collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Wild---Past Tense  (Read 9046 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Wild---Past Tense
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2018, 08:17:39 AM »
This is why you never erect memorials to living people. Just dumb

LOL. You're only safe (smart) if you build them for the dead - Robert E Lee, for example.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2018, 08:47:00 AM »
I don't think theres any new information coming out. I think the recent attention from the grand jury made Father Wild realized that it either only be a matter of time before someone questioned why his name was on the building. As Lloyds said,  better to rip it off now (and yourself) then to have someone else do it later.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2018, 08:48:20 AM »
LOL. You're only safe (smart) if you build them for the dead - Robert E Lee, for example.

Well,  building monuments for traitors and enemy combatants is dumb.

I wouldn't consider naming a building after a living person dumb but it is slightly more risky. Of course there's always a chance new information comes out even if the person is dead.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 09:09:09 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2018, 09:10:46 AM »
Well,  building monuments for traitors and enemy combatants is also dumb.

For 150 years the History books were pretty kind to Robert E Lee. He's only become a "traitor" in the last few. Moral - don't build monuments to anyone, heroism and treason are in the eye of the beholder.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2018, 09:26:05 AM »
For 150 years the History books were pretty kind to Robert E Lee. He's only become a "traitor" in the last few. Moral - don't build monuments to anyone, heroism and treason are in the eye of the beholder.

Incorrect. By definition he was a traitor and enemy combatant 150 years ago and is still one today. The history books being kind to him is another example of dumb.

To be clear, I'm not the advocating that Lee be portrayed as some kind of monster in the history books. He was a military genius who led the armies of an enemy that attacked the United States. But I don't think he should have parks and schools  named after him any more than Hideki Tojo,  Benedict Arnold,  or Santa Anna should.
TAMU

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2018, 09:29:16 AM »

What?  The history book I always read as a youth pretty much painted Lee for what he was.  A general representing a country that attempted to secede from the US because they wanted to continue to own people.  And he lost.  I'm not sure he was labelled a "traitor," but it certainly wasn't "pretty kind."

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2018, 10:29:45 AM »

What?  The history book I always read as a youth pretty much painted Lee for what he was.  A general representing a country that attempted to secede from the US because they wanted to continue to own people.  And he lost.  I'm not sure he was labelled a "traitor," but it certainly wasn't "pretty kind."
Then the school books you read were a lot more balanced than the ones I read.  I have to agree with Lenny, I remember him not only being depicted as a military genius, but as a man who only reluctantly went along with the South despite great moral reservations--which doesn't appear to have been the actual case at all. 

Just goes back to who was writing the history books when I was growing up.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2018, 11:05:30 AM »
I was voraciously into Civil War history as a kid and young adult (been to every battlefield and even had a subscription to Civil War Times Illustrated for a while). How Lee and other "noble" Confederate leaders was treated was based entirely upon the regional experience of the author(s). The whole noble cause/states rights stuff was wallpapering to make everyone in the south more sympathetic and to cover over the huge atrocity that was going to war so they could continue their "peculiar institution".

Lee is traditionally painted as a reluctant warrior who only turned traitor when Virginia seceded because it was his "home" which may have been true but that doesn't account for the fact that his home was fighting for slavery and by extension so was he. You want a hero, we should honor George Thomas, a Virginian who didn't turn traitor, and became a decorated general for the Union.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2018, 11:07:59 AM »

That's a different mistake.

Building monuments to the living, especially in this day and age just invites trouble. I'd honestly argue that I'd give a 20 year waiting period before naming something after someone, especially if it's prominent one. But I'm also a guy who thinks naming buildings after people is somewhat weird so I'm probably the wrong one.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2018, 11:56:32 AM »
Disagree, gotta wait 5 years ta judge, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2018, 12:31:32 PM »
Building monuments to the living, especially in this day and age just invites trouble. I'd honestly argue that I'd give a 20 year waiting period before naming something after someone, especially if it's prominent one. But I'm also a guy who thinks naming buildings after people is somewhat weird so I'm probably the wrong one.

Case in point...

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2018, 12:40:02 PM »
even had a subscription to Civil War Times Illustrated for a while.

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2018, 04:11:12 PM »

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2018, 06:38:22 PM »
wow, stunned at that news.  Will this tarnish Father Wild's legacy?  I was at MU when DiUlio resigned and the future direction of the school was in question. Father Wild saved MU, IMO, and his leadership was vital to the success of the entire athletic department.  Hell, he signed off on Wade after Crean lobbied for him to be admitted as a partial qualifier.

