2025 Bracketology by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:57:10 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Lennys Tap
[June 02, 2024, 09:43:52 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Skatastrophy
[June 02, 2024, 08:27:35 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 02, 2024, 09:27:42 AM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[June 01, 2024, 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NCAA Opening night open thread  (Read 12219 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: NCAA Opening night open thread
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2018, 01:11:30 PM »
Zion Williamson is terrifying.  Physically, if you put Charles Oakley and Lebron James in a blender and gave him the ups of Dominique Wilkins.   With an utterly complete game.   Inside, outside, handling with either hand.    The next step in the evolution of a basketball player.   Surrounded by an updated iteration of the the fab 5 playing for Coach K.       

Or, at least, that is how it looked for one night against Kentucky on a neutral floor.   

So, MU fans, MU has the season we all dream of and is now matched up against Duke in,  say, the round of 16.    A 1-4 match-up.    How do you guard him? 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 01:28:03 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2018, 01:26:50 PM »

So, MU fans, MU has the season we all dream of and is now matched up against Duke in,  say, the round of 16.    A 1-4 match-up.    How do you guard him?

Have Jim Chones sell him on the benefits of signing a pro contract in the middle of the season.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2018, 01:34:14 PM »

Ask Tonya Harding for references?

Pray?

Send Eke out there to kick him in the nads?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2018, 04:10:08 PM »

Score 119.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2018, 04:17:23 PM »
Score 119.

+1 shoot the 3. Let Theo and morrow whack the hell out of him and we're good.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2018, 04:35:15 PM »
Zion Williamson is terrifying.  Physically, if you put Charles Oakley and Lebron James in a blender and gave him the ups of Dominique Wilkins.   With an utterly complete game.   Inside, outside, handling with either hand.    The next step in the evolution of a basketball player.   Surrounded by an updated iteration of the the fab 5 playing for Coach K.       

Or, at least, that is how it looked for one night against Kentucky on a neutral floor.   

The scariest part is that he is only the 2nd best freshman on the Duke team.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2018, 04:50:23 PM »
I read that Zion has a 45" vertical (and he weighs 280!).

That's how a legend is created. They make stuff up.

For perspective, Pat Connaughton was measured at 44" at the combine.  Zion has actually been measured at 40.5".

Hamidou Diallo went 44.5" at the 2018 NBA draft combine for 2nd best ever passing Connaughton. A kid from Memphis holds the record at 46".

All that said, Zion looks a a mix of Barkley and Dominique.

GoldenEagle323

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2018, 10:43:47 PM »
Traci Carter played for la salle
10 pts 2 ast 5 boards in 29 minutes. glad to see him playing

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2018, 02:14:26 AM »
Ask Tonya Harding for references?

Pray?

Send Eke out there to kick him in the nads?

Very funny, I'll have to take you off ignore.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2018, 08:00:43 AM »
+1 shoot the 3. Let Theo and morrow whack the hell out of him and we're good.

Problem is they can handle him on the post but he’s got the quickness of a guard as well as a serviceable outside shot and could easily breeze past Theo or Morrow if they had to guard him on the perimeter

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2018, 09:20:52 AM »

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25210341/ncaa-gets-approval-investigate-schools-college-basketball-corruption-case

Our only hope

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2018, 10:02:32 AM »
Traci Carter played for la salle
10 pts 2 ast 5 boards in 29 minutes. glad to see him playing

4 Steals as well.  Traci will be a force in the A-10.  Project they will finish much better than KenPom's current forecast of 12th in A-10 and a 7-11 record.

In other news, yes, Zion Williamson is like none other.  Good Lord.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2018, 10:24:03 AM »
When he goes low, we kick him.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2018, 11:07:18 AM »
That's how a legend is created. They make stuff up.

For perspective, Pat Connaughton was measured at 44" at the combine.  Zion has actually been measured at 40.5".

Hamidou Diallo went 44.5" at the 2018 NBA draft combine for 2nd best ever passing Connaughton. A kid from Memphis holds the record at 46".

