[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2018-19 Concerns  (Read 10254 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: 2018-19 Concerns
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2018, 04:18:54 PM »
Better at scoring himself, or better for the team?  How many passes into the post did Markus have last year?  I remember the majority of them coming from Greg or Sam.  There's been a lot of talk about the quality and depth of our frontcourt for next year, but they won't be very good if they never get the ball. 

You said it yourself that a concern is balanced scoring, and we'll be a lot more balanced if Markus doesn't take 15 shots per game again this year.  Less likely he does that (or even if he does they'd be better shots) if he isn't running point at all.

TAMU sums up my point of view nicely.  Furthermore, Greg had turnover problems last year - worse than even Markus' problems his freshman year.

Here is what Wojo said when Markus was invited to the CP3 Elite Guard camp this summer:

“We need him to be a leader,” Wojciechowski said. “He’s an upperclassman now. He’s been thrown into the fire as a very young player. We expect this year to be the best year he’s had.”

Without fellow sharpshooting guard Andrew Rowsey, Wojciechowski expects Howard to assume many traditional point guard responsibilities.

“It puts more responsibility on Markus’ plate in terms of not only scoring, which he obviously does on an elite level, but being a distributor and a primary decision maker as well,” Wojciechowski said.

https://marquettewire.org/3993610/sports/markus-howard-embraces-unbelievable-opportunity-to-attend-chris-paul-elite-guard-camp/

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2018, 04:29:34 PM »
I don't have any concerns for the coming season. I really like the team as configured. I am very bullish on the entire sophomore group who are very athletic. Greg Elliott especially, who is the type of competitor the coaches will want on the floor as much as possible.

We have a team full of guys who will do whatever it takes to win. With two plus plus shooters in Markus and Sam we are going to be a formidable foe for most opponents.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2018, 04:32:05 PM »
I think this team will be great going into semester then we'll lose two guys to transfer and another to injury. we then watch us do decent but not great and make scoop threads on what could've been
Maigh Eo for Sam

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2018, 04:35:53 PM »

TAMU sums up my point of view nicely.  Furthermore, Greg had turnover problems last year - worse than even Markus' problems his freshman year.

Here is what Wojo said when Markus was invited to the CP3 Elite Guard camp this summer:

“We need him to be a leader,” Wojciechowski said. “He’s an upperclassman now. He’s been thrown into the fire as a very young player. We expect this year to be the best year he’s had.”

Without fellow sharpshooting guard Andrew Rowsey, Wojciechowski expects Howard to assume many traditional point guard responsibilities.

“It puts more responsibility on Markus’ plate in terms of not only scoring, which he obviously does on an elite level, but being a distributor and a primary decision maker as well,” Wojciechowski said.

https://marquettewire.org/3993610/sports/markus-howard-embraces-unbelievable-opportunity-to-attend-chris-paul-elite-guard-camp/
Greg was hurt, Greg was a Freshman.  That combo will lead to turnovers.

Just because Markus can play point does not mean that it is best for the team.  Sam could probably play point better than just about every 6-8 player in the country, but it's not his best position.  Markus' best position is off the ball, so he should play off the ball.

The two biggest complaints about Markus that I had last year were too much hero ball, and being part of a poor defensive guard combination, that combo doesn't scream PG.

The two biggest complaints about Greg that I had last year were lack of strength, and being too passive. 

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2018, 04:41:36 PM »

Just because Markus can play point does not mean that it is best for the team.  Sam could probably play point better than just about every 6-8 player in the country, but it's not his best position.  Markus' best position is off the ball, so he should play off the ball.

The two biggest complaints about Markus that I had last year were too much hero ball, and being part of a poor defensive guard combination, that combo doesn't scream PG.

The two biggest complaints about Greg that I had last year were lack of strength, and being too passive.

If Markus ever wants to go to the next level, he has to become an elite point guard.  I expect big growth in that area this year.  Also, in the videos I have see so far
he has gotten stronger (can dunk) so getting stronger should make him a better defender.  We will see.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2018, 04:45:27 PM »
If Markus ever wants to go to the next level, he has to become an elite point guard.  I expect big growth in that area this year.  Also, in the videos I have see so far
he has gotten stronger (can dunk) so getting stronger should make him a better defender.  We will see.

I don't disagree, but I also think the only thing on his mind is getting the most wins possible this season, and not how that might effect his draft stock.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2018, 04:45:39 PM »
Not concerned with this team at all right now as long as everyone is healthy.  Might be the one of the highest IQ and skilled teams MU has put on the floor and I do think the defense will improve.

Sit back and enjoy.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2018, 05:02:54 PM »

Well I trust Wojo and will just see how it plays out. He seems to think Markus can play point and that it will benefit the team for him to do so.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2018, 05:16:43 PM »
This summer, Markus Howard was one of 23 college players to attend Chris Paul's CP3 Elite Camp.

A year ago, he focused on finishing at the rim -- doubling his 2-point attempts while improving his 2PT% from 45.4% to 53.3%. He also reduced his TORate from 20.5% to 15.7%.

I expect to see a similar evolutionary improvement in his game this season. He talked about that after the team's first practice at the new arena:

"I was trying to have a point guard's mind-set going into practice, trying to find my guys...I didn't really shoot as much but I felt that I was hitting my guys in the right spots, running the offense really well. Trying to get into the defense and kick."

He also talked about what he took away from the CP3 camp:

"My decision-making, trying to be better with the ball in my hands, pick-and-roll situations, trying to find my guys in good spots."

