[Today at 12:57:23 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by PointWarrior
[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[April 30, 2024, 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 30, 2024, 02:09:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bracketology Thread 2018-19  (Read 104847 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Bracketology Thread 2018-19
« Reply #200 on: January 25, 2019, 06:43:11 PM »
Remember when people wanted Porter Moser instead of Wojo?

LOL

Yup, about 7 weeks ago
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #201 on: January 25, 2019, 07:03:29 PM »
I'm down on the Treasure Coast and a few years ahead of you, alumni-wise.

Good starting place for our second NatChamp.

Also, I'm betting that there's enough MU alums in Florida, Georgia and the Carolinas that might make the trip (not far from any of those places). GO WARRIORS!!!!

We will have 7 MU alums at Jax for the tournament regardless of who is there. There is a decent amount of alums in Florida. If we got seeded there, I bet it would be a decent turnout.

GoldenEagle323

• Team Captain

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #203 on: January 29, 2019, 08:02:34 AM »
Maigh Eo for Sam

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #204 on: January 29, 2019, 08:23:25 AM »
Not likely to happen but would love to see Nova play duke in the S16 and knock them out. I feel someone is going to get majorly screwed by having to play nova in the s16. either as a 1 or a 2 seed. The losses against Penn and Furmen will most likely cost them a seed line or two but the way they are playing recently I would not want to face them before the elite 8. I would bet they get a 4 seed and a nightmare match up for any of the 1 seeds.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #205 on: January 29, 2019, 08:29:21 AM »
We will have 7 MU alums at Jax for the tournament regardless of who is there. There is a decent amount of alums in Florida. If we got seeded there, I bet it would be a decent turnout.

I'm in NE Florida and will be there as well.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #206 on: January 29, 2019, 08:39:58 AM »
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

This bracket pretty much flips off the notion of "protected seeds."

Milwaukee (#3) to Tulsa = 766 miles
Denton, TX (#14) to Tulsa - 269 miles

Meanwhile, Bricky (#7) would play in Des Moines = 293 miles from Madison.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #207 on: January 29, 2019, 08:58:00 AM »
At this time in the season, the most relevant discussions regarding bracketology are: In, out, or on the bubble? If out or on the bubble, what do you have to do to get in? If in, how high a seed can you get?  Speculating on location is just that, speculation.  So go ahead a speculate away but I’m currently not going to lose sleep over whether some bracketologist puts us in Des Moines or San Jose.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 09:03:46 AM by MomofMUltiples »
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

Pepe Sylvia

• Team Captain
« Reply #208 on: January 29, 2019, 09:01:33 AM »
Yeah, a bracketologist's location prediction is not worth thinking about, I guarantee the bracketologist hasn't.
twitterx: @HBOCEOofTits

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #209 on: January 29, 2019, 09:43:27 AM »
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/bracketology/

At least puts us in Des Moines. I would totally take this bracket.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #210 on: January 29, 2019, 09:55:19 AM »
I’m excited for the Committee to release their top 16. Nice to actually be on the lookout for our team.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #211 on: January 29, 2019, 10:12:51 AM »
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/bracketology/

At least puts us in Des Moines. I would totally take this bracket.

FSU would be a challenging match-up with a lot of big wingspans but I would love another crack at Kansas in the Sweet 16, especially without Doke.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #212 on: January 29, 2019, 10:14:11 AM »
FSU would be a challenging match-up with a lot of big wingspans but I would love another crack at Kansas in the Sweet 16, especially without Doke.

They are also a team that’s known to literally just not show up for games about 50% of the time under Hamilton.

Considering they made a nice run last year, I like the odds of them straight up losing that first game
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #213 on: January 29, 2019, 11:16:34 AM »
Though it's nice to see that Lunardi finally acknowledges we're having a good season, I prefer the CBS bracket.

Not that either means a hill of beans in January.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #214 on: January 29, 2019, 11:24:19 AM »
Though it's nice to see that Lunardi finally acknowledges we're having a good season, I prefer the CBS bracket.

Not that either means a hill of beans in January.

Yeah I’d rather get Kansas than Michigan.

Depends on who wins the first game. I think we’d handle Miss State. Minny could be a potential interesting match up. But like FSU, they may not even show up.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #215 on: January 29, 2019, 12:36:45 PM »
Yeah, a bracketologist's location prediction is not worth thinking about, I guarantee the bracketologist hasn't.

I can't speak to Lunardi, but one reason I prefer doing S-Curves is because I do think about location predictions. Doing a bracket is a lot more work if you care to do it right. Things I take into account...

