Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Loserville game thread  (Read 26052 times)

CTWarrior

• All American
Re: Loserville game thread
« Reply #175 on: November 23, 2018, 09:37:56 PM »
Only truly serious head scratcher was the pounding of the ball to Theo in the first half.  He has bad moves, zero touch, and cannot shoot FTs.  He is one of our worst offensive options so wtf is the thought process from the coaching staff?? 

The problem with Theo in the post is that if he gets the ball down there he is going to get off a shot come hell or high water.  He needs to pass back out when he doesn't have something rather than force it.  He makes some good moves and is getting better.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #176 on: November 23, 2018, 09:41:46 PM »
The problem with Theo in the post is that if he gets the ball down there he is going to get off a shot come hell or high water.  He needs to pass back out when he doesn't have something rather than force it.  He makes some good moves and is getting better.

Theo is a solid offensive player and if the opponent chooses to not double team him, I am fine with him putting up the baby hook.  He will get better with that and when he does, he will draw a double team and he has proven to be a good passer in the past.  But he has to learn to finish.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #177 on: November 23, 2018, 09:46:54 PM »
Who said Wojo is giving up on him?? Or are you referring to me?? I am not either. 

"He defends pretty well. Is terrible at everything else. "

I guess the above was posted by Chicos.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #178 on: November 23, 2018, 09:57:14 PM »
Giving up on sophomores 6 games into the season is dumb.   Last year, all he had to do was catch and shoot open 3's after the defense collapsed on Markus/Andrew/Sam.    This year, because the team is so thin at guard, he is handling the ball more and trying to do more.    It takes time.    Just like it is taking time with Morrow, Chartouny, Bailey to fit into their roles.   For one night, Morrow figured it out.    I have little doubt that Jamal will have his big games this year.

Yes, Wojo should have taken Jamal out, but when Sam or Markus make dumb plays they do not suffer the same consequences.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #179 on: November 23, 2018, 10:01:05 PM »
Yes, Wojo should have taken Jamal out, but when Sam or Markus make dumb plays they do not suffer the same consequences.

Because Sam and Markus bring so much to the table (and have such a higher usage rate) that you live with their mistakes. Jamal, not so.much.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #180 on: November 23, 2018, 10:06:12 PM »
Because Sam and Markus bring so much to the table (and have such a higher usage rate) that you live with their mistakes. Jamal, not so.much.

Well if every team from here on out plays defense Like UL did tonight Markus won't be bringing much to the table.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #181 on: November 23, 2018, 10:08:48 PM »
Not sure why Wojo subbed in Bailey for Theo on a free throw when we had the lead late. I figure we need as much rebounding in that situation as possible.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #182 on: November 23, 2018, 10:11:45 PM »
Well if every team from here on out plays defense Like UL did tonight Markus won't be bringing much to the table.
Yeah, he barely made an impact with his 21/3/5/1.

Other than a couple of forced drives and deflected entry passes, Markus played really well tonight.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #183 on: November 23, 2018, 10:13:24 PM »

21 points, led team in assists and steals. 5-for-5 from the line.
I mean, that's something, right?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #184 on: November 23, 2018, 10:15:49 PM »
Not sure why Wojo subbed in Bailey for Theo on a free throw when we had the lead late. I figure we need as much rebounding in that situation as possible.

Because he wanted shooters in the game for the offensive possession and didn't want to burn the final timeout to make the substitution. I imagine he wanted to save the timeout in case the offensive possession went awry.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #185 on: November 23, 2018, 11:34:16 PM »

MU trailed by 1 when he made that sub. It was a ridiculous decision.

UL had just missed the front end. Absolutely no need to make that sub when, if UL makes the second the FT, they're down 2.

If he makes both, and you're gonna go for three and the tie, then I can see it.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #186 on: November 23, 2018, 11:36:29 PM »
MU trailed by 1 when he made that sub. It was a ridiculous decision.

UL had just missed the front end. Absolutely no need to make that sub when, if UL makes the second the FT, they're down 2.

If he makes both, and you're gonna go for three and the tie, then I can see it.

It wasn't a ridiculous decision. We're down two (or one if the FT is missed). The play call is for markus to get to the hoop. If Theo is in the game, his defender clogs up the paint. But putting Bailey in the corner it ensured that there would be far more spacing and less traffic in the lane.

Now, I do think he should have called timeout directly after the made basket to get Theo back into the game defensively.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #187 on: November 24, 2018, 12:01:09 AM »
It wasn't a ridiculous decision. We're down two (or one if the FT is missed). The play call is for markus to get to the hoop. If Theo is in the game, his defender clogs up the paint. But putting Bailey in the corner it ensured that there would be far more spacing and less traffic in the lane.

