Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Press Break  (Read 4411 times)

Marquette4life

• All American
Press Break
« on: December 10, 2018, 10:14:17 AM »
Guys, I am optimistic about the win obviously and wojo made the right adjustments at half by not doubling Happ. I thought Virginia laid the blueprint and it was kind of obvious what to do and he did in the second half. But the one problem I had with wojo yesterday was the press break at the end of games. Here is why:

Caught it in the corner had to call time
Sacar is in the game instead of heldt or bailey or cain who can all shoot free throws better. Result: 2 missed free throws
Why is Sam hauser inbounding the ball (yes I know he has a high basketball IQ, but cmon how hard is it to inbound the ball and make the smart play) He could be on the floor catching the ball and shooting free throws.

I dont know, but these are just my thoughts. What do you guys think?

forgetful

• All American
Re: Press Break
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 10:20:10 AM »
UW did a tremendous job of cutting off passing lanes.  Their size was making it difficult to get the ball in.  The corner inbound is not ideal, but either Sam makes that pass and hopes JC may be able to get out with it, or Sam has to call a TO to avoid a 5 second call. 

Sacar is in the game because he is smart and strong with the ball. Both Bailey and Cain are a bit weak with their dribble.  Heldt is not a ball handler, doesn't offer anything on the inbound.

Sam is are smartest player and has height, he should absolutely be the one inbounding the ball.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 10:21:40 AM »
I think you might be overthinking it.  First, I absolutely have Sammy as our inbounder.  Nobody on our team has better patience and court vision.  Now having Matty in the game, maybe.  But you have to remember that he hadn't played for extended minutes.

Here some more credit to Morrow.  There was an inbound when he caught and dished to Markus immediately prior to an eventual Bucky foul as Markus dribbled.  Perfect.  (Now the fact that Markus clanked two and then Ed had to take care of business himself several seconds later is a separate issue.)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 10:24:23 AM by jsglow »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 10:24:18 AM »
Heldt does offer something for the press break.   A tall target to inbound the ball to.    Think McIlvaine and Miller against Kentucky.   Toss the ball high to the tall guy and have the little guy swing by for a hand off.     Both are good foul shooters.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 10:25:52 AM »
We used Heldt in that role a handful of times last year.  I'd expect it again.  There has to be more than one press break plan so teams are left guessing in their pre-game prep.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 10:27:45 AM »
Complaining about the missed FTs is one thing, but UW pressed for what 4-5 possessions, and we had 0 turnovers and used 1 timeout.  All-in-all, it could have been a lot worse.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 10:28:53 AM »
Sam is are smartest player and has height, he should absolutely be the one inbounding the ball.

This.  In-bounding in a pressure situation is extremely difficult, no matter the defensive scheme. 

It's not fair to Lazar, but see: Hayward, Lazar (c. March 22, 2009).

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 10:45:27 AM »
Complaining about the missed FTs is one thing, but UW pressed for what 4-5 possessions, and we had 0 turnovers and used 1 timeout.  All-in-all, it could have been a lot worse.

We knocked off 2 ranked teams in a row. Gotta find something to be negative about.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 10:52:57 AM »
I was actually surprised we didn't get hit with a 5-second call on the last inbounds to Markus in OT--it was dangerously close and I could see the refs giving them that call.  Thankfully Sam got it in just in time (which is maybe another good indication of his high bball IQ!). 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 10:56:46 AM »
Smartest player always in bounds the ball. Sam gets the nod. As for things could have been worse, the press they faced was not overly impressive. If they get pressed by an athletic team, they need to amp up their games.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 11:26:05 AM »
Heldt does offer something for the press break.   A tall target to inbound the ball to.    Think McIlvaine and Miller against Kentucky.   Toss the ball high to the tall guy and have the little guy swing by for a hand off.     Both are good foul shooters.

I misunderstood what he was saying.  I thought he was saying put Heldt in for Sacar.  That would have had Heldt and Morrow both in.  In that situation Heldt doesn't offer anything.

I agree on the benefit of a big being in (Heldt or Morrow), I like Morrow a bit because of his strength, essentially posting up a defender to get an inbound.  But Heldt is taller and a better FT shooter, so the toss the ball high option is better for him.

My language was specific to swapping Heldt and Sacar, not general utility of Heldt in press situations.  My apologies for the imprecise language.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 11:46:29 AM »
Sam inbounds for several reasons: Smart, Height, and he's a good FT shooter if he gets the ball right back. I was a little surprised Chartouney was in at the end of the game (and he got immediately trapped forcing a TO that Sam called), but it makes sense from a ball handling perspective. You want all your veterans/solid FT shooters in the game at that point to protect the rim.

