[Today at 04:10:23 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Galway Eagle
[Today at 04:04:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo at media day  (Read 20614 times)

WarriorDad

• All American
Re: Wojo at media day
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2018, 07:35:52 PM »
Brian Wardle is the tailor-made replacement.

I hope not for two reasons.  Wojo at MU for a long time is priority one.  Why is Duke not going to attract a proven winner?  Kentucky went after Cal because he had won it all.  Louisville after Pitino, same reason. Ohio State for Urban Meyer, same reason.  North Carolina to Roy Williams.  Programs that big, need to score big hires.

Secondly, Brian Wardle?  Only if we struck out at least 5 other times with someone.  This is the Big East, not the Mid Continent.  He has done a good job rebuilding, but that is a different job scope entirely.  Never been to the NCAA tournament. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2018, 07:43:23 PM »
I hope not for two reasons.  Wojo at MU for a long time is priority one.  Why is Duke not going to attract a proven winner?  Kentucky went after Cal because he had won it all.  Louisville after Pitino, same reason. Ohio State for Urban Meyer, same reason.  North Carolina to Roy Williams.  Programs that big, need to score big hires.

Secondly, Brian Wardle?  Only if we struck out at least 5 other times with someone.  This is the Big East, not the Mid Continent.  He has done a good job rebuilding, but that is a different job scope entirely.  Never been to the NCAA tournament.

How many head coaches has MU hired that had previous NCAA Tournament appearances?

In my lifetime the answer is 0 I believe.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2018, 07:55:27 PM »
How many head coaches has MU hired that had previous NCAA Tournament appearances?

It isn't a prerequisite for me, only pointing out that fact. Eddie Hickey was the only one Mu ever hired that had gone to the tournament.  It was harder to make the NCAA tournament back then with only 16, then 24 teams.  Eventually 32.  There are more teams now then back in those days, but at least 100 of them have no conceivable shot of making the tournament unless they win their conference tournament.

If we continue on the path of assistants from major programs (Michigan State, Arizona, Duke) that has worked out.  The last two hires of head coaches from mid size programs, didn't work out.  Bob Dukiet and Mike Deane.  Though a guy named Al McGuire did, along with his NBA bonafides.

EDIT:  Mike Deane went to the tournament at Siena one time, too.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 10:12:04 PM by WarriorDad »
— Plato

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2018, 08:23:36 PM »
Relatively successful is who we would target?  Dare to to dream big.   :)

He took Green Bay from a middling Horizon team to the top of the league. His first Bradley team was sub-300, three years later they are projected just outside the top-100 and top-4 in the league. He hasn't finished the Bradley rebuild, but they could contend for the MVC as soon as this year and definitely by next year.

Relatively successful only because he's only through year 3 in the second rebuild. I'd take Wardle without question. He's a good coach and would also likely view MU as a destination job.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2018, 08:32:31 PM »
TJ Otzelberger would be worth a look.

I'm not sold on Wardle......yet.

If Wojo left I'd rather have Stan promoted.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2018, 08:38:07 PM »
I am assuming that Wardle continues to grow as a coach, and that Wojo wouldn't leave MU for a number of years. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2018, 08:59:29 PM »

Just for a moment lets say my scenario plays out. Wojo has a good year this year (s16), goes to the top of the coaching carousel and follows it up with another similar year and then Coach Izzo retires and Wojo gets that job. Now , whoever steps into MU at that point is inheriting something relatively strong. When Buzz vacated we had a lot of top flight coaches interested and I would expect the same thing to happen this time around. Although my preference would be for Stan to hang in with MU long enough to get the job when the time came. Unfortunately I think Stan will get picked up by someone next spring.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2018, 09:03:37 PM »
Brian Wardle is the tailor-made replacement.

Pass.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2018, 09:07:07 PM »

Tom Crean is another example

O yeah, he sure as chit is an example all write. An example of watt a playa, like #3, kan due four a bozo idiot, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2018, 09:13:11 PM »

O yeah, he sure as chit is an example all write. An example of watt a playa, like #3, kan due four a bozo idiot, aina?

I started laughing my ass off once I saw your name pop up and the post you were responding to. Knew it would be good. Did not disappoint.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2018, 09:15:21 PM »
I started laughing my ass off once I saw your name pop up and the post you were responding to. Knew it would be good. Did not disappoint.

If by “good” you mean “tired and predictable,” then yes.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2018, 09:17:41 PM »
Pontiff, ur just pissed ya threw up a 60 mph, non-breakin' fastball, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2018, 09:28:36 PM »
Pontiff, ur just pissed ya threw up a 60 mph, non-breakin' fastball, aina?