• Proximity of protected seed to home.
  • Proximity of protected seeds potential first weekend opponents to home.
  • Proximity of non-protected favored seeds to home compared to first round opponents.
  • Overall protected seed pod S-Curve balance (the strongest 4-team pod had total seed power of 130, the weakest was 134.5).
  • Overall region strength S-Curve balance (strongest region was Midwest at 524, weakest was East at 532.5, but 3 regions were within 1.5 points).
  • Avoiding in season rematches in the first round, & ideally the first weekend.
  • Balancing conferences between the regions.
  • Preventing conference opponents from meeting in the first weekend as much as possible.
Again, I can't speak to anyone else, but there are people projecting brackets that do take all that into account, and I'm sure there are people more particular about it than I am.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #216 on: January 29, 2019, 01:24:01 PM »
Given that this is the first year of the NET ranking , I wonder how accurate the bracketologists are going to be this year. I care less about the seeding and locations and more about who is actually in the field or on the bubble. One of the interesting thing last year was the committee identified who was on the bubble that didn't make it and then those teams got seeded high in the NIT. 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 12:28:26 AM by Herman Cain »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #217 on: January 29, 2019, 01:52:36 PM »
Isn't the first four out always the #1 seeds in the NIT?

IMO, some bracketologists get caught in "dream matchups,"  where they are just dying to see a bracket where Kansas plays Mizzou or MU plays VPI , or maybe a Duke-Kentucky rematch in a regional final.  I believe this drives some placements more than anything.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #218 on: January 29, 2019, 02:01:42 PM »
Given that this is the first year of the NET ranking , I wonder how accurate the bacteriologists are going to be this year. I care less about the seeding and locations and more about who is actually in the field or on the bubble. One of the interesting thing last year was the committee identified who was on the bubble that didn't make it and then those teams got seeded high in the NIT.

Was unaware of the connection of NET and bacteria. 

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #219 on: January 29, 2019, 02:03:24 PM »
Was unaware of the connection of NET and bacteria.

It's tied together by the non-confidence schedule.  ;D
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #220 on: January 29, 2019, 02:31:34 PM »

PBI flyer? Did you used to live in the Palm Beaches?

Will likely be where our Warriors go this year. Hopefully it is JAX.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #221 on: January 29, 2019, 03:24:20 PM »
Given that this is the first year of the NET ranking , I wonder how accurate the bacteriologists are going to be this year. I care less about the seeding and locations and more about who is actually in the field or on the bubble. One of the interesting thing last year was the committee identified who was on the bubble that didn't make it and then those teams got seeded high in the NIT.

Bacteriologists aside, I wonder a lot about this. Take the current #39 & 40 in NET, Utah State & Lipscomb. If bids went strictly on those rankings, both would be safely in regardless of conference tourney results. But at any time in the past, Utah State likely just doesn't have the resume and Lipscomb is in too small a conference to get serious at-large consideration.

As I look at other projectionists, most seem to use the NET as a guide, one more tool in the toolbox. Similar to the RPI. I think the first good indicator we get will be on February 17 when they release the first top-16 seeds. Right now, the top seeds on NET would be Duke, Gonzaga, Virginia, Michigan. On bracketmatrix, the consensus takes Gonzaga & Michigan off the one line and puts Tennessee & MSU there. Marquette will be another good indicator. Bracketmatrix has us as a 3, the NET would have us as a 5.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #222 on: January 29, 2019, 04:32:51 PM »
Bacteriologists aside, I wonder a lot about this. Take the current #39 & 40 in NET, Utah State & Lipscomb. If bids went strictly on those rankings, both would be safely in regardless of conference tourney results. But at any time in the past, Utah State likely just doesn't have the resume and Lipscomb is in too small a conference to get serious at-large consideration.

As I look at other projectionists, most seem to use the NET as a guide, one more tool in the toolbox. Similar to the RPI. I think the first good indicator we get will be on February 17 when they release the first top-16 seeds. Right now, the top seeds on NET would be Duke, Gonzaga, Virginia, Michigan. On bracketmatrix, the consensus takes Gonzaga & Michigan off the one line and puts Tennessee & MSU there. Marquette will be another good indicator. Bracketmatrix has us as a 3, the NET would have us as a 5.

But aren't the NET rankings being used like the RPI was in the past - as a general guide, and not as an absolute determinant of in/out and seeding? If so, teams on the edge would still need to sweat Selection Sunday, and the teams clearly in would still be juggled around a seed or three.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #223 on: January 29, 2019, 04:43:15 PM »
But aren't the NET rankings being used like the RPI was in the past - as a general guide, and not as an absolute determinant of in/out and seeding? If so, teams on the edge would still need to sweat Selection Sunday, and the teams clearly in would still be juggled around a seed or three.

That's my assumption as well, but until we see what the committee actual does with NET we don't know for sure. I can't imagine they would have a selection committee if they were going to let NET do all the work.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 04:56:38 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #224 on: January 29, 2019, 04:44:56 PM »

I expect they will be, but until we actually see the results we won't know how closely they stick to them, both in terms of inclusion and seeding. That's why February 17 will be interesting as it likely answers both questions.