collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Who are our children's heroes?  (Read 6278 times)

WarriorFan

• All American
Who are our children's heroes?
« on: August 26, 2018, 06:32:29 PM »
With the passing of John McCain and many of us calling him a hero, I started wondering, who are our children's heroes?

My heroes growing up were:
Sports:  Bart Starr, Robin Yount, Sidney Moncrief
Politics:  Ronald Reagan and Henry Kissinger
Military:  The Flying Tigers
Business:  my grandfather

Who fills this role now?  Is it as important as it was 30-50 years ago? Is the young generation too inherently narcissistic to have heroes?  I honestly have no idea - outside of family - who kids could look up to these days!
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Blackhat

• All American
Re: Who are our children's heroes?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 06:59:42 PM »
Jesus Christ

Looking for any politician to be your hero is looking in the wrong place.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 07:03:07 PM »
My No. 1 heroes were my father and mother; it's corny but true. My No. 2 hero was my older brother.

Beyond that, I had sports heroes (Larry Csonka, Walt Frazier, a few others including, yes, O.J.), music heroes (Beatles), entertainment heroes (Carroll O'Connor), etc.

I would hope that my wife is one of my now-grown kids' heroes. She's an incredible woman and a great mom. Beyond that, I'm sure it's the usual assortment of sports, music, entertainment heroes, maybe a political hero.

And I hope that when they have kids, they will be heroes, too!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 07:41:16 PM »
1. My dad
2. My maternal grandfather

That's it.

As for my kids, I simply strive to be a good role model.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 08:01:34 PM »
I haven't had heroes since I was 7.  That being said, I haven't had many villains either.  I recognized human frailty at an early age.
For my 11 year old....
Lin Manuel Miranda.
Steph Curry.
Justin Verlander.
Phineas.  Ferb.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 08:21:26 PM »
Yeah .. I can't say I have any heroes.    I think I could list out a ton of people who I admire in one way or another, though.

I imagine my kids' heroes are all Youtube authors.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 08:27:17 PM »
Us 90's kids were all about Griffey.

I imagine my kids' heroes are all Youtube authors.

Believe the kids these days love "Ninja", the Fortnite player.  He seems to recognize that and try to set a good example, at least.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninja_(streamer)

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2018, 08:48:23 PM »
From my 12 year old when i asked:
- You and mom
- Lorenzo Cain - we're in KC so i asked why he's still considered "hero" status and it was a combination of what he did to get the Royals to back to back Series, his joy of playing, and the respect of his teammates.
- MLK

Sample size of 2 (including Tower's kid along with mine) i don't think we need to worry about the next generation.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2018, 09:26:00 PM »
I haven't had heroes since I was 7. 

This. I guess Minnie Minoso (White Sox left fielder) was my hero until i was 8 or 9. After that I was too happy/busy being a kid to need heroes. Tons of people I loved/admired but I didn't put them on a pedestal.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2018, 09:41:11 PM »
This. I guess Minnie Minoso (White Sox left fielder) was my hero until i was 8 or 9. After that I was too happy/busy being a kid to need heroes. Tons of people I loved/admired but I didn't put them on a pedestal.

I absolutely put my dad on a pedestal, and he never disappointed me.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2018, 10:29:30 PM »
This. I guess Minnie Minoso (White Sox left fielder) was my hero until i was 8 or 9.

When I was about 9 my uncle took me to a game at Comisky. We had front row field level seats down the left field line. Right before the game somebody said to me "if there is a foul pop up hit down here, duck under your seat because that fellow Minoso will do whatever he can to catch the ball and you don't want to be in his way". I spent the rest of the game praying that no one hit a ball my way.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2018, 09:49:36 AM »
Role models are different, but a person who needs a hero has already failed.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2018, 10:13:21 AM »

Yes, maybe I unintentionally compared the concepts of "role model" and "hero."

Still, my dad served valiantly under Patton in WWII and was the classic "self-made man." He was an orphan, put himself through trade school, and went on to become a valuable contributor to society and a fantastic father with unimpeachable morals and ethics.

So I might argue he was both a hero and role model. Of course, I'm biased.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2018, 10:39:09 AM »

As F Scott Fitzgerald famously stated, "Show me a hero and I'll write you a tragedy". People are certainly capable of incredible acts of heroism and people also can/should be considered role models. But heroes? Not so much.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2018, 11:45:06 AM »
For me, probably Steve Rogers.

