Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette Radio  (Read 4104 times)

cschor

• Walk-On
Marquette Radio
« on: December 01, 2018, 04:21:46 PM »
I was stuck on a 5 Hour Drive and had a listen to the whole game on the radio.  I thought Tony and Homer did a great job.  I miss George and Jim, but Tony was on his A game today describing  technicals and make up fouls today.  From his call, he was seeing things that were going to happen before they did.   Great win and the broadcast made for an enjoyable drive in crap weather.

We R Final Four

• All American
Re: Marquette Radio
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 04:57:03 PM »
Great to hear. I was one who didn’t believe Tony would be able to turn it around, when I heard him earlier.
Glad he’s coming around.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 05:23:24 PM »
I was stuck on a 5 Hour Drive and had a listen to the whole game on the radio.  I thought Tony and Homer did a great job.  I miss George and Jim, but Tony was on his A game today describing  technicals and make up fouls today.  From his call, he was seeing things that were going to happen before they did.   Great win and the broadcast made for an enjoyable drive in crap weather.

That's funny, I was in the same position driving back to Chicago today. I thought Tony was terrible with his 1-word comment/answers bringing the banter to a screeching halt. Homer did a great job powering through Tony's lack of energy, though.

I missed Mac.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 10:18:20 PM by Skatastrophy »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 05:29:27 PM »
That's funny, I was in the same position driving back from Chicago today. I thought Tony was terrible with his 1-word comment/answers bringing the banter to a screeching halt. Homer did a great job powering through Tony's lack of energy, though.

I missed Mac.

1. Belated welcome back

2. Totally agree. Tony has some work to do.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 05:38:49 PM »
If he didn't say anything like "Marquette is going to have to score more points than the opponent if they want to win" he still has a chance to be the second best color analyst in my time as a Marquette fan.

(Let the internet barrage at me from the 55+ crowd commence)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 08:48:17 PM »
I only heard the post-game and Tony was .. not good.  Before I got home, I heard him ask Wojo a question, and it was .. all over the map. 

It was like a question I'd ask if I had a beef n cheddar in front of me and wanted to get back to it.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 08:34:35 AM »
I thought Tony's questions were fine. I did like him comparing the Kansas first half vs the Kansas State first half.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 08:57:38 AM »
#34 is fookin' whorid, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 09:02:29 AM »
If he didn't say anything like "Marquette is going to have to score more points than the opponent if they want to win" he still has a chance to be the second best color analyst in my time as a Marquette fan.

(Let the internet barrage at me from the 55+ crowd commence)

I'm just barely 55+ (56), and I agree.

Mac was awesome, but I was never impressed by Brute Force as a color analyst. He was competent, but he didn't add much to the broadcast.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 09:05:46 AM »
Bob Bach

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2018, 11:16:52 AM »
That's funny, I was in the same position driving back to Chicago today. I thought Tony was terrible with his 1-word comment/answers bringing the banter to a screeching halt. Homer did a great job powering through Tony's lack of energy, though.

I missed Mac.
100. Tony is brutal, and was yesterday.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2018, 11:40:45 AM »
Tony has a great deal of work to do. Homer has had two good color guys and good chemistry, this one might be a miss.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2018, 12:48:05 PM »
Tony has a great deal of work to do. Homer has had two good color guys and good chemistry, this one might be a miss.

Good chemistry is huge in commentary. When they guys know how to play off each other's comments, the broadcasts can be both informative and funny. I think of Jay Bilas and Dan Schulman. Each guy is fine alone, but together they are awesome.

Homer and Mac had tremendous chemistry.

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2018, 02:00:04 PM »
Give Tony time. Mac was a bit dry his first year or two but grew into the opsition. Tony should be fine. But the chenisry does need to develop with Homer.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2018, 03:57:59 PM »
Steve Novak, your table is ready.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2018, 04:00:10 PM »
He's not giving up his Bucks TV gig to do radio for Marquette.

They are going to give Smith some time to figure it out.

MU86NC

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2018, 06:15:06 PM »
I've listened to a couple now and Tony isn't a "Homer"  -  they don't think alike.   

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2018, 06:53:50 PM »
Give Tony time. Mac was a bit dry his first year or two but grew into the opsition. Tony should be fine. But the chenisry does need to develop with Homer.

I keep seeing these comparisons to Mac taking time as well, but don't really see it.  The first couple years Mac and Homer may have been getting used to each other, but in that time, Mac was always uber prepared for each game, and it was obvious he did a ton of research beforehand.

Tony seems to be relying on his experience as a player - which can be insightful, but not enough to fill a broadcast.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2018, 08:56:24 PM »
It takes time. You bring Novak in and you have the same issues in the early going.

Tony is learning radio-tv and Homer and Tony are learning to work together.

It will gel. If Mike Shannon came make it in radio, anyone can!

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2018, 08:43:36 AM »
Disagree that Tony is going to magically "adapt." 

He started doing TV basketball analysis and color 13 years ago.  He's had 100s of hours behind a mic with a variety of on-air partners.

i71_dawg

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2018, 09:24:12 AM »
Agree with most of the other posters that Tony's color commentary is largely cringe-worthy at this point. 

In addition to his technical issues, he lacks energy and enthusiasm too, which really makes it a tough listen.

Jim Mac and even George Thompson were light-years ahead of where he is right now.  I hope Marquette is evaluating this going forward.  At some point, they may be forced to conclude that it's not working and pull the plug on this.  The color guy doesn't always need to be a former player, and maybe there's an MU journalism/communications alum that could do a lot better in that role.

MUBB fan for nearly 30 years

feedback