I was happy to see MU name the new dorm after him.  I think most of our buildings, outside of the Al and Raynor Library, are named after donors. Will a donor step up to put their name on the building?  God forbid they sell corporate naming rights!  That said, I'm not going to laud Father Wild as courageous and brave for this, I agree that he is probably getting out ahead of some worse news that is likely coming.

At least this isn't the most embarrassing example of having to pull a name off a building.  Missouri had the change the name of their arena (Paige Events Center) after the donor's daughter (who didn't even go to Mizzou) was outed as having paid her roommate to do her work at USC. Oh, and there's also the old Joe Paterno Child Care Center on the Nike corporate campus.  Could be worse.....
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2018, 06:46:12 PM »
wow, stunned at that news.  Will this tarnish Father Wild's legacy?  I was at MU when DiUlio resigned and the future direction of the school was in question. Father Wild saved MU, IMO, and his leadership was vital to the success of the entire athletic department.  Hell, he signed off on Wade after Crean lobbied for him to be admitted as a partial qualifier.

I was happy to see MU name the new dorm after him.  I think most of our buildings, outside of the Al and Raynor Library, are named after donors. Will a donor step up to put their name on the building?  God forbid they sell corporate naming rights!  That said, I'm not going to laud Father Wild as courageous and brave for this, I agree that he is probably getting out ahead of some worse news that is likely coming.

At least this isn't the most embarrassing example of having to pull a name off a building.  Missouri had the change the name of their arena (Paige Events Center) after the donor's daughter (who didn't even go to Mizzou) was outed as having paid her roommate to do her work at USC. Oh, and there's also the old Joe Paterno Child Care Center on the Nike corporate campus.  Could be worse.....

They did have a donor. It was the Ecksteins. They specifically requested that the dorm be named after Father Wild.
Have some patience, FFS.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2018, 07:22:09 PM »
Dey didn't no dis 2 weeks ago when Fr. Wild posed like a proud peecock in front of da dorm. Somethin's rotten in Denmark, hey?

makes one wonder if MU wrote the whole $cript, eyn'a?  ;)
don't...don't don't don't don't

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2018, 08:09:07 PM »

I agree with this analysis. I'd be totally OK without buildings having "naming rights".

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2018, 12:34:16 AM »
They did have a donor. It was the Ecksteins. They specifically requested that the dorm be named after Father Wild.

Just as the Raynor Library donor, which is why I referenced it.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2018, 03:56:37 PM »
I chuckled when the dorm was named after Fr. Wild.  We called him Wild Bob Wild when he was a professor.  A great image for a freshman dorm.  This nickname had nothing to do with current circumstances.

I thought very highly of Fr. Wild's tenure as President.  To bad he is caught up in the mess that is the current Catholic Church.  Maybe Lovell is right by disconnecting MU from Catholicism.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2018, 11:19:34 AM »
Still catching up on my weekend reading, (was on the road) and came across this article that I didn't see discussed here:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/education/2018/09/07/challenging-times-former-marquette-university-presidents/1216787002/

1.  I'm shocked to learn that Pilarz has ALS.  Certainly not a fan, but that's an awful way to die.
2.  Someone remind me what his "off the record" issues were--I seem to recall that he was rumored to have his own Weakland type problems. 
Ludum habemus.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2018, 12:25:47 PM »
Still catching up on my weekend reading, (was on the road) and came across this article that I didn't see discussed here:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/education/2018/09/07/challenging-times-former-marquette-university-presidents/1216787002/

1.  I'm shocked to learn that Pilarz has ALS.  Certainly not a fan, but that's an awful way to die.
2.  Someone remind me what his "off the record" issues were--I seem to recall that he was rumored to have his own Weakland type problems.

I've never heard anything about Weakland type problems with Father Pilarz.  From what I heard, his problems were alienating donors and being a pompous ass and financial malfeasance.

And yes, ALS is an awful way to go.  Two relatives suffered from ALS. horrible.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2018, 04:12:10 PM »
I've never heard anything about Weakland type problems with Father Pilarz.  From what I heard, his problems were alienating donors and being a pompous ass and financial malfeasance.

And yes, ALS is an awful way to go.  Two relatives suffered from ALS. horrible.

This.  Budgets applied to everyone else, not him.