collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 12:53:11 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Whole house water filtration/softening units  (Read 1212 times)

jutaw22mu

• All American
Whole house water filtration/softening units
« on: November 19, 2018, 09:39:06 AM »
What do people use for whole house water filtration & water softening units?  I bought a house in SE Wisconsin that is on a well this summer and the previous owners rented equipment from Culligan for both water softener and iron/sulfur filtration units.  I am really hating this experience because the iron/sulfur filtration unit does not seem to work and neither does their customer service.  Plus the cost of a non-rented system appears to be reasonable compared to what I spend/month to rent the equipment.

The iron/sulfur filter unit regenerates like 2-3 times/night and is really loud.  This has to be uncommon.

I have looked into other options for buying my own system, like Aquasanos or Pelican water systems and others.  Do any of you have well water, and if so, what do you use? 

🏀

• All American
Re: Whole house water filtration/softening units
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 10:06:06 AM »
2-3 times a night, something is wrong. The regeneration process does take about 2 hours at my house.

I have well water in a gravel rich area (high rust content). We have to regenerate nightly. I couldn't tell you what system it is, it's the only thing I won't attempt to DIY.

Benny B

• All American
Re: Whole house water filtration/softening units
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 12:17:25 PM »
Even though we're on Lake Michigan water, we still have a softener.  It was left by the previous owner, and to be honest, even though L. Michigan is only something like 7 grains of hardness, I much prefer the taste of the softened water, not to mention it's much easier on the tankless water heater. 

Obviously, we don't have any iron/sulfur concerns with our high-quality aych-too-oh, but our softener cycles 2-3 hours every 4,500 gallons, which we have scheduled to start at 2:00 a.m.

I have no experience with whether specialized units are needed for iron/sulfur, but in terms of just the softener, the fittings are such that a DIY swap is easy... literally, shut off the main, drain/empty the unit, d/c the in/out/flush hoses on the old softener (they should be flexible or washing-machine style hoses), connect to the new unit, and turn the main back on.  No sweating/soldering or copperwork should be necessary (so long as you aren't up-sizing pipes).  It would still need to be reconfigured/reprogrammed, but anyone with a 4-year degree should be able to follow the instructions (or better yet, watch a YT video).
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.