Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: ACC Coming for MSG Too  (Read 3317 times)

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
ACC Coming for MSG Too
« on: October 26, 2018, 02:22:38 PM »
https://nypost.com/2018/10/26/big-east-tournament-gets-more-competition-for-msg-venue/

The B1G and ACC would be unable to commit to holding their respective tournaments yearly at Madison Square Garden, so they would need to hold semi-annual tournaments there (which is something that MSG doesn't want to do).  The Big East provides consistently strong attendance (sellouts in semifinals and finals), with strong fan bases (five programs within vicinity of NYC) and one of the most entertaining college tournaments around.

I would find it incredibly hard to believe MSG would kick out the Big East so as to eventually host Michigan State/Ohio State, or possibly even the Tobacco Road schools, in the finals.

GGGG

• All American
Re: ACC Coming for MSG Too
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 03:07:10 PM »
All a pretense to negotiations around when MSG can opt out in 2022.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 03:12:40 PM »
If it happens, it happens.  The BIG East can rotate to DC, Philadelphia, and Chicago / Indianapolis occasionally to appeal to other areas.  MSG is nice, but I will not lose my mind over it.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 03:34:17 PM »
Big East Tournament is the most well attended in the business. Until that changes, I'm not worried about losing MSG. It's easier to keep current customers than it is to gain new ones. MSG knows they have it good with the BET.

Now if they want to end their seasons early like the Big 10?11?14? did, then by all means.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 04:10:47 PM »
The B1G's East Coast tournaments have been absolute flops.  IIRC, the ACC's Brooklyn tournament was also a dud except for Jimmy Bs Army.  They are back this year to appease the Crumedgeon.  This is all Johnson Envy.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 04:37:25 PM »
If it happens, it happens.  The BIG East can rotate to DC, Philadelphia, and Chicago / Indianapolis occasionally to appeal to other areas.  MSG is nice, but I will not lose my mind over it.

Indianapolis? Barely bigger than Milwaukee and Cincinnati as far as DMA rank goes.

also did not realize how small Omaha was, it's below such massive cities as spokane, dayton, green bay and flint
Maigh Eo for Sam

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 06:55:10 PM »

Written by someone who hasn't got a clue.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 09:40:42 PM »
Big East will have to step up and pay more to the Dolans to stay at MSG. Big East will pound the table and say they are a long term tenant and point to the Johnnies taking certain amount of dates at the Garden, which in total may get them a slight discount.

Would be helpful to the Big East cause if Mullin and Ewing got their teams into the top tier of the league.

My guess is that Big Ten is lobbying to share the entire week with the Big East during the years they want to be on the East Coast.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2018, 12:01:47 AM »
Interesting article. Thanks for posting. The Big 10 averaged about 3,600 fewer fans per session (15,165) than the Big East (18,790), despite having a far bigger alumni base. Makes me wonder why the Big 10 wants to play in NY so badly.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 12:07:10 AM »
Interesting article. Thanks for posting. The Big 10 averaged about 3,600 fewer fans per session (15,165) than the Big East (18,790), despite having a far bigger alumni base. Makes me wonder why the Big 10 wants to play in NY so badly.
Their commissioner has the misguided notion that New York is the ultimate place for college basketball. NY is a pro sports town and always will be. That is why all the great NYC basketball players  went to the Big Ten or ACC or MU back in the glory days.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

feedback