Nah. I knew you were going to say something and I knew it wouldn’t be funny.

I just don’t care.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2018, 09:39:44 PM »

Think Mike Deane had a couple at Sienna.

Ben Howland could have been hired.  Incidentally he has Mississippi State at 23 in pre-season Pomeroy and he started on the job one year later than Wojo at MU.

In other related news:
Shaka at Texas 15 (also started one-year after Wojo began at MU.)

Hard to believe Gard and Madison projected at 20 this upcoming year by Pomeroy.

Will be interesting to see how things play out this season.  For the first time in 5 years, there is consensus among the fanbase as to what the team should achieve.  Every poster projecting NCAA tournament, and not sure I've seen one projection that we LOSE our first round game of NCAA.

Top 32 or bust this season, so it seems.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2018, 10:05:29 PM »

Ben Howland could have been hired.  Incidentally he has Mississippi State at 23 in pre-season Pomeroy and he started on the job one year later than Wojo at MU.

In other related news:

Will be interesting to see how things play out this season.  For the first time in 5 years, there is consensus among the fanbase as to what the team should achieve.  Every poster projecting NCAA tournament, and not sure I've seen one projection that we LOSE our first round game of NCAA.

Preseason rankings are very important.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2018, 10:11:24 PM »

In other related news:

Mike Deane had one at Siena, I will edit my earlier response. 

Doesn't it depend who we play in that first round game, where it is, what the seeds are? 
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2018, 10:12:39 PM »

Like tators on a bull
— Plato

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2018, 01:21:38 AM »

Cal hadn't won it all before Kentucky. He lost to Kansas with Rose and lost in the Final Four with Camby.
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2018, 08:18:02 AM »
If I'm looking at a mid major coach, I place more on consistent league success than NCAA appearances. When you're in a one bid league, a few lucky breaks can turn a marginal coach into the next big thing. How did Ohio's success propel John Groce? Did Dunk City allow Andy Enfield to lift USC above their perennial bubble team life?

I prefer a mid major coach that can build and sustain over one that can catch lightning in a bottle. If in 3-5 years Wojo leaves and Wardle has Bradley regularly in the top 3-4 of the MVC, that's the kind of coach I'd want, with or without the crapshoot of NCAA success.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2018, 08:28:15 AM »
If I'm looking at a mid major coach, I place more on consistent league success than NCAA appearances. When you're in a one bid league, a few lucky breaks can turn a marginal coach into the next big thing. How did Ohio's success propel John Groce? Did Dunk City allow Andy Enfield to lift USC above their perennial bubble team life?

I prefer a mid major coach that can build and sustain over one that can catch lightning in a bottle. If in 3-5 years Wojo leaves and Wardle has Bradley regularly in the top 3-4 of the MVC, that's the kind of coach I'd want, with or without the crapshoot of NCAA success.

Agree completely.  The ability to build and sustain a program is the most important thing to look for in a coach. 

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2018, 10:06:03 AM »

No doubt.  The topic is dominating Scoop at present.

P.S. - Your sarcasm was noted.  But, clearly we are a starved fanbase.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #71 on: October 22, 2018, 10:28:10 AM »

On the other hand, Mike Deane was a mid major coach that built and sustained at Siena.
Recruiting is 80 percent of your success in college hoops, and Marquette has been most successful when choosing a coach who had a record of recruiting success at a major conference program (i.e. O'Neill, Crean, Buzz), as opposed to hiring a guy with sustained success on a lower level (Dukiet, Deane).

🏀

• All American
« Reply #72 on: October 22, 2018, 12:22:10 PM »
On the other hand, Mike Deane was a mid major coach that built and sustained at Siena.
Recruiting is 80 percent of your success in college hoops, and Marquette has been most successful when choosing a coach who had a record of recruiting success at a major conference program (i.e. O'Neill, Crean, Buzz), as opposed to hiring a guy with sustained success on a lower level (Dukiet, Deane).

This is what I came here to say. I want the highly regarded recruiting assistant (or associate head coach) over the mid-major builder.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2018, 12:35:20 PM »
I want the guy they determine to be the best fit. Jim Larranaga did fine as a mid-major builder. Bill Self did even better after starting at Oral Roberts and Tulsa.

If Wardle keeps Bradley in the mix, and especially if he does add some postseason success, he'd be a natural fit. That said, if Wojo ends up here for 25 years, I'm fine with that too, because that only happens with sustained success.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2018, 12:38:40 PM »
This is what I came here to say. I want the highly regarded recruiting assistant (or associate head coach) over the mid-major builder.
That man's name is Stan Johnson....
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

feedback