All that said, Zion looks a a mix of Barkley and Dominique.

;)

So a mere mortal then

tower912

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2018, 11:56:45 AM »
4 Steals as well.  Traci will be a force in the A-10.  Project they will finish much better than KenPom's current forecast of 12th in A-10 and a 7-11 record.

In other news, yes, Zion Williamson is like none other.  Good Lord.

So, numbers like Chartouny had in the A-10.    Good luck to Traci.    I hope he does well.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2018, 12:25:58 PM »
So, numbers like Chartouny had in the A-10.    Good luck to Traci.    I hope he does well.

After 1 game, coming off a 1.5 year layoff.  Care to lay a side wager as to how Traci performs compared to Chartouney's last season in A-10?  I'll take the over (on Traci) in all Pomeroy categories.  $10 per category.  Let's do it Tower.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2018, 01:49:35 PM »
Nobody cares about Traci, Ners.  He's just some kid who decided he didn't want to play for MU anymore. 
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2018, 01:58:15 PM »
After 1 game, coming off a 1.5 year layoff.  Care to lay a side wager as to how Traci performs compared to Chartouney's last season in A-10?  I'll take the over (on Traci) in all Pomeroy categories.  $10 per category.  Let's do it Tower.

So what.  I hope he plays great. Why the comparison?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2018, 02:02:09 PM »

What we love me about Joseph is the d (pause). Happy to go $10 per category on: DR%, blk%, stl%. This year Traci v last year Chartouny. You in, or just yappin?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2018, 02:12:36 PM »
What we love me about Joseph is the d (pause). Happy to go $10 per category on: DR%, blk%, stl%. This year Traci v last year Chartouny. You in, or just yappin?

Posting for the money Incase we all get a chunk.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2018, 02:35:33 PM »
As I posted earlier, I hope Traci does well.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2018, 11:11:56 PM »

If it's the season I dream of, we see them first in the Elite 8. But it's tough. John might be strong enough to prevent Zion from going through him, though not sure he's quick enough. That puts Bailey on Barrett and Sam on Reddish. Or vice versa. Yeesht.

Honestly, I think you go zone. Theo or Matt in the middle told exclusively to be physical and guard the paint. Bailey to provide length. One of either Cain or Morrow on the floor at all times for rebounds. With Howard as the only little guy and so many long defenders, it's more realistic. Not sure it'd work, but I can't see a man scenario where we don't get eviscerated.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2018, 02:56:19 AM »
Problem is they can handle him on the post but he’s got the quickness of a guard as well as a serviceable outside shot and could easily breeze past Theo or Morrow if they had to guard him on the perimeter

I mean whack very literally not in the basketball sense
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2018, 05:12:15 AM »
If it's the season I dream of, we see them first in the Elite 8. But it's tough. John might be strong enough to prevent Zion from going through him, though not sure he's quick enough. That puts Bailey on Barrett and Sam on Reddish. Or vice versa. Yeesht.

Honestly, I think you go zone. Theo or Matt in the middle told exclusively to be physical and guard the paint. Bailey to provide length. One of either Cain or Morrow on the floor at all times for rebounds. With Howard as the only little guy and so many long defenders, it's more realistic. Not sure it'd work, but I can't see a man scenario where we don't get eviscerated.
I was thinking zone, also.    I would have started with Morrow on Zion if MU went man.   I honestly don't think there is anyone on MU's team with the lateral quickness to stay in front of him.   But Morrow has shown strength and toughness in the past so I would start with him.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2018, 09:21:13 AM »

I laid out my wager - across the board Joe C last year vs Traci C this year.  Joe put up some solid numbers that will be tough to beat, notably Steal % and Assist Rate.  Let's put $10 on every Pomeroy category.  As it relates to shooting categories - $10 per on both shooting percentage AND actual makes (FTs, 2pt FG, 3pt FG), and since eFG% reigns supreme and is the most important factor toward a team winning, let's wager $100 on eFG%

feedback