[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: So long, RPI  (Read 17312 times)

Its DJOver

• All American
Re: So long, RPI
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2018, 03:07:41 PM »

See I don't.  You judge a team by how it performs as a team on the court based on the whole season.  I don't think factors like injuries, or when certain wins or losses occur, should matter at all.

In no other sport does that stuff matter.

Curious what you think about conference tourney's then?  We played Nova three times last year, and if we had won any of those I think we would have been dancing.  However, I think beating them on March 8th would have given us a higher seed than if we would have beaten them on January 28th.  Now part of that would be neutral court vs home court, plus beating them on March 8th would have given us at least one more Q1 game, but the selection committee is human.  If the factors that you mentioned shouldn't matter at all, then wouldn't it just be easier to have a computer decide the field?  That didn't work in football, and I don't see how it could work in basketball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2018, 03:13:08 PM »
Curious what you think about conference tourney's then?  We played Nova three times last year, and if we had won any of those I think we would have been dancing.  However, I think beating them on March 8th would have given us a higher seed than if we would have beaten them on January 28th.  Now part of that would be neutral court vs home court, plus beating them on March 8th would have given us at least one more Q1 game, but the selection committee is human.  If the factors that you mentioned shouldn't matter at all, then wouldn't it just be easier to have a computer decide the field?  That didn't work in football, and I don't see how it could work in basketball.

No I don't think a March 8 victory should matter anymore than a January victory should matter.  I like the committee concept and how they use objective data to guide their decision making.  I don't think it should be all objective.

I just think the discussions should be about Team A v. Team B and how they performed over their whole season.  And how they performed as a team regardless of injury.  You still need to have subjective decision making under that scenario as well.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2018, 03:20:29 PM »

No I don't think a March 8 victory should matter anymore than a January victory should matter.  I like the committee concept and how they use objective data to guide their decision making.  I don't think it should be all objective.

I just think the discussions should be about Team A v. Team B and how they performed over their whole season.  And how they performed as a team regardless of injury.  You still need to have subjective decision making under that scenario as well.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I also don't think that this happens 100% if the time.  The past couple of years, certain teams have gotten preferable treatment from the committee based on their coaches name being Boeheim.  Now I'm not advocating for a BCS like system, but if it always uses the same formula, it should be consistent in its team selection

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2018, 03:26:44 PM »
I don't necessarily disagree, but I also don't think that this happens 100% if the time.  The past couple of years, certain teams have gotten preferable treatment from the committee based on their coaches name being Boeheim.  Now I'm not advocating for a BCS like system, but if it always uses the same formula, it should be consistent in its team selection

Oh I agree it's not what it happening now.  And will likely never happen because emotions (like conference tournament wins) get involved.  But that's the ideal that I would be shooting for.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2018, 03:28:44 PM »

See I don't.  You judge a team by how it performs as a team on the court based on the whole season.  I don't think factors like injuries, or when certain wins or losses occur, should matter at all.

In no other sport does that stuff matter.
I would agree. Though the NCAA has accounted for some injuries in the past. 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2018, 03:54:57 PM »
Is the NET an acronym?  I assumed so, since it is in all caps.  However, they didn't tell us what it stands for.  Any guesses?

Nukem
Eye
Test

:P

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2018, 03:58:24 PM »
Why? Is there any other sport where a regular season game at the beginning of the season means less than a regular season game at the end of the season?

NCAA Football

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2018, 04:00:15 PM »
Nukem
Eye
Test

It is a predictive  model.  So, well, it is sort of an eye test.  But, I’ll give that honor to the Ncaa Evaluation Tool.   ;)

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2018, 04:12:40 PM »
This thread title should be "RIP RPI."

#epicfail

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2018, 04:33:52 PM »
The one thing I can't stand is a system that uses past year's performance to seed this year's rating. Although those methods might actually give a closer result to "ultimate reality"...it seems unjust.

So at least the RPI had that intention...and if the article is right the new system hopefully will do that as well:

"The NCAA Evaluation Tool, which will be known as the NET, relies on game results, strength of schedule, game location, scoring margin, net offensive and defensive efficiency, and the quality of wins and losses. "

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2018, 04:35:03 PM »
It is a predictive  model.  So, well, it is sort of an eye test.  But, I’ll give that honor to the Ncaa Evaluation Tool.   ;)

We finally found a use for Google Glass!

