the rafters in Lexington
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 03:23:20 PM by oldwarrior81 »