For my child, probably Elmo or Abby Cadabby.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2018, 11:46:17 AM »
It is an interesting question. Both of my parents are flawed (as are everyone's). I love them deeply, and admire certain aspects of them which I wish to emulate, but I do not consider them heroes.

Heroes certainly exist in our day and age. They aren't necessarily the people who are always on TV or the front page. Celebrities are rarely true heroes.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2018, 11:56:08 AM »
Parents, grand parents, siblings, some former coworkers, teachers, a boss or mentor.  Depends on the definition.

In my view there are heroic acts done by people whether it is donating a kidney or blood marrow, running into a burning fire, etc.  Society today makes it impossible to be a hero because of Information Age.  The heroes of yesteryear would be killed in social media as so many are today. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2018, 01:46:51 PM »
As F Scott Fitzgerald famously stated, "Show me a hero and I'll write you a tragedy". People are certainly capable of incredible acts of heroism and people also can/should be considered role models. But heroes? Not so much.

I agree with this.  Don't have, and never really have had personal heroes.  There are numerous people that have my utmost respect and whom I consider role models...but not heroes.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2018, 03:07:27 PM »
I'm sensing almost a negative connotation with the word hero for a lot of people. Is that true or am I just reading too much into it?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2018, 03:32:45 PM »
When it comes to sports as a little kid, I had favorites that I was crazy about (Carl Yastrzemski, Jerry West and Wilt Chamberlain, Emerson Boozer) but I wouldn't have called them "heroes" even as a little kid.

My parents were great and I am lucky to have had them, but while I always loved, admired and respected them the term "hero" never entered my mind when thinking of them.

I always figured heroes are guys who risked their lives to help/save others, like policemen and firemen and soldiers.  Never even gave the idea of heroes any thought until this thread.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2018, 03:44:34 PM »
I'm sensing almost a negative connotation with the word hero for a lot of people. Is that true or amt I just reading too much into it?

No negative connotation IMO, just a realization that even those with heroic moments or qualities are human. Putting someone you love or respect on a pedestal really isn't honest of you or fair to him or her.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2018, 07:45:25 PM »
No negative connotation IMO, just a realization that even those with heroic moments or qualities are human. Putting someone you love or respect on a pedestal really isn't honest of you or fair to him or her.

I kinda agree, Lenny. I am always wary when the media puts someone on a pedestal as some kind of a hero.

On a personal level, I think we all need someone to try to look up to and emulate. Hero may be the wrong word. Role model is probably too tame, but maybe closer to what it should be.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2018, 08:26:14 PM »
I guess I don't view hero and putting someone on a pedestal as the same thing. If the implication of being hero means they must be perfect, then does that mean that heroes don't exist? What's the word for someone who has committed heroic actions but is still a flawed human being?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2018, 09:32:09 PM »
Heroes certainly exist in our day and age. They aren't necessarily the people who are always on TV or the front page. Celebrities are rarely true heroes.

I really like this, Coleman. Very astute.

When Jordan came out of retirement the first time, the spring of 1995, my son was 7 and was a huge NBA fan.

We were sitting together in the living room watching the Bulls play at Detroit. Jordan goes for something like 30-10-10 and has a few spectacular plays, and my boy is bouncing off the walls. After one particularly great play, my son says, "Oh my god ... he's not human."

And I say, "I know what you mean - that he's so good at basketball it's like he's not human. But you know what? Michael is human. He has made many mistakes in his life and he also has done some fine things. He's just a regular guy who happens to be great at what he does. Just like Grandpa is a regular guy who was great at what he did before he retired. And just like, someday, you will be a regular guy who is great at what you do."

My son seemed reasonably satisfied with that explanation.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2018, 09:44:31 PM »

When Jordan came out of retirement the first time, the spring of 1995, my son was 7 and was a huge NBA fan.

We were sitting together in the living room watching the Bulls play at Detroit. Jordan goes for something like 30-10-10 and has a few spectacular plays, and my boy is bouncing off the walls. After one particularly great play, my son says, "Oh my god ... he's not human."

And I say, "I know what you mean - that he's so good at basketball it's like he's not human. But you know what? Michael is human. He has made many mistakes in his life and he also has done some fine things. He's just a regular guy who happens to be great at what he does. Just like Grandpa is a regular guy who was great at what he did before he retired. And just like, someday, you will be a regular guy who is great at what you do."

My son seemed reasonably satisfied with that explanation.

I'm sure he was - it was a perfect explanation.