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2018, 05:06:12 PM »
Why? Is there any other sport where a regular season game at the beginning of the season means less than a regular season game at the end of the season?
A young team can be much better at year end. They should be looking for the best at large teams. Look at it this way what if MU losses both games in NIT and at Indiana. MU finally jells as a team sometime after that and is playing very well in February. Do you think those November losses should keep MU out of the tournament? As far as other sports they take you based on record. The NCAA takes you based on subjective observations.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2018, 05:31:47 PM »
Nukem
Eye
Test

I thought I read somewhere that it stood for

NCAA evaluation tool

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2018, 05:34:02 PM »
A young team can be much better at year end. They should be looking for the best at large teams. Look at it this way what if MU losses both games in NIT and at Indiana. MU finally jells as a team sometime after that and is playing very well in February. Do you think those November losses should keep MU out of the tournament? As far as other sports they take you based on record. The NCAA takes you based on subjective observations.

First, if Marquette loses both games in the NIT and @Indiana, those games wouldn't "keep them out of the tournament." All three would be quality losses.

Second, individual games don't keep teams out of a tournament. Its the entire resume. The entire resume should be considered equally regardless of when the game was played.

Finally, I don't want the best teams in the tournament. I want the teams that earn their bids. Sometimes better teams don't get the job done. They shouldn't be rewarded with a tournament bid over a team with a better resume just because someone subjectively decides that they are playing better at the end of the season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2018, 05:39:07 PM »
Injuries are a big guessing game. 2010? Onuaku from Cuse went down with a “quad strain” in the BET. Cuse told the NCAA that he would be back by the tournament(helping their #1 seed claim) and he never came back.

All of this discussion screams for Wins Above Bubble. Rewards teams for winning games, just not on the “stats.” Doesn’t penalize mid majors like Loyola who dominate their league and don’t get to play high majors for various reasons.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2018, 05:52:45 PM »
I don't mind when the committee uses injury situations to move schools up or down seed lines because of the a availability or absence of a key player. If the school is already in the field regardless moving them up.or down a line or 2 is no big deal.

What I absolutely hate is the argument that was made last year reagarding Norte Dame. Where they actually considered strongly including them,in the field with a resume that wasn't worthy because Colson was hurt for much of the season and came back at the end.

You can't just give them wins they didn't earn because a key player was hurt.

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2018, 06:18:00 PM »
First, if Marquette loses both games in the NIT and @Indiana, those games wouldn't "keep them out of the tournament." All three would be quality losses.

Second, individual games don't keep teams out of a tournament. Its the entire resume. The entire resume should be considered equally regardless of when the game was played.

Finally, I don't want the best teams in the tournament. I want the teams that earn their bids. Sometimes better teams don't get the job done. They shouldn't be rewarded with a tournament bid over a team with a better resume just because someone subjectively decides that they are playing better at the end of the season.

I never really know how to address this (or know if it’s taken into account). Say a preseason #1 team played well early in the season during OOC. Still #1 going into conference play.  They get to conference play and they get rolled and win like 15-20% of their conference games. Do you then average out their 2 halves and call it a day? 

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2018, 06:20:19 PM »
will be interesting to see coaches and ADs reaction to the NET as it is not a verifiable measurement. 

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2018, 06:30:32 PM »
Broeker tweeted out approval already.....so MU likes the move.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2018, 06:39:07 PM »
Though, I should have added what they think come Selection Sunday....

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2018, 09:03:02 PM »
NCAA really does need to reveveal what the outcomes would been over the last 2 or 3 years for a reference point.  Oh wait, that might tell us that Boeheim should have been shoved aside....??

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2018, 09:27:50 PM »

I do wonder if Marquette knew this was coming. Would explain why they scheduled Presbyterian late when in the past they have decided to not play all their possible non-conference games.
TAMU

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2018, 09:34:52 PM »

never mind. LlLe beat me to it.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2018, 09:57:00 PM »
NCAA Football

Does it? I honestly don't follow college football.
TAMU

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2018, 10:13:21 PM »
I do wonder if Marquette knew this was coming. Would explain why they scheduled Presbyterian late when in the past they have decided to not play all their possible non-conference games.

I believe my preview for Presbyterian is tomorrow, but I think they are a solid add regardless. Not just a "not bad for July" add, but simply a good buy game.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.