[Today at 06:55:33 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Nukem2
[Today at 04:02:06 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Mustapha cleared...  (Read 12566 times)

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
Mustapha cleared...
« on: September 26, 2018, 05:10:28 PM »
Johnnies gonna be good!
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Mustapha cleared...
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 05:33:46 PM »
Wow, that's shocking. Didn't seem like there was any reason for him to be approved. Seems likely, though. Ponds posted it on his Instagram, but subsequently deleted it.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 05:48:07 PM »
Anyone have a source other than a deleted Instagram post?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 05:49:44 PM »
Wow, that's shocking. Didn't seem like there was any reason for him to be approved. Seems likely, though. Ponds posted it on his Instagram, but subsequently deleted it.

There was another one just over a week ago at UNI I was familiar with... when that one got approved, it became apparent there was a good chance for Heron. NCAA has basically said, “screw the bylaws as written and screw what we said a few years ago, we’re doing it differently this year”

<shrug>

If we needed** Koby I’d go after it, but the roster is filled to the brim as is
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 06:39:52 PM »
Weird. Guess the last thing to expect from the NCAA is consistency. Interestingly, now not only did Ponds delete his IG post, but the first outlet to report it on Twitter citing the deleted post (and they did note the deletion) also deleted their tweet. Maybe it's not done yet?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 07:07:42 PM »
Weird. Guess the last thing to expect from the NCAA is consistency. Interestingly, now not only did Ponds delete his IG post, but the first outlet to report it on Twitter citing the deleted post (and they did note the deletion) also deleted their tweet. Maybe it's not done yet?

Or Chrissy and Co got mad at the bois for spouting off about it.

I do fear we're very near the world of 'transfer and play immediately, anyone, for any reason'. Don't like it.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 11:39:01 PM »
I did not hear itfrom a Ponds tweet.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 11:49:55 PM »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2018, 12:23:43 AM »
Latest word from Heron himself is that he is not cleared. Could be a smokescreen because he or the school want to do an official release. Think MSK is correct and this gets done.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2018, 12:08:18 PM »
There was another one just over a week ago at UNI I was familiar with... when that one got approved, it became apparent there was a good chance for Heron. NCAA has basically said, “screw the bylaws as written and screw what we said a few years ago, we’re doing it differently this year”

<shrug>

If we needed** Koby I’d go after it, but the roster is filled to the brim as is

A few years ago the NCAA got rid of any waivers except for extreme mitigation (some approved were where there was retaliation against a player who defended her coach against allegations by her teammates). The main reason was abuse by schools in seeking these waivers. Part of the idea too was "if you have to move closer to him because mom has cancer and needs to be driven to treatment then playing sports your first year isn't the best thing for you to be doing."

The NCAA, however, peeled back on those based on what they have seen over that time and decided that in legitimate cases like the UNI kid (claim was that mom moved with him to Cali but dad could not because of health issues so they had to move back) and, possibly Heron (I don't know full details) they'd be flexible once again.  There has to be mitigation though.

Sorry, but Milwaukee isn't close enough to Toronto even if there were health or family issues (which there are not) for McEwen.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2018, 12:37:12 PM »
A few years ago the NCAA got rid of any waivers except for extreme mitigation (some approved were where there was retaliation against a player who defended her coach against allegations by her teammates). The main reason was abuse by schools in seeking these waivers. Part of the idea too was "if you have to move closer to him because mom has cancer and needs to be driven to treatment then playing sports your first year isn't the best thing for you to be doing."

The NCAA, however, peeled back on those based on what they have seen over that time and decided that in legitimate cases like the UNI kid (claim was that mom moved with him to Cali but dad could not because of health issues so they had to move back) and, possibly Heron (I don't know full details) they'd be flexible once again.  There has to be mitigation though.

Sorry, but Milwaukee isn't close enough to Toronto even if there were health or family issues (which there are not) for McEwen.

You’ve got the UNI facts wrong, but yeah, the medical claim for Heron is more difficult but there could be other angles or something as goofy as “flights back are much cheaper!”

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2018, 05:23:46 PM »
You’ve got the UNI facts wrong, but yeah, the medical claim for Heron is more difficult but there could be other angles or something as goofy as “flights back are much cheaper!”

The Courier says otherwise.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2018, 10:50:23 AM »
The Courier says otherwise.

No it doesn’t. You misread. His dad isn’t a part of the story, bud.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2018, 08:58:25 PM »
Jay Wright on The Johnnies...
https://nypost.com/2018/10/01/why-jay-wright-is-buying-into-the-st-johns-hype/

Also it is good news for the Big East that The Post has started following St. Johns in depth again.
            ---Al McGuire

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2018, 01:26:42 AM »
Jay Wright on The Johnnies...
https://nypost.com/2018/10/01/why-jay-wright-is-buying-into-the-st-johns-hype/

Also it is good news for the Big East that The Post has started following St. Johns in depth again.

Always got a kick out of the dichotomy of Posts and Times.....the elite and liberal Washington Post/New York Times and its more tabloid-esque bros Washington Times/ New York Post. Still think the powers that be aren't playing us all?

Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2018, 10:09:17 AM »
Always got a kick out of the dichotomy of Posts and Times.....the elite and liberal Washington Post/New York Times and its more tabloid-esque bros Washington Times/ New York Post. Still think the powers that be aren't playing us all?

Back in the pre internet day, people used to read the WSJ and NY Times on the train ride in and then the Post afternoon edition on the ride home. Page six was a must. 
            ---Al McGuire

nyg

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2018, 08:43:17 AM »
Per Evan Daniels, he is clear to play. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
            ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2018, 10:09:23 AM »
Will definitely make the Johnnies a tougher out. Have to think they probably are a top-half team in the league now.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2018, 10:16:24 AM »
Wasn't St. John's defense almost as bad as ours?
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2018, 10:22:03 AM »
Wasn't St. John's defense almost as bad as ours?

No.  They were elite defensivly. Their offense was almost as bad as our defense
TAMU

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2018, 02:43:13 PM »
Umm told you.  This has been know for a while now.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2018, 02:45:27 PM »
Will definitely make the Johnnies a tougher out. Have to think they probably are a top-half team in the league now.

More like favorite.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2018, 02:51:44 PM »
Best quote I've heard about this. "With Heron getting cleared they've got four really good players. Problem is all four think they're the best player."

I've got SJU as the 3rd best team in the BEast. They have enough talent to win it but I'm not sure how all the pieces fit together. I could see a nightmare scenario for them where they end up in the NIT despite NCAA level talent because of balance and coaching. We'll see.  I think we split the season series with them with the home team winning big in each game. Too bad if true,  I'm tired of losing Big East openers.
TAMU

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2018, 03:28:53 PM »
Best quote I've heard about this. "With Heron getting cleared they've got four really good players. Problem is all four think they're the best player."

I've got SJU as the 3rd best team in the BEast. They have enough talent to win it but I'm not sure how all the pieces fit together. I could see a nightmare scenario for them where they end up in the NIT despite NCAA level talent because of balance and coaching. We'll see.  I think we split the season series with them with the home team winning big in each game. Too bad if true,  I'm tired of losing Big East openers.
Mullins is a very competitive guy. With these key pieces in place he will make sure the players work toward the greater good. If they don’t play together and everyone starts chucking , the scenario you outline is definitely possible.
            ---Al McGuire

feedback