Markus will likely start at the 2 and play off the ball much of the season. But there's no question in my mind that he'll play the point and run the offense, as well.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/marquette/2018/08/08/marquettes-markus-howard-talks-chris-paul-camp/934116002/
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 05:19:07 PM by Marcus92 »
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2018, 05:17:22 PM »
Not concerned with this team at all right now as long as everyone is healthy.  Might be the one of the highest IQ and skilled teams MU has put on the floor and I do think the defense will improve.

Sit back and enjoy.

This is exactly where I'm at. Feels nice!

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2018, 07:34:32 PM »
Goal is National Championship

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2018, 08:13:20 PM »

5. A player yawns briefly during the national anthem. Under the new amendment to the U.S. Constitution, our team is immediately disbanded.

6. Resistance discovers one of our manager's uncles voted for Trump. Bomb destroys AL, season cancelled.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2018, 10:06:02 PM »
6. Resistance discovers one of our manager's uncles voted for Trump. Bomb destroys AL, season cancelled.

That's morose. And let the record show I never mentioned the Unindicted Co-Conspirator In Chief! The president can't pass a constitutional amendment.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2018, 10:21:50 PM »
That's morose. And let the record show I never mentioned the Unindicted Co-Conspirator In Chief! The president can't pass a constitutional amendment.

LOL. Nobody was hurt by the bomb, maybe it was an accident.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 10:36:54 PM by Lennys Tap »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2018, 12:02:04 AM »
How much do we beat Kansas by

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2018, 01:26:17 AM »
1.  Beer price
2.  TV coverage and horrible announcers
3.  Stan leaves
4.  K kicks it and Wojo leaves
5.  somebody important transfers
6.  Earthquakes, hurricanes, floods, tornadoes, landslides
7.  Police brutality
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2018, 07:36:47 AM »
1.  Beer price
3.  Stan leaves
4.  K kicks it and Wojo leaves
5.  somebody important transfers
6.  Earthquakes, hurricanes, floods, tornadoes, landslides
7.  Police brutality

And that's just the opening game.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2018, 09:11:31 AM »
I think the two biggest "concerns" for me are:
-How healthy will we be all seasons. We can absorb some injuries, especially in the front court, but our high ceiling is really predicated in the volume and versatility of our talent. Injuries could impact that
-Can Wojo really coach. I think he can, but we don't know for sure. Everything about this season is how does Wojo utilize the various weapons he has, make adjustments to other teams, and maximize the roster potential. The roster is such that we can play just about any style of basketball we want, the question is will Wojo make the right decisions.

My overall concern level is somewhere around PBRs at the Red Dot on a scale of free to cost of beer at the FF.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2018, 09:39:55 AM »
-How healthy will we be all seasons. We can absorb some injuries, especially in the front court, but our high ceiling is really predicated in the volume and versatility of our talent. Injuries could impact that
-Can Wojo really coach. I think he can, but we don't know for sure. Everything about this season is how does Wojo utilize the various weapons he has, make adjustments to other teams, and maximize the roster potential. The roster is such that we can play just about any style of basketball we want, the question is will Wojo make the right decisions.

My overall concern level is somewhere around PBRs at the Red Dot on a scale of free to cost of beer at the FF.

Damn that's low!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2018, 10:07:15 AM »

Extremely reasonable. If we are healthy and if Wojo takes the next step as a coach (as I think he will), we should be darn good.

Yes, I think my single biggest concern is how often I will have to listen to inane ramblings of the worst basketball announcer ever, one LuBara Dixon Simpkins.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2018, 10:35:09 AM »
If you all would read the Superbar once in a while, you wouldn't forget these big ones:

1. Lots of Scoop babies. How will they impact the viewing experience?

2. Lots of Scoopers cutting cable. Will our streams drop out at key moments?

2a. Lots of old Scoopers. Will their streams turn into trickles and keep them in the bathroom past TV timeouts?

fjm

• All American
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2018, 10:37:17 AM »
If you all would read the Superbar once in a while, you wouldn't forget these big ones:

1. Lots of Scoop babies. How will they impact the viewing experience?

2. Lots of Scoopers cutting cable. Will our streams drop out at key moments?

2a. Lots of old Scoopers. Will their streams turn into trickles and keep them in the bathroom past TV timeouts?

Cutting out streams are. Of great concern to me.

Babies not so much. My dog holds it really well and stays in her yard.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2018, 12:03:42 PM »
Cutting out streams are. Of great concern to me.

Babies not so much. My dog holds it really well and stays in her yard.

My primary concern is walking my dog after dark.

I feel unsafe in my own neighborhood.
It wasn't always this way, only the last several years.
My head is constantly on a swivel for the danger that lurks in every shadow.
And it seems like the ones causing all the trouble have only grown more and more brazen.

Seriously, my neighborhood is LOUSY with skunks.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

fjm

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2018, 12:31:13 PM »
My primary concern is walking my dog after dark.

I feel unsafe in my own neighborhood.
It wasn't always this way, only the last several years.
My head is constantly on a swivel for the danger that lurks in every shadow.
And it seems like the ones causing all the trouble have only grown more and more brazen.

Haha that was very solid. Good build up.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2018, 02:12:20 PM »
My dogs got skunked a couple of months ago.
In my backyard.
At 2:30am.

Turns out your options for purchasing tomato juice at 3:00am are somewhat limited.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.