This.  It was a smart coaching move.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #188 on: November 24, 2018, 12:10:25 AM »

Somebody didn't watch the second half or OT. Thought it was one of Marcus' best games. made the adjustments, started hitting the open man, didn't force much, only one to, and perfect at the line. He was being belted by some real tough cookies tonight and he didn't back down one bit.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #189 on: November 24, 2018, 12:39:01 AM »
Glad I checked in on the thread.  Jesus.  Back to just watching the game.

Stand by this. 

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #190 on: November 24, 2018, 12:56:51 AM »
If I was not clear, you all suck.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #191 on: November 24, 2018, 01:07:07 AM »

This is spot on. He needs to get better at reading the defender and kicking it back out if necessary. But he does have some good moves that I think will make him a real offensive threat in the next year or two.

The gameplan tonight was decidedly different than others this year, looking inside a lot more. Theo handled it OK. If he would have looked to pass just a couple more times, I would say that it would have been a great plan. We went from having no presence in the post in recent games to throwing it down low too much to start this game. The balance will come, but I'm hoping it comes sooner than later.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #192 on: November 24, 2018, 06:06:14 AM »

Floor spacing, shot making, passing, ball handling and Ft shooting i liked the move.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #193 on: November 24, 2018, 06:24:01 AM »
If I was not clear, you all suck.

Love ya too Legs. 😜.

Try chat next time.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #194 on: November 24, 2018, 11:11:59 AM »
Made it a point not to read this until today. Wow, was this funny and not in a good way!
Goal is National Championship

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #195 on: November 24, 2018, 11:26:49 AM »
Butt-ugly turnover 30 seconds into the second half.   Splinters.

No doubt that such coaching inspires confidence in a player and to run through a wall for his coach.  Meanwhile, as a player I watch Markus Howard throw the ball all over the court and force shot after shot with no consequence.

Sure would be nice if Wojo would learn to let his talented youngsters play through some mistakes, just as his most loyal here have given him 4+ years of grace for mediocre (at best) coaching.

Cain plays hard and busts his ass out there - this is not a case of JJJ where you could at least make a case for not seeing the hustle. 

We don't want our players to play soft, but those not named Markus/Sam get coached into that by virtue of getting benched when making an aggressive play but turning it over.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #196 on: November 24, 2018, 11:29:40 AM »
There it is.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #197 on: November 24, 2018, 11:41:30 AM »
There it is.

Yep.  There it is.  Just as its been Wojo's coaching style since Year 1 - to overreact and squash a kid's confidence.  Guy still hasn't learned.  And some of you wonder why we've yet to win an NCAA game under Wojo - or be a Top 25 team?

You do realize our standard for celebrating is now a 3rd place finish in the Pre-season NIT, because we eeked out an OT win against the projected 11th place team in the ACC that entered the season ranked 63rd?

Hang the banner.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #198 on: November 24, 2018, 11:54:47 AM »
No doubt that such coaching inspires confidence in a player and to run through a wall for his coach.  Meanwhile, as a player I watch Markus Howard throw the ball all over the court and force shot after shot with no consequence.

Sure would be nice if Wojo would learn to let his talented youngsters play through some mistakes, just as his most loyal here have given him 4+ years of grace for mediocre (at best) coaching.

Cain plays hard and busts his ass out there - this is not a case of JJJ where you could at least make a case for not seeing the hustle. 

We don't want our players to play soft, but those not named Markus/Sam get coached into that by virtue of getting benched when making an aggressive play but turning it over.

Against Louisville, Cain had 2 TOs in 9 minutes, both moronic plays.  He had zero assists.  Zero offense, and was getting manhandled on the boards. 

Howard was the focus of their entire defensive strategy.  In 44 minutes, handling the ball substantially more, he had 1 TO.  He had 5 assists.  He had an eFG% of 50%. He also added 2 steals on defense. 

Cain was bad yesterday.  By any objective viewer he should have been pulled. 

I'm really really really glad that you are not the coach. 

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #199 on: November 24, 2018, 12:03:10 PM »
Against Louisville, Cain had 2 TOs in 9 minutes, both moronic plays.  He had zero assists.  Zero offense, and was getting manhandled on the boards. 

Howard was the focus of their entire defensive strategy.  In 44 minutes, handling the ball substantially more, he had 1 TO.  He had 5 assists.  He had an eFG% of 50%. He also added 2 steals on defense. 

Cain was bad yesterday.  By any objective viewer he should have been pulled. 

I'm really really really glad that you are not the coach.

It's not a moronic play to attack the basket and force help.  He made an aggressive basketball play.  You need guys attacking the paint.  Jamal's problem is he's not yet great at doing so going to his left/off hand.

That's a simple fix:  Pull him to the side - I want you to stay aggressive.  Make that same move, but bring it to a jump stop in middle of lane.  Assess -  Shoot?  Shot Fake/then shoot?  Kick out to open shooter on wing?

feedback