[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: The defense is the easy (and right) callout, but can we talk about the offense?  (Read 2027 times)

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
Yes our defense is trash, everyone knows this.

However, I feel like our offense flies under the radar for how bad it is in long stretches. Too many times we rely on a player to bail us out (mainly Sam in the first half last night). The "weaving" we do 25 feet out from the basket provides no value against good teams. Our pick and roll is useless because teams just send two at Howard then we don't know what to do. It works at times when a Hauser sets a screen and we immediately pass to them, Heldt/Morrow should never set the screen. Only three players on our team have the confidence to do anything on offense (Howard, Hauserx2). No one cuts off ball. We have/had three of the best 3pt shooters the last decade to bail out our offense when it stagnats for 20+ seconds.

Am I just not seeing these right?

« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 08:37:18 AM by WolfganghisKhan »

tower912

• All American
It is a new phenomenon this year.  The ball movement and flow that marked the offense the last couple of years is absent so far.
1.  Markus is not a true point.
2.  Right now, nobody else can consistently get their own shot.
3.  Lack of drive and dish opportunities.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUfan12

• All American
It is a new phenomenon this year.  The ball movement and flow that marked the offense the last couple of years is absent so far.

4. The timing is way off on the pick and roll/pop. Either the roll guy goes too early or the guard passes too late.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Against a decent defense, my issue was that Markus struggled to get his own shot and instead of finding his teammates, settled for contested or bad looks. He looked like bad Rowsey out there last night.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American

Yes to all three.

I have to admit that I thought I would see a better Markus.  But #2 and #3 have been an issue for awhile. 

Marquette4life

• All American
This brings us to the question of how good can we actually be lol. If our offense is average and our defense is obviously poor, how good are we

Goose

• All American
Like it or not, Rowsey was the difference maker in the offense last year. I was more concerned about the offensive sided of the ball going into the season. Ton of work to do to get guys open looks.

Marquette4life

• All American
Like it or not, Rowsey was the difference maker in the offense last year. I was more concerned about the offensive sided of the ball going into the season. Ton of work to do to get guys open looks.
This.

Floorslapper

• All American

Truth.

Simply don't see how the additions to the team in any way help mitigate the loss of Rowsey on O-end.  Andrew made the game a TON easier for everyone.  Floor spacing. Ability to penetrate/dish.  High FT Rate. 

WindyCityGoldenEagle

• Scholarship Player
It felt like we had something going on wide post with Sam and Joey.  I don’t get why they don’t get more touches there especially when we are desperate for a basket.

This goes back to last year as well, but it drives me nuts when wojo doesn’t call for that but rather let’s us flounder around the perimeter praying for a Markus bail out shot.

Get the ball to Sam in midpost!