Side note, I love that Wojo rode the hot hand in Morrow in OT. Even noticed him talking to Ed and Theo prior to the start of OT that seemed to be a conversation around Wojo riding the hot hand (or where they were going for dinner after the game, what do I know).
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

TheGym

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 12:03:00 PM »
Sam inbounds for several reasons: Smart, Height, and he's a good FT shooter if he gets the ball right back. I was a little surprised Chartouney was in at the end of the game (and he got immediately trapped forcing a TO that Sam called), but it makes sense from a ball handling perspective. You want all your veterans/solid FT shooters in the game at that point to protect the rim.

Side note, I love that Wojo rode the hot hand in Morrow in OT. Even noticed him talking to Ed and Theo prior to the start of OT that seemed to be a conversation around Wojo riding the hot hand (or where they were going for dinner after the game, what do I know).

This, they ran the same press break against UTEP and the goal is to get the back right back to Sam as the first option with him heading up floor.  It work really well against UTEP, Wisconsin did a great job denying the second pass and they had to call a timeout.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2018, 12:34:35 PM »
Sam is are smartest player

Tower is not are smartest poster
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 12:42:35 PM »
Tower is not are smartest poster
^^^^^^^^
Band dis guy
# Fake news

Unless you meant Tower Topper or Tower913.    Then we agree.   
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 12:46:59 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2018, 06:07:52 PM »
^^^^^^^^
Band dis guy
# Fake news

Unless you meant Tower Topper or Tower913.    Then we agree.

#BandMe

Ooops, I meant forgetful. Sorry that I confused you two... yeeeesh, scary!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2018, 06:27:14 PM »
My initial thought was that Sam is such a smart passer/ballhandler and good FT shooter that he should be on the floor to catch the inbounds pass. But obviously, he is great at throwing it in, too, and, as others have said, great to have to get the ball right back to.

I think if we had somebody almost as good as him to throw it in, I prefer him on the floor; but I haven't seen that we do, so I'll trust Wojo on this (and all of my fellow Scoopers who say he's the best inbounder).
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2018, 06:40:47 PM »
Guys, I am optimistic about the win obviously and wojo made the right adjustments at half by not doubling Happ. I thought Virginia laid the blueprint and it was kind of obvious what to do and he did in the second half. But the one problem I had with wojo yesterday was the press break at the end of games. Here is why:

Sacar is in the game instead of heldt or bailey or cain who can all shoot free throws better. Result: 2 missed free throws
Why is Sam hauser inbounding the ball (yes I know he has a high basketball IQ, but cmon how hard is it to inbound the ball and make the smart play) He could be on the floor catching the ball and shooting free throws.

Cain is not a good free throw shooter and has only attempted 4 all year.....he isn't going to be a choice. Matt could have been but there was enough time left that UW was going to try and force a turnover so,you wanted your best ball handlers in......that's why he had Sacar and Joe in at first. Joe had been solid at the line in very small sample but obviously didn't get the job done yesterday when given the chance.....neither did Markus......go figure.

I bounding the ball is never a big deal until you have somebody else do it and they throw it away or can't inbound it.......and you have no timeouts left......and then fans like you start a thread that is titled " Why wasn't Sam inbounding the ball? Fire Wojo!"

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2018, 06:49:00 PM »
This.  In-bounding in a pressure situation is extremely difficult, no matter the defensive scheme. 

God. Damn. You.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2018, 09:00:46 PM »

Thou shalt not speak ill of Lazar.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2018, 09:43:37 PM »
I really liked the inbound to Morrow with handoff to Marcus who was already in motion.  That could also be Heldt... but it's a good play.  I could even see using Joey on this play - he's taller than Morrow and a better FT shooter.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2018, 10:08:06 PM »

Umm have u seen Cain handle the ball or shoot ft’s??!!?!?!
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2018, 10:20:20 PM »
#BandMe

Ooops, I meant forgetful. Sorry that I confused you two... yeeeesh, scary!

No problem, you are not our smartest poster.

Tower is the respectful heroic one.  I'm the one that forgets to spell words properly.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2018, 10:53:59 PM »
I think if we had somebody almost as good as him to throw it in, I prefer him on the floor; but I haven't seen that we do, so I'll trust Wojo on this (and all of my fellow Scoopers who say he's the best inbounder).

I can imagine Joey moving into this role especially in late game situations.  Slightly taller, while Sam is a little more nimble. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2018, 10:58:08 PM »
I can imagine Joey moving into this role especially in late game situations.  Slightly taller, while Sam is a little more nimble.

Yeah, except I want Joey available to catch the ball and then shoot FTs, too!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson