Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: College of Carroll Game Thread  (Read 12668 times)

nyg

• All American
Re: College of Carroll Game Thread
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2018, 08:36:52 PM »
Said earlier, no clue on Joe C outside shot.  He just had two wide opens, but just like paused and didn’t shoot.  Wide open.  Maybe first game jitters, but he needs to shoot those.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2018, 08:43:31 PM »
Said earlier, no clue on Joe C outside shot.  He just had two wide opens, but just like paused and didn’t shoot.  Wide open.  Maybe first game jitters, but he needs to shoot those.
Agreed. It might take a little bit with him to get fully acclimated but he's got great vision out there.

GoldenEagle323

• Team Captain
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2018, 09:04:32 PM »
Full box score??

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2018, 09:11:53 PM »
There's a reason why my sig has been what it is for so long. Joey is soooo legit. Only injuries can hold him back.

+1. Offensively he was very smooth - looked like our most polished and versatile player.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2018, 09:19:01 PM »
Joey's back-to-back scores in the first half -- a three in the corner and a turnaround jumper near the block -- were sweet.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2018, 07:16:55 AM »
Book it:  Rowsey is missed and our offense will take a significant step back this season.  This is a Division 3 team we are playing.

So what happened last year when we had a worse offensive game against Lindenwood?  Did our offense end up sucking?

You may end up being right,  but 5 minutes of an exhibition is not good evidence.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2018, 09:56:07 AM »
Joe C will be a much better defender than Rowsey, but he's a HUGE step back offensively.  No ability to breakdown a defender off the dribble, as could Rowsey.

He's better at putting the ball where it needs to be for shooters and is always looking to find teammates. He's not the scorer Rowsey was, but he will be a better offensive teammate for Howard and Hauser.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2018, 10:13:37 AM »
I don't think anyone thought that JC would be able to replace AR's offensive production.

He has been brought in to be a distributor and a defender.  I expect him to be better than AR in those roles.  (SIGNIFICANTLY better defensively.)

Marquette has plenty of offensive weapons.  Not concerned about scoring in the least.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2018, 10:30:58 AM »
The only place I think we'll see a difference in is late in shot clock situations.  I'm not sure anyone other than Howard has the ability to go and create a shot, and Howard has the tendency to drive head down into 5 people in the lane with no real plan other than throw something up and hope a foul is called.  Rowsey was great at leaving Howard and Hauser on the wings, calling for a high ball screen, and either finding a shot, getting a defender in the air and drawing a foul, or dishing for a late catch and shoot for a teammate.  The problem was he fell in love with that and would start doing that with Heldt setting a pick with 15 seconds left on the shot clock, would get blocked off, and then would reset and try it again, and again, and again until it WAS a late shot clock situation.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2018, 10:37:57 AM »
The only place I think we'll see a difference in is late in shot clock situations.  I'm not sure anyone other than Howard has the ability to go and create a shot, and Howard has the tendency to drive head down into 5 people in the lane with no real plan other than throw something up and hope a foul is called.  Rowsey was great at leaving Howard and Hauser on the wings, calling for a high ball screen, and either finding a shot, getting a defender in the air and drawing a foul, or dishing for a late catch and shoot for a teammate.  The problem was he fell in love with that and would start doing that with Heldt setting a pick with 15 seconds left on the shot clock, would get blocked off, and then would reset and try it again, and again, and again until it WAS a late shot clock situation.

The other (nitpicky) thing I hoped Markus would get better at this year is staying on his feet through contact.  Every damn time he slashes to the rim he ends up on his butt out of bounds.  This is terrible for 2 reasons - 1) he is completely out of position to play defense or get a rebound, and 2) he's going to hurt himself throwing himself on the floor consistently (which he has already dealt with hip and tailbone injuries from this).  Stay on your feet young man!
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2018, 10:39:07 AM »

Howard got more comfortable creating his own shot last year, and I expect he'll continue to  improve this year. But I think Sacar may still be better than him at this, and it looks like Joey will be able to create for himself as well. Bailey will probably get there too but still has some work to do (based on last night's performance).

With Chartouny's ability to distribute, and then having a few more guys who can get to the basket, we should have options this year that don't require us to rely so much on Markus forcing a shot.

feedback