[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Use of VPN to watch TV abroad?  (Read 5104 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Use of VPN to watch TV abroad?
« on: September 12, 2018, 12:18:35 PM »
Has anybody done this before? Which ones work and how? I'd like to be able to watch some MU games and Blackhawks games this year.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
Re: Use of VPN to watch TV abroad?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 01:22:30 PM »
I don't know if it works abroad (I suspect it would) but I've been using Torguard for a couple of years now with no problems. Just log into Torguard and then surf the net as usual. I pay $30/year for Torguard.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 03:01:54 PM »
Find a buddy stateside who has decent upload speeds and buy him a new router that has VPN server support.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 10:00:45 PM »
If that's all you'd be using the VPN for (wink-nod), then I would suggest against it. If you use the Google Chrome browser, there is a free extension called "Manual Geolocation" that has worked for me over the last ~year while traveling abroad, or in blackout areas within the US. You used to need to make some under-the-hood changes to spoof your geolocation, and maybe some day you will again but as of right now, this method works nicely.

There is no reason to pay a fee for a VPN unless you need to obfuscate what you're doing... Although these services have greatly improved over the years, it still results in a decrease in performance, especially if you are connecting to a server that is on the other side of the planet.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 10:38:07 PM by D'Lo Brown »

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 10:19:53 PM »
Galway, I've been doing this for years in China, Indonesia, Russia, etc.  I use PIA (private internet access) vpn and actually bought from them a VPN router which is in series with my standard router.  I run my appletv on this router and it pretty much thinks it's in new york city.  Directv Now just started blocking VPN (as does netflix) BUT all of the individual apps on apple tv such as espn, nbc sports, fox sports, etc. all work using the DirectvNow login, so I keep a DirectvNow subscription but use it only to enable the apps.  Ironically, it works fine on my iphone and my computer on which I also use PIA.

There are other ways and some nuances as well.  Feel free to PM me for more details. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 07:16:31 AM »
If you use the Google Chrome browser, there is a free extension called "Manual Geolocation" that has worked for me over the last ~year while traveling abroad, or in blackout areas within the US. You used to need to make some under-the-hood changes to spoof your geolocation, and maybe some day you will again but as of right now, this method works nicely.

Awesome extension, had no idea that existed.  It spoofs the browser's location .. unique concept!

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/manual-geolocation/jpiefjlgcjmciajdcinaejedejjfjgki?hl=en

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 04:56:22 PM »
Check to see how your company routes their VPN traffic...they might be dumb enough to route it back to the states  ;)

I am not responsible for your termination for violation of Acceptable Use policies

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 12:40:22 AM »
Check to see how your company routes their VPN traffic...they might be dumb enough to route it back to the states  ;)

I am not responsible for your termination for violation of Acceptable Use policies

Hahaha unfortunately my university does not do such a thing
Maigh Eo for Sam

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 01:28:29 AM »
Awesome extension, had no idea that existed.  It spoofs the browser's location .. unique concept!

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/manual-geolocation/jpiefjlgcjmciajdcinaejedejjfjgki?hl=en

Oh awesome. Getting that now. I’ve used Windscribe as both a plug-in and desktop app, as well as on my phone. 10 free GB a month but it doesn’t always count streaming the same way so I’ve never had a limit issue

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 03:16:30 AM »

Not working for me, reviews are indicating the code is outdated.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 03:21:27 AM »
Galway, I've been doing this for years in China, Indonesia, Russia, etc.  I use PIA (private internet access) vpn and actually bought from them a VPN router which is in series with my standard router.  I run my appletv on this router and it pretty much thinks it's in new york city.  Directv Now just started blocking VPN (as does netflix) BUT all of the individual apps on apple tv such as espn, nbc sports, fox sports, etc. all work using the DirectvNow login, so I keep a DirectvNow subscription but use it only to enable the apps.  Ironically, it works fine on my iphone and my computer on which I also use PIA.

There are other ways and some nuances as well.  Feel free to PM me for more details.

PM'd
Maigh Eo for Sam

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 02:32:55 PM »
PM'd

I've use IPVanish now for about a year. Works really well. DirecTV Now does not block VPN's if you VPN back to your billing zip code. Just last week I was able to watch it from Berlin when I set my VPN to Chicago.

I would say an easier thing would be to use PS Vue - they do not block any VPN's. Friends of mine had a 6mo stint in Zurich and they were able to watch anything so long as the VPN pointed back to the states.

I like IPVanish since it has a FireTV app you can just install that moves you around. I also got a year for $40. Worth it for me.

I have also used Express VPN when I was traveling to China more with good results.

But I like to throw handfuls...

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2018, 03:14:26 PM »
Piper — Is there any manner of pay option whatsoever to get the channels/programs you’re looking for?  Or are channels like FS1 and NHL network not even available in Eire?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2018, 03:13:47 AM »
Piper — Is there any manner of pay option whatsoever to get the channels/programs you’re looking for?  Or are channels like FS1 and NHL network not even available in Eire?

Not that I have seen. Have the direct tv app though so figured a vpn would be best
Maigh Eo for Sam

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2018, 09:35:43 AM »
More comments on PSVue .. I thought that they would block *some* channels if it detected you were not watching while connected to your home network.   I remember trying to watch something at work (probably march madness) and it showed the message I couldn't view that channel from my location.  -- Maybe they changed that?

That being said .. PSVue also gives you access to all the various apps for dozens of channels .. FoxsportsGO, ESPN, HGTV, etc, etc.    AFAIK, those apps never check what network you're on. -- Although I've never tried it out of the US, which then would need a VPN.

Shawn44

• Walk-On
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2018, 06:03:19 AM »
I have been using it from a long time, and VPN does work for accessing the content which is not accessible from that region. As I access Bt sports by using UK VPN Server to watch Europ leagues from the USA. You can also watch anything from anywhere by using a Virtual private network, change the IP server and connect that's it.
Tech Geek

patrickjburt

• Walk-On
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2018, 04:10:39 AM »
I live in Birmingham so I normally use iPlayer without any vpn, but I was in a situation were I needed to use  PureVPN for it yesterday. I’m definitely interested in one of these VPN services, but was just wondering how to get around the BBC iPlayer signing in issue?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2018, 04:38:30 AM »
I live in Birmingham so I normally use iPlayer without any vpn, but I was in a situation were I needed to use  PureVPN for it yesterday. I’m definitely interested in one of these VPN services, but was just wondering how to get around the BBC iPlayer signing in issue?

Does that show live sports?
Maigh Eo for Sam

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2018, 01:57:11 PM »
Sorry, I just realized the above posts. The Chrome extension is called Location Guard (Manual Geolocation was the app I used to use). Very simple to change your geolocation, and free. Again, if you are just trying to change your location for streaming purposes, no reason at all to pay for a VPN - this would only be needed if you are doing stuff you need to hide.

That said, if you are doing illicit things on the internet and you don't already use a VPN to do so, you're a fool.

The extension can be downloaded here:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/location-guard/cfohepagpmnodfdmjliccbbigdkfcgia?hl=en

Under Options tab, set the Default Level to "Use Fixed Location". Then go to the Fixed Location tab and set where you want